Quantcast

Well, now this should make liberals love GW!!!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
ohio said:
Mercedes and VW are the only companies that sell diesels in the US.
I think after this year, no more TDI's in the US.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
ohio said:
Mercedes and VW are the only companies that sell diesels in the US. While I agree with you, diesel does burn dirtier. At this point it's a trade-off I'm probably willing to make to reduce CO2 emissions and oil dependency, (especially when you start talking diesel hybrids with plug-in capability), but you should recognize that there ARE trade-offs.

I was just looking at some information on Hondas. They have TDI CRV in the UK that gets 40 + mpg. The gasoline version in the states gets around 20 mpg. So the question becomes, how much dirtier is diesel? If you burn half as much do you still polute more than with gas? I wonder...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Diesel produces more Nitrogen Oxides (but both fuels produce way less of these than CO2 and CO) and slightly more particulate matter but significantly less CO2 (normally half or less than half). It's a bit of a trade off, but considering the situation we're in right now I think it's a better balance for the planet. It can be 'worse' if you have a really high number of diesels in an urban environment where there is little or no wind as the diesel pollution tends to settle more. Once it has dispersed it causes less long term problems than Petrol. Also there are filters for the particulate problem coming into the market now.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
ohio said:
Mercedes and VW are the only companies that sell diesels in the US. While I agree with you, diesel does burn dirtier. At this point it's a trade-off I'm probably willing to make to reduce CO2 emissions and oil dependency, (especially when you start talking diesel hybrids with plug-in capability), but you should recognize that there ARE trade-offs.

Yes, there are probably trade-offs but i don't know which and how much. I don't know that much about hybrids eather but as far as i've seen they are allways /petrol and if they are run by natural gas they still use upp the worlds fossile resourses. Bio gas on the other hand is renewable and also cleaner emissions wise.

A great advantage for diesels are that they all can run on 100% biodiesel=renewable energy=CO2 neutral.
The only "modification" you have to do is to replace all rubber hoses and sealings that come in contact with the fuel to ones made of Vitton. All VW allready have that buillt in from factory!

Another thing that speaks against ethanol powered petrol engines is that they use 15% fossile fuel and 85% renewable fuel. But in comparisson the renewable bit they use is about 30-40% bigger than the equivalent biodiesel car..!

Third thing that speaks for biodiesel is that ethanol (at least in Sweden) comes from cellulose from cut down forrests, while biodiesel is from Rape seed.

Aaaand...I will say this even though I know some will get furiously mad... The plant/tree that contains the highest percentige of cellulose, and actually also happens to be the plant of which most oil can be extracted from, is Hemp.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Ohio, or anyone else for that matter - What benefits, if any, do you see from running an engine off of straight vegetable oil (SVO)? I've read that the conversion of a diesel engine to run SVO is surprisingly straightforward.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Changleen said:
There are diesel hybrids too, now.
Yeah among Mercedes, the diesel hybrids are about 10% more efficient and offer faster acceleration and much more torque than petrol hybrids in the same model.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4588/

UPS is going with hydraulic hybrids, for their usage they blow petrol/diesel hybrids away.

EPA fact Sheet:
World's First Full Hydraulic Hybrid in a Delivery Truck

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and its industry partners unveiled an innovative new technology vehicle – the first-ever delivery van with a full series hydraulic hybrid drivetrain in a UPS vehicle.

EPA is leading the development of hydraulic hybrid vehicles. This breakthrough technology can cost-effectively reduce emissions and drastically reduce fuel consumption while maintaining or improving performance.

This advanced technology UPS demonstration vehicle achieves:

* 60-70% better fuel economy in laboratory tests
* 40% or more reduction in carbon dioxide, the primary greenhouse gas
* Ability to recoup additional cost for new hydraulic hybrid technology in less than 3 years.

