Quantcast

Well my job at the USPS didn't work out...

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I just thought I'd vent on here since it's been a week without the monkey. I had taken a job with the USPS as a casual carrier. My job was to basicly deliver mail and that was it. Well little did I know that our local USPS office is retarded.

So they send you 80 miles out of your way, for 4 days of training which they pay you for and pay for your mileage and hotel. It's more of an orientation than anything. The people who tought that were very professional, very direct, and answered all questions. I figured hey, if this is how working for the USPS would be then it's good I got into it. I come home and go down a few days later about 40 miles away for the auto training to drive the little USPS cars. No biggy, they are suspose to pay for that mileage as well. They tell me to start work on Thursday (of last week).

So I show up on time, I have my OJI (on the job instructor) show me things I'm suspose to do, and I follow him around for an entire route. I think he said it had 500+ stops. In our area that is a lot of stops according to him. The route is suspose to be a 4.5hr route (well their paper says 5.5hr) to deliver. He does it in about 3. I kept that walking pace up but by the end of the day my feet were littered with blisters. You are suspose to have 3 days of OJI training. Everything seemed ok. I asked what time to report the next day and it was different than the previous day. I thought oh well, maybe I'm not in the system yet. So I come in and we do the same thing except he'd give me mail to help deliver. I was about 5 ft behind him on this day but things still finished in due time. I thought things were going good and such.

Come Saturday they told me that I wasn't going to get my 3rd day of training and that I'd have to do the entire route myself. I figured ok so I'd try it. I went in at 9:30. I was suspose to be there at 6:30 but that is the great communication that the USPS has with it's workers. They didn't care and I just went ahead and loaded my truck, did everything I was suspose to do, and went on about my job. While doing so they preach that you should be back in the office by 5 p.m. So around 2:30 I called and said there's no way I'd be done, I had like half the truck still full so they sent some people over to help. These "people" which were other USPS mail carriers told my supervisor that I had no sense of ugency. Well that wasn't a big surprise to me. I was tire, my feet were killing me, and I didn't have a real clue what I was doing. So after Saturday I got out of there at 6 p.m, and no one got their packages that day :( or their certified mail and some didn't get mail at all.

Yesterday was my final and last attempt at this after seeing how this place is ran. They told me to report at 6:30 a.m. So I came in at 6:30. My supervisor wasn't there yet so I had no idea what to do. Someone came over and had me help with delivering mail to the stations and sorting it. I explained to them that I had no training but it didn't matter. I did this until 11 a.m when I was informed that I'd be delivering 1/3 of a route (was more like half) of the one I was doing. I figured ok, it's pouring rain, my 4th day, and I should be able to do this in 2hrs, but since I'm new figure 4hrs. I went to go eat lunch and came back. They had given me express stuff to deliver which is right away. So I wait around, get my keys and load the truck. I leave at close to 1 p.m. I get the packages out and start delivering mail. I tried calling 2 different cell phones and 2 different office numbers to tell them that I wasn't going to be done by 5 p.m since that is when they want everyone back in there. So 5 p.m comes around and I still have like 6 blocks of mail to deliver. I got 4 of them done and just said screw it. I drove back, dropped everything off, put mail in bins which I think was right, and left. The one time that I got someone on the phone I was told that I had to "pick the pace up" and keep going. But it's a double standard. They want you to pick the pace up BUT do it safely. How safe can power walking with mail in each hand in the pouring rain be? Oh yeah I was written up for not using a turn signal OR my shoulder belt (though they tell you that you don't have to use the shoulder belt). I was like whatever. Time left, 6:15 p.m.

Needless to say I got home and basicly broke down. I tried so hard to stay with the job but with the case of being slow, being told that as a Casual employee you can be fired at any time, being told you're slow again, being told again and again about being fired for any reason, not being able to get a hold of anyone, not knowing who your supervisor is after asking 10 times, not given the 3rd day of training (not like it would have helped), given unrealistic time tables to finish things, being told if I fall or get hurt that I am not covered by anything by various full time carriers I figured it was time to call it quits. I basicly wanted to beat or hit something but knew as a federal job that wouldn't be a smart idea.

So my supervisor (who I think) calls me this morning at 9:30 asking why I'm not there. I go on to explain to him that I didn't think it was working out and he said "yeah I figured that". I really had no words at that point as that anger had sat in again. He goes to tell me that I better not use him or the USPS as a refrence because he'll give a accurate refrence of my inablity to call at 6:30 to tell him that I wasn't going to be in. I told him for one I didn't know what time I was suspose to be in because of the fact that I don't get a schedule, it's just day to day as needed but that didn't matter. He just got very argumentive with me about not using him or the company as a refrence. I told him that I wouldn't think about it and didn't plan on having any refrences with the USPS. Right after that coversation I knew that this wasn't and isn't the place for me.

