Quantcast

Well maybe sometimes Michael Moore is on to something.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080708/BIZ/807080309

"In what hospital officials say is a financial decision but union members chalk up to spite, St. Luke's Cornwall Hospital has stopped accepting its own employees' health insurance.

The hospital stopped taking SEIU 1199's National Benefit Fund health insurance just before the hospital's 800 or so service and tech employees were scheduled to switch to it, even though the change had been negotiated into the 2004 contract, union officials said.

"It's insulting to work at a hospital you can't get sick in," said environmental services associate Brandon Weygant. <CLIP>"

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And I thought my "new" insurance sucked after the purchase.

Ok, it does still suck, but at least I can get sick at work.

splat

Nam I am
I don't blame the Hospital , I blame the insurance Company, they probably figured , when have all there employees on our health plan , there is no way they won't accept us because it is there own people , so the Tell the hospital they are going to pay at huge discounts thinking the hospital has to accept because of the employee. I don't blame the hospital I Blame the Insurance Company . I say Fvck the insurance co.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
It's a lot easier taking a 'sick day' when the Dr's office isn't down the hall...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I don't blame the Hospital , I blame the insurance Company, they probably figured , when have all there employees on our health plan , there is no way they won't accept us because it is there own people , so the Tell the hospital they are going to pay at huge discounts thinking the hospital has to accept because of the employee. I don't blame the hospital I Blame the Insurance Company . I say Fvck the insurance co.
The hospital stopped accepting the plan, accessed through Group Health Inc., because payments are chronically late and service is poor, said hospital spokesperson Judi Stokes.

"Payment takes several months more on average than with other insurance companies, and the process is very difficult," Stokes said. "There are customer-service issues. They have not responded appropriately when we've had problems in the past."

National Benefit Fund representatives say that is simply not true.

"We have been regularly paying our claims in 30 days or under, which is standard industry practice," said Fred Hagen, the fund's chief benefits officer. "Furthermore, our claims process is far from complicated. We accept electronic claims through a variety of vendors who are standard within the industry."
According to the hospital, it is the payment delivery, not the prices. The insurance company says otherwise.

This doesn't sound like the Union would pick a plan to stick it to the hospital. What's their benefit?