Quantcast

Well, it's official now: I'm going to Switzerland!

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Hell yeah!
After about a year being unhappy with my current job, I decided to try my luck and search a new workplace. So I started to search in my near area for a new job, but there really weren't good opportunities.
Talking to a friend, which started working after the university in Switzerland, it turns out that he would have a job for me. The guy runs beside his normal job a small personnel office. The Swiss people were always a treat working with them, so I gave it a chnace.
Long story short: I was in two companys to talk to them and they both wanted me immediately.:thumb:

So I had to decide.

After some rethinking and back and forths, I decided to pull the trigger.

I will move to Zurich and start working on the 1st of April!

Needless to say, I am pretty pumped!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
you realize that you're going to have to be passive-aggressively neutral about everything now, don't you?

congrats tho...hope it works out

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Switzerland is still one of my favourite places that I've visited. Even if it did cost a small fortune while being there..

Congrats. Enjoy it!

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Congrats, I'm glad you are finally escaping the squalor of the Italian alps and moving to a magical land of mountains and rivers.

Here's a Swiss board meeting to get you started:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I hate you.

Yeah, Zurich is uber nice. No complications with residency / job permit etc?
Thanks monkeys!

Actually no.
The companies in Switzerland do all that stuff for you. It's pretty much as easy as it gets. There are also a lot of deals between Switzerland and the states of the EU which guarantees you your money after retirement, etc.
The only thing I have to do now is searching a flat-shearing community to get me a little into social life. And buying a trailbike.:D

Otherwise I get hooked up with home office and a car by the company, which is absolutely awesome.
The offer was ridiculously good. I will make a lot more money there, even with the higher costs for life.:weee:

I look at it as an adventure. Making the best possible out of it on both the private and business side of life. The plan is to stay for about five years, but who knows, right?
Seems like a good idea to stay in a neutral country with all the stuff going on right now.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have always been suspicious of Ricola Cough drops. They are expensive cough candy. After you get settled can you look into that for us?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Yup, seems like the SNB reacted on my quitting :D
Already a 20% raise before starting to work (compared to €uroland) isn't bad!
But the best thing is, that the business the new company is doing, is not dependent from other countries. They are just doing business inside of Switzerland.
So hopefully there won't any problems coming up.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'd swatch out for the 51
http://watchguy.co.uk/review-a-trip-inside-the-swatch-sistem51-eta-c10111/

EDIT - jesus, just perused the comments, and its like reading a RM thread on damper cart designs. I'm now concerned about googling "watch monkey" for fear it actually exists (and where Brad Flynn currently resides)
That article is pure gold indeed, all that is missing is "moar shimz!" :brows: The 51 is an inexpensive funky watch that is way more interesting than any quartz or LCD product in its price range, and the precision of mine beats automatic movements that are an order of magnitude more expensive.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
So today I had a conversation with my boss and the CEO of this madhouse.
They basically told me, that I can get whatever I want, if I stay in the group. They understand, that I want to grow and change my position from leading the Project Management to something else and that I want to work a few years abroad.
They don't want to see me go.

The thing is, I am currently completely underpaid (culture of only the boss can earn money and all the others are basically slaves), overworked (me and my colleague [yes a company which earns 50 milion per year in plant construction has only two project managers] do the management on over 100 projects per year from 50k to a few million Euros in plant construction, you can imagine, how much quality our work has reached :() and really frustrated (the company hires people in the administration and sales department and not in the technical bureaus and production).

Every time I told those problems (general chaos, not enough technicians to get the job done) to the boss, he just went on and didn't even listened really.
Now, that I resigned, they are shocked and tell me I can get whatever I want?
It's a trap I recon :D

So my new company offered me 3.4 times as much(!) with the same benefits as here.
What should I do? Just go on or negotiate?

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Always negotiate except if you really want to leave don't waste your time. However for future use its worth while telling them what your are really worth if they every feel like inviting your back later on.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Do it. Switzerland is calling and their currency is the new gold. Words are cheap, people stick to their old habits, you will be back to old ways a year from now.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Yeah, just slept over it.
All about the conversation was to make me stay. They didn't have a concept, what job I should do in the future, just telling me, they need good people for their management, I am the one, tons of possibilities, yadayada, blabla.
They didn't even make me an offer.
I am over it. I will say "Thank you, but I have to learn to play the Alphorn."

What really pisses me off, is, they don't appreciate the work we're doing. Like we are some kind of secretary (no offense!) or something.
In our business the project management is the most important link between client, suppliers and internal departments. Me and my mate are getting tons of work done (over 50 projects for each one, runtimes normally half a year, often longer), are responsible for a sh!tload of money, the layouts, specifications, parts lists, dates, the traveling, etc. and every fitter and trainee that is on-site for two weeks per month gets more money then us.

And I don't even get a third person to get the job done.

So, yeah, it's over.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, just slept over it.
All about the conversation was to make me stay. They didn't have a concept, what job I should do in the future, just telling me, they need good people for their management, I am the one, tons of possibilities, yadayada, blabla.
They didn't even make me an offer.
I am over it. I will say "Thank you, but I have to learn to play the Alphorn."

What really pisses me off, is, they don't appreciate the work we're doing. Like we are some kind of secretary (no offense!) or something.
In our business the project management is the most important link between client, suppliers and internal departments. Me and my mate are getting tons of work done (over 50 projects for each one, runtimes normally half a year, often longer), are responsible for a sh!tload of money, the layouts, specifications, parts lists, dates, the traveling, etc. and every fitter and trainee that is on-site for two weeks per month gets more money then us.

And I don't even get a third person to get the job done.

So, yeah, it's over.
that's when you know its time to check out - that they don't appreciate you until they realize they are going to lose you. fvck 'em. they made their bed, now they have to sleep in it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
that's when you know its time to check out - that they don't appreciate you until they realize they are going to lose you. fvck 'em. they made their bed, now they have to sleep in it.
About 9 months ago my immediate manager came to me with a "great opportunity" which amounted to more in-depth technical/architectural work ALONG with the already 50-60 hours of work I was doing. I told him it sounded like an excellent promotional opportunity to which he replied, "You know management isn't going to go for that."

Told him straight up there was no way I viewed any of it as a "great opportunity" and wouldn't do it. And to top it off, I checked out - 40 hours for me per week. Don't do anything outside of that any more. And so it goes...

:homer:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
About 9 months ago my immediate manager came to me with a "great opportunity" which amounted to more in-depth technical/architectural work ALONG with the already 50-60 hours of work I was doing. I told him it sounded like an excellent promotional opportunity to which he replied, "You know management isn't going to go for that."

Told him straight up there was no way I viewed any of it as a "great opportunity" and wouldn't do it. And to top it off, I checked out - 40 hours for me per week. Don't do anything outside of that any more. And so it goes...

:homer:
that's about where i'm at. my annual performance review is coming up. if i only get a merit increase we're going to have a very serious conversation about adjusting my salary based on the fact that i've been working close to 2 FTE for 10 months now, and that its no longer a "temporary situation".

the open positions in france and sweden are still on my mind tho...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
that's about where i'm at. my annual performance review is coming up. if i only get a merit increase we're going to have a very serious conversation about adjusting my salary based on the fact that i've been working close to 2 FTE for 10 months now, and that its no longer a "temporary situation".
Unless there is major mgmt change I suspect they will try to placate you. Managers are who they are and change is unlikely if they aren't tossed...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Unless there is major mgmt change I suspect they will try to placate you. Managers are who they are and change is unlikely if they aren't tossed...
our dept got a new global director about a year ago. he was from our EU group. we rarely see him. I'm slowly starting to pack out my personal belongings from my cube.