Quantcast

Well Monkeys, it was fun while it lasted...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Temp: 94F
Humidity: 52%

Summer has officially bitchslapped the awesome riding temps we've been enjoying so far this year.

Damn....

:(
I have to agree with you there. I remember one time at Clear Springs in MS, I forgot my gloves. I spent 3 hours slipping off the grips because my hands were too soaked.

But I did summer rides along the levee on my road bike. Kinda boring but it does have a soft spot in my heart: 6 months after starting those rides, I was on Hwy 1 along the Pacific Coast.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
even the whine is bigger in texas. :busted:
Yesterday was ~95 and ~95% humidity (rained last night).

I went through a full 100 oz. camelback and broke into the auxilliary 16oz. water bottle that I carry.

Need to start drinking gatorade before I leave the parking lot.

I used to ride in -20 in chicago, and I'll take the heat to the cold any time.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
It was soooooo nice out in Albuquerque, NM over the last couple weeks...

Low upper 50's/low 60's at night (slept with the windows open) and anywhere from the mid 80's to mid 90's during the day with less than 5% humidity... it was down right comfortable!

It's the monsoon season out there so it rained a bit just about every evening.

but now i am back in the hot humid Lousyana hellhole... upper 90's with humidity to match

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
111 here today, and we got rain the past two days. Not just rain, but monsoon like gales. Standing water all over the desert. Although mostly on or near road ways and drainage areas. Nature seems to be draining herself fairly well...
Will ride after work...damn the man and the humidity...

Did I mention I rode on Xmas here? New Years Day too. The desert has some advantages...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I heard someone on the street complaining it was too hot & that they should have stayed home.....IT WAS 86*!~!!!!!
:rofl:

You're fortunate that your intro to Midwestern summers has been so mild... wait until a normal summer rolls around. Or god forbid a hot one. :dead:

Hold on... you're from the South. You'll be fine. :D

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
so far the temp's this summer near me have rocked, there was only one day that the heat/humidity got to me...and that was April 19th

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This is the only topic that N 8 and I agree upon. Riding road in this kind of weather was not too bad, but mountain biking is like swimming in a hot tub of your own sweat.

The worse is the evening temps. I can deal with the heat from the San Joaquin Valley because it is cool at night. 80 degrees and 50% humidity means AC going all the time.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I prefer a shady trail over a sun-cooked road on a hot day. Actualy unless it is cold I do not like direct sunlight.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
try 86 degrees farenheit(30 degrees celcius) in the middle of winter and up to 120 degrees farenheit(48 degrees celcius) quite regularly in summer. and we ride all year round here. i rode nationals in january 110 degrees farenheit in full armour. you guys have it flipping awesome!!! stop complaining

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
try 86 degrees farenheit(30 degrees celcius) in the middle of winter and up to 120 degrees farenheit(48 degrees celcius) quite regularly in summer. and we ride all year round here. i rode nationals in january 110 degrees farenheit in full armour. you guys have it flipping awesome!!! stop complaining

heat isnt the killer, it's the 70-110% humidity that makes it suck...

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
I'm pretty much always uncomfortable once I start to sweat while riding. I don't care how I feel. ffs, I wear sweatshirts during summer rides to help me break a sweat.

The only difference heat/humidity make to me is how much water should I bring.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm pretty much always uncomfortable once I start to sweat while riding. I don't care how I feel. ffs, I wear sweatshirts during summer rides to help me break a sweat.

The only difference heat/humidity make to me is how much water should I bring.

I would have guessed you sweat all the time.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
The worst part about August heat, 100+ almost everyday, is that it feels like I'm going to tear something when I walk because my balls are stuck to my thighs.

I get envious when I see a dog laying down with it's balls on the cool concrete.

If I try that I'll get arrested for sure.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
deploying sac sounds good right now.

i'm not so envious that a dog can lick his balls, but that no one makes him stop

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
PMB= Pietermaritzburg? 30 in winter, 46 in summer, really? I think you're telling pork pies.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
PMB= Pietermaritzburg? 30 in winter, 46 in summer, really? I think you're telling pork pies.
nope... its been up to that a couple times this year, mostly its high 20's in winter and high 30's/ low 40's in summer. i wasnt qouting average temps, just what it gets up to and we still go ride. it depends which side of town you at. around montrose/ferncliff/hilton its not too bad but like scottsville/hayfields gets really hot.

Last edited:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
nope... its been up to that a couple times this year, mostly its high 20's in winter and high 30's/ low 40's in summer. i wasnt qouting average temps, just what it gets up to and we still go ride. it depends which side of town you at. around montrose/ferncliff/hilton its not too bad but like scottsville/hayfields gets really hot.
Better weather in PMB than in Durban that's for bloody sure. Yay for mountains.