So now I gotta go down and fill out some fourm saying that I quit. I also have to turn in my recepts for the hotel and mileage since they don't have their poop together. I'm dreading it though because if the others that I have to deal with act like this supervisor I dunno how I'll hold it all together. It feels very.....in the attack dealing with these people. I dunno if this office is just like this or the entire USPS deal but I dunno. I thought that maybe it would be a good step to get my foot into a door but they basicly pay you a lot ($18/hr) but work you 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week, with only Sunday's off. As a casual you get no rotating other days off, no benifits, no sick leave, no nothing. They make it sound to you that if you call in sick you can be fired, if you get written up for something you did while delivering mail (like stick it in the wrong box) you can get fired, if you piss wrong in the toliet you can get fired. I can't stand that type of attitude. No wonder so many people get work with the USPS and then quit. Atleast in the carrier position.

The funny thing is about all this is that I took all the tests, interviews, finger prints, background checks to be a "carreer" employee. That just means that they work you the same but you get benifits and you are backed by a union. I got stuck with this "casual" job because there were no openings for a "carreer" job.

I'm just venting my frustrations. It sucks to spend basicly a month-6 weeks trying to benifit yourself and your living conditions to have it all come down to this. I know that making $18/hr with no experence is like a godsend but it's not worth it. I'd rather make $10-12 and hour and have a life, normal working hours, and best of all semi-normal workers around me. For $18 it's like slave labor.

Rant over :)

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Zark said:
Wow Chris, that sucks unbelievably.
Tell me about it. I still have to go down today to sign whatever I am suspose to sign.

I know not all jobs will be butter, or easy, or you'll work with people you always will like. I know people don't always enjoy going to work but when it all boils down to it you're there to get paid, do work, and you must semi-enjoy whatever it is or else you wouldn't be there. We're not talking about flipping burgers or anything but long term working conditions. I have never once in my life been so pissed off at something. Even with my previous job that I got out of I wasn't this pissed off. It just drives me nuts!

So ofcourse my parents offer to send me to trade school OR the local community college if that's what I choose. It pisses me off that they wouldn't do this 6 years ago when I was just getting out of high-school. Like I really want to go back to school at 24 LOL. But if that's what has to be done then so be it.

I'd love to become a cop but in Santa Barbara that won't happen. Maybe Las Vegas though :)

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Not sure where you were working, but I know the one my dad worked for in Concord was as bad or worse. The management screwed up when he got injured on the job and wouldn't give him office work and he started reading the rule book. Became a shop steward and filed over 414 grievances for people in one year(I'm sure other years were just as bad.) It is amazing that the USPS works at all. The management got really pissed and trumped up some charges and got him fired. That didn't work out for them and they had to bring him back and pay for all the time he was off. Of course, the temp managers got fired, but the real a**holes just got transferred. Bunch of idiots.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
USPS, Fed-Ex, UPS, and DHL are all kind of the same. They offer very little training and tend to toss their employees to the wolves. It doesn't really sound like you were given a fair shot at your position with USPS.

I would imagine that they have a very high rate of turn-over and are probably swamped with work and don't have enough employees to get it all done. Which leads to one thing--disgruntled employees who will only work hard enough to not get fired.

Don't sweat it, it doesn't sound like being a causal employee is a very good deal to me. It sounds like a temp. job, which isn't really a job you can count on. You wouldn't buy house, car, etc. with a job like this...

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
lovebunny said:
Not to be too funny, but that's what I said when I left yesterday. I can see how the women up in Goleta shot 6 people. Granted she was a wack job.

The funny thing is most of the city carriers and staff are all established in their system. I think the youngest person I met had 10 years in there. So go figure what happens with people that have less than 10 years. I had less than 5 days but still. Every day a new person would ask me if I was staying around. I was like..........I guess so I'll try it before calling it quits. A lot said to just tuff it out and what not but sometimes you can only tuff so much out before cracking. The next casual guy has been there for 3 weeks. So that tells you right there that casuals don't last the 6 months that they can be hired for.

Now it's just starting over trying to decide what to do. My girlfriend gets out of school in June and she has no idea what she wants to do so it might be a good time to relocate and start fresh someplace other than here. The job market sucks here for jobs that will allow you to get a head. I understand that any job I take I'll start at the bottom. I'm not that stupid. But to a point you can only do what you can do. This I can't do.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Spunger said:
Like I really want to go back to school at 24 LOL. But if that's what has to be done then so be it.
It's NEVER too late to go to school. In fact it can be better when you are older.

