Quantcast

Well, I've gone and done it...........

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:drool:

Must keep convincing myself to save money for moving... Must not convince myself to sell everything I own and buy a D70 and a bunch of glass... Keep... Holding... On...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
what's a good price for a D70 body these days? in st martin a place was selling one for $875, or an even grand w/ a lens.
Got the body, Nikkor lens kit, 2GB CF card, extra batter and other assorted schwag for $1200.

Best I could find, but there's probably better.

-S.S.-

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
BTW... Its totally an addiction. Is she interested in photog?

heres my stable...
Mamiya 7II Med format rangefinder. 6x7

'70s Nikon FG-20 35mm with motordrive

not to mention a bunch of other old 'cool' cameras.

Its great, I love it.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
Got the body, Nikkor lens kit, 2GB CF card, extra batter and other assorted schwag for $1200.

-S.S.-
You spent $1200 on a *camera*?
That makes $30,000 pick-ups look like a bargain! :nuts:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
My photographer buddy bought a D70 a few months ago... he said the camera has rekindled his passion for photography...

He send me some pix... some are timed exposures and we were suprised at how very little noise there was in the dark areas.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
I can't afford a wife with a hobby like that. :p

-S.S.-
Well, the upside is that camera lenses retain their value like nothing else in the world. So, if it ever comes down to it, you can usually sell off your glass for most of what you paid for it.

As far as the wife goes, well, I hear they cost you a lot of money when you get rid of them so you may be SOL on that one... :p

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
N8 said:
some are timed exposures and we were suprised at how very little noise there was in the dark areas.
Compare the D70 with other prosumer DSLRs and you'll be surprised how much noise it really has.

I recently did a bunch of research for work, looking for a DSLR under $2000. I compared the Canon Digital Rebel, Canon 20D, Nikon D70, Pentax *ist DS and Minolta 7D. Out of all of them, the D70 had the most noise.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
pixelninja said:
Compare the D70 with other prosumer DSLRs and you'll be surprised how much noise it really has.

I recently did a bunch of research for work, looking for a DSLR under $2000. I compared the Canon Digital Rebel, Canon 20D, Nikon D70, Pentax *ist DS and Minolta 7D. Out of all of them, the D70 had the most noise.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page14.asp

Really not trying to turn this into an e-discussion of noise levels, I've just spent a lot of hours as well researching the various dSLRs. Canon offers a lower ISO than Nikon which means that at the lowest ISO the camera is capable of, you'll find more noise. As a matter of fact, from the images I've seen of both tests and real photographs, I prefer the Nikon's evenly spread, granular noise to Canon's smoother but more splotchy noise.

As far as Minolta goes, I actually really don't like their approach of sacrificing detail in order to reduce noise... I can do that after the fact in Photoshop if that's the approch I want to use.

Anyhow... It's pretty much a moot point. The current crop of low end dSLRs from Canon, Minolta, Nikon and Pentax are all really great cameras. Even though I typically agonize over decisions like these, in the end I know that whatever limitations I'll face in my photographs will be me and not the camera.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
binary visions said:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page14.asp

Really not trying to turn this into an e-discussion of noise levels, I've just spent a lot of hours as well researching the various dSLRs. Canon offers a lower ISO than Nikon which means that at the lowest ISO the camera is capable of, you'll find more noise. As a matter of fact, from the images I've seen of both tests and real photographs, I prefer the Nikon's evenly spread, granular noise to Canon's smoother but more splotchy noise.

As far as Minolta goes, I actually really don't like their approach of sacrificing detail in order to reduce noise... I can do that after the fact in Photoshop if that's the approch I want to use.

Anyhow... It's pretty much a moot point. The current crop of low end dSLRs from Canon, Minolta, Nikon and Pentax are all really great cameras. Even though I typically agonize over decisions like these, in the end I know that whatever limitations I'll face in my photographs will be me and not the camera.
YOou didnt conbsider Olympus in the mix... they make a very nice DSLR. E100 is super nice and they offer an 8.0 MP DSLR as well though I cant remember the model number.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
golgiaparatus said:
YOou didnt conbsider Olympus in the mix... they make a very nice DSLR. E100 is super nice and they offer an 8.0 MP DSLR as well though I cant remember the model number.
We gave the Olympus a look - and its 4/3 sensor size was really of interest to my wife. But its apparent lackluster performance in low light levels at high ISO settings eliminated it. The guy at the camera shop corroborated its apparent low-light issues.

Also the Nikon lens selection/prices seem to be better.

We have an Olympus point-n-shoot right now, and it's been a good little camera, albeit a bit dated.

-S.S.-

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
golgiaparatus said:
There's no way I'm going with a system that seems to have as little support as Olympus' 4/3 system.

I think it's a decent idea, but I'm not investing thousands of dollars in glass only to have the system become obsolete.

At the very least, if I end up deciding to sell everything - either getting out of photography or switching systems - I know full frame Nikon lenses will still be sold for good money in 5 years or so.

Not to mention I have a ton more options if I go with a standard Nikon or Canon mount.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Enjoy it man! (because I know its for you, not your wife) :D

I just got a Canon 10D a few weeks ago, and DSLRs are really really cool. I went from my 35mm AE-1 to point and shoot digitals, and then I got one stolen, and realized I really missed the control of a fully manual SLR. now, I have both a "point and shoot" and a fully manual SLR :D