Quantcast

Well isn't this lovely

I don't know if this is advice seeking or more of a rant. I am in a lot of pain right now and not at all happy about it.

I recently (about two months ago) started running again. I love running- good physical results and a huge increase in my mental/emotional well-being. Problem is, I've frequently been getting migraines within a few hours after my run. Once in a while (like tonight) they are so bad I am rendered completely useless- can't see/think straight, nauseated, dizzy, etc. I've tried different things to try to head them off- make sure I stay hydrated, eat properly, don't run when it is really hot out... but there is no consistency. I called my doctor tonight and left him a message. I do NOT want to give up running.

Anyone else deal with this? I'm pretty frustrated right now.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
My girlfriend has pretty much the same thing. basically when her heart rate gets too high too quick she gets one.

I'll ask her about her meds when she gets home. I think she uses indomethacin as a preventative and raves about how good it is.

Also she's worked out a correlation between red wine and an increased risk of migrane during exercise the next day-this has been the hardest thing for both of us to deal with.

basically she monitors her heart rate and raised it gradually and doesn't get it too high during exercise.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I got my first migraine in 10 years (!!!) the other day from doing a crossfit while too dehydrated. I don't have too much advice to give besides make sure that you are properly watered up, and that doesn't mean have a glass of water before your workout...

I wish you the best, migraines are terrible and there are so many triggers.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
OK showed her your story and she says its pretty damn similar to hers.

Like I said she has been getting very good results with indomethacin as a preventative taken with food about an hour before exercise. She couldn't run or play sport for a while before finding a good doctor and getting the right meds. She also had a few doctors who didn't really take her seriously and it wasn't till she went to a neurologist that it got sorted.

She also carries Sumatriptan tablets with her for the rare occasion that she does feel one coming on she takes this and it really decreases the severity of the migraine.

Good luck with it all.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Aleve or Ibuprofen 1/2-1 hour before you exercise will work just as well as Indocin. They are all NSAIDs. Just make sure to take them with some food.

margam_man

Chimp
Jun 28, 2008
do u warm down after your run. it is importnat you warm down unless you muscles wont regenerate properley