And if you think that 24 is too old, try going back at 35.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Ciaran said:
It's NEVER too late to go to school. In fact it can be better when you are older.

If you go back to a JC or some sort of accelerated program, you'll find that half of the students will be a lot older than you. When I went back to the University of Phoenix, I was 28 and felt like a young kid in some of my classes...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Spunger said:
Like I really want to go back to school at 24 LOL. But if that's what has to be done then so be it.
Man, and to think I will have my BSCS after this class and I turn 35 this year.

I have yet to see a job description that said "4 year degree prior to turning 25..." A degree is a degree, no matter how old you are. I have had people in my class who are early 20's and I have had people who were late 50's.

Without a degree, slave labor is about what you qualify for these days.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
jimmydean said:
Man, and to think I will have my BSCS after this class and I turn 35 this year.

I have yet to see a job description that said "4 year degree prior to turning 25..." A degree is a degree, no matter how old you are. I have had people in my class who are early 20's and I have had people who were late 50's.

Without a degree, slave labor is about what you qualify for these days.
Well I know being 24 isn't old. I know that some people don't start their lives until they are much older so it's not like I don't have time. I don't want to think I have forever though. I'll have to take a look or go to the local community college and ask some questions, see if they have anything that offers me some intrest in learning. I know I'm into cars/bikes/electronics so somewhere in there has to be a potential for a job that I'd enjoy.

The one thing I'm excited for through all of this is the support from my family and girlfriend on all this. It's funny how it took something so lame as a job that didn't work out to give you some more options in life. Hell even posting on here has a better attitude and output with this. It's like some people never understand what it's like, and others have been there and done that. I think that's something I've pulled from ridemonkey, there's always been someone who's gone through something simlar. It makes it a little easier to cope and figure out what to do next.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My son has been looking at apprenticeships. He was a top welder in high school and thought about doing it as a job. A friend of mine went through an electricians apprenticeship program (company paid) and started out at $12 an hour. After 3 years, he became a journymen and now makes $38 an hour with more overtime chances than he knows what to do with.

His company has a contract with Intel, so he works on site there running mostly network cable. Not bad for the coin he's pulling.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
unfortunately you had to deal with gov't employees who pretty much have a cushy job with great benny's. I'm amazed that USPS is still in business. my company uses them to ship small, light items but i'd love to just ignore them completely. my previous company used DHL global mail which uses USPS to deliver and DHL rates were cheaper than USPS!!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Old thread. But I just have to back this statement. I went back to school two years ago at 26/27 and it is the best decision I have made in the last 15 years. Even if I've taken on debt, ruined my credit etc etc, it is more than worth it.

**** slave labour.

jhunm76

Chimp
May 24, 2014
I just thought I'd vent on here since it's been a week without the monkey. I had taken a job with the USPS as a casual carrier. My job was to basicly deliver mail and that was it. Well little did I know that our local USPS office is retarded.

So they send you 80 miles out of your way, for 4 days of training which they pay you for and pay for your mileage and hotel. It's more of an orientation than anything. The people who tought that were very professional, very direct, and answered all questions. I figured hey, if this is how working for the USPS would be then it's good I got into it. I come home and go down a few days later about 40 miles away for the auto training to drive the little USPS cars. No biggy, they are suspose to pay for that mileage as well. They tell me to start work on Thursday (of last week).

So I show up on time, I have my OJI (on the job instructor) show me things I'm suspose to do, and I follow him around for an entire route. I think he said it had 500+ stops. In our area that is a lot of stops according to him. The route is suspose to be a 4.5hr route (well their paper says 5.5hr) to deliver. He does it in about 3. I kept that walking pace up but by the end of the day my feet were littered with blisters. You are suspose to have 3 days of OJI training. Everything seemed ok. I asked what time to report the next day and it was different than the previous day. I thought oh well, maybe I'm not in the system yet. So I come in and we do the same thing except he'd give me mail to help deliver. I was about 5 ft behind him on this day but things still finished in due time. I thought things were going good and such.

Come Saturday they told me that I wasn't going to get my 3rd day of training and that I'd have to do the entire route myself. I figured ok so I'd try it. I went in at 9:30. I was suspose to be there at 6:30 but that is the great communication that the USPS has with it's workers. They didn't care and I just went ahead and loaded my truck, did everything I was suspose to do, and went on about my job. While doing so they preach that you should be back in the office by 5 p.m. So around 2:30 I called and said there's no way I'd be done, I had like half the truck still full so they sent some people over to help. These "people" which were other USPS mail carriers told my supervisor that I had no sense of ugency. Well that wasn't a big surprise to me. I was tire, my feet were killing me, and I didn't have a real clue what I was doing. So after Saturday I got out of there at 6 p.m, and no one got their packages that day :( or their certified mail and some didn't get mail at all.