In a full hydraulic hybrid, a hydraulic drivetrain replaces the conventional drivetrain and eliminates the need for a conventional transmission. It increases vehicle fuel economy in three ways: it permits the recovery of energy that is otherwise wasted in vehicle braking, it allows the engine to be operated at much more efficient modes, and it enables the engine to be shutoff during many operating conditions such as when the vehicle is decelerating and stopped at a light.

A delivery vehicle is an excellent application for hybrid technology since its service cycles involve numerous braking events. Hydraulic hybrid technology has significant commercial potential for a wide range of medium-sized vehicles such as urban delivery trucks, shuttle/transit buses, and waste disposal vehicles.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
reflux said:
Ohio, or anyone else for that matter - What benefits, if any, do you see from running an engine off of straight vegetable oil (SVO)? I've read that the conversion of a diesel engine to run SVO is surprisingly straightforward.

There are several benefits.
Its better for the enviroment, more lubricating for the engine, quieter engine noise, renewable energy source, support farmers from the US, don't steal other peoples natural resorses + save lifes, probably less taxed than a regular fuel is = less $ for GWB mor $ for you.

- side
Not all diesels can be converted. Injector pump has to be/swaped for a Bosch.
Two tank system and everything that comes with it takes up space.
If you're gonna use WVO you have to filter/heat/settle before you fill the car up.
You need somthing like a garage to store barrels n stuff.

Get an old VW or Mercedes and convert it. They are bullet proof.
Newer TDI/CDI's need remapping, but if done correctly work good.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
reflux said:
Don't know much about it. I assume what you're talking about is the same thing I've always called biodiesel, and rockwool also mentioned.

As long as it's backwards compatible with standard diesel, I think it's fantastic.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Here you go...

Q) Is waste vegetable oil (WVO) or straight vegetable oil (SVO) the same as Biodiesel?

No. Both WVO and SVO contain glycerin. Glycerin can be corrosive to some fuel components. While Biodiesel can be made from either WVO or SVO, the glycerin has been removed in Biodiesel.

What about SVO and WVO? What's the difference?

WVO means waste vegetable oil, or vegetable oil that is recycled, typically from restaurant fryers. SVO means straight vegetable oil, oil that has not been used yet. Biodiesel can be made from both sources of oil. Some people who "homebrew" biodiesel reclaim WVO from their local restaurants for free. Commercially manufactured biodiesel is usually (although not always) made from SVO. Biodiesel made from WVO typically has a higher gel point than biodiesel made from SVO, which means that WVO biodiesel will gel (and potentially clog fuel lines and filters) at a higher temperature than SVO biodiesel. Untreated petroleum diesel fuel can also gel in low temperatures, usually at temperatures lower than biodiesel. See the TDI FAQ entry on "winterizing" (http://tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-3.html#c) for more details on this phenomenon. Proper care must be taken to operate diesel vehicles on biodiesel in cold temperatures, either by adding anti-gel agents to your biodiesel, or lowering then blend of biodiesel used.

Can diesel engines can run on vegetable oil?

The original prototype of Rudolf Diesel's engine, demonstrated at the World's Fair in Paris in 1900, was powered by peanut oil. Diesel envisioned farmers growing their own fuel to power their tractors, or generators. (Henry Ford also envisioned his cars powered by farm-grown biofuels; the Model T was designed to run on ethanol). Modern diesel engines, however, operate at much higher pressures that Diesel's original designs. The viscosity of both WVO and SVO is insufficient to operate the relatively delicate fuel injector pumps. However, there are aftermarket conversion kits by Greasecar (http://www.greasecar.com), and Elsbett (http://www.elsbett.com) that will allow operation of some TDI engines on pure vegetable oil. Any such operation will require a tank heater. Some configurations require a second tank for starting and stopping the engine on regular diesel (or biodiesel). Details of such operation is beyond the scope of a mere FAQ, however, interested individuals are encouraged to do much more research before making a decision to convert any diesel vehicle to operate on pure SVO or WVO.