Yesterday was my final and last attempt at this after seeing how this place is ran. They told me to report at 6:30 a.m. So I came in at 6:30. My supervisor wasn't there yet so I had no idea what to do. Someone came over and had me help with delivering mail to the stations and sorting it. I explained to them that I had no training but it didn't matter. I did this until 11 a.m when I was informed that I'd be delivering 1/3 of a route (was more like half) of the one I was doing. I figured ok, it's pouring rain, my 4th day, and I should be able to do this in 2hrs, but since I'm new figure 4hrs. I went to go eat lunch and came back. They had given me express stuff to deliver which is right away. So I wait around, get my keys and load the truck. I leave at close to 1 p.m. I get the packages out and start delivering mail. I tried calling 2 different cell phones and 2 different office numbers to tell them that I wasn't going to be done by 5 p.m since that is when they want everyone back in there. So 5 p.m comes around and I still have like 6 blocks of mail to deliver. I got 4 of them done and just said screw it. I drove back, dropped everything off, put mail in bins which I think was right, and left. The one time that I got someone on the phone I was told that I had to "pick the pace up" and keep going. But it's a double standard. They want you to pick the pace up BUT do it safely. How safe can power walking with mail in each hand in the pouring rain be? Oh yeah I was written up for not using a turn signal OR my shoulder belt (though they tell you that you don't have to use the shoulder belt). I was like whatever. Time left, 6:15 p.m.

Needless to say I got home and basicly broke down. I tried so hard to stay with the job but with the case of being slow, being told that as a Casual employee you can be fired at any time, being told you're slow again, being told again and again about being fired for any reason, not being able to get a hold of anyone, not knowing who your supervisor is after asking 10 times, not given the 3rd day of training (not like it would have helped), given unrealistic time tables to finish things, being told if I fall or get hurt that I am not covered by anything by various full time carriers I figured it was time to call it quits. I basicly wanted to beat or hit something but knew as a federal job that wouldn't be a smart idea.

So my supervisor (who I think) calls me this morning at 9:30 asking why I'm not there. I go on to explain to him that I didn't think it was working out and he said "yeah I figured that". I really had no words at that point as that anger had sat in again. He goes to tell me that I better not use him or the USPS as a refrence because he'll give a accurate refrence of my inablity to call at 6:30 to tell him that I wasn't going to be in. I told him for one I didn't know what time I was suspose to be in because of the fact that I don't get a schedule, it's just day to day as needed but that didn't matter. He just got very argumentive with me about not using him or the company as a refrence. I told him that I wouldn't think about it and didn't plan on having any refrences with the USPS. Right after that coversation I knew that this wasn't and isn't the place for me.

So now I gotta go down and fill out some fourm saying that I quit. I also have to turn in my recepts for the hotel and mileage since they don't have their poop together. I'm dreading it though because if the others that I have to deal with act like this supervisor I dunno how I'll hold it all together. It feels very.....in the attack dealing with these people. I dunno if this office is just like this or the entire USPS deal but I dunno. I thought that maybe it would be a good step to get my foot into a door but they basicly pay you a lot ($18/hr) but work you 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week, with only Sunday's off. As a casual you get no rotating other days off, no benifits, no sick leave, no nothing. They make it sound to you that if you call in sick you can be fired, if you get written up for something you did while delivering mail (like stick it in the wrong box) you can get fired, if you piss wrong in the toliet you can get fired. I can't stand that type of attitude. No wonder so many people get work with the USPS and then quit. Atleast in the carrier position.

The funny thing is about all this is that I took all the tests, interviews, finger prints, background checks to be a "carreer" employee. That just means that they work you the same but you get benifits and you are backed by a union. I got stuck with this "casual" job because there were no openings for a "carreer" job.

I'm just venting my frustrations. It sucks to spend basicly a month-6 weeks trying to benifit yourself and your living conditions to have it all come down to this. I know that making $18/hr with no experence is like a godsend but it's not worth it. I'd rather make $10-12 and hour and have a life, normal working hours, and best of all semi-normal workers around me. For $18 it's like slave labor.

Rant over :)
Ditto!!!
But at least you got paid more, I got paid 15 only but hey I figured its a step in the door, my so called trainer and bitchy supervisor was so rude, they kept knit picking until u broke down but I just put a straight face and delivered . I did not get proper training, I was ordered to follow around a mailman on my OJi. They were so rude. And then when it was your turn to deliver they say you're doing things wrong. Then I get fired. They don't care about CCA'S. Call this a rant but these lifers need to treat new people right. Usps is going down

Last edited: