Quantcast

Well poop. I can't watch the Grand Prix.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I have the digital cable....I have Speed. But it's blacked out. It's only on TSN and RDS (Candian sprots networks). But I didn't order those networks as generally I don't give a crap about sprots networks.

30 miles away, and I see nothing. Sigh.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
fluff said:
Pity, it was one of the better ones.
yeah,
if you like a course that has a groove only 3/4 of a car width wide, thanks to all the rubber build up.

and montoya running over everyone he got close to.
no wonder mcclaren "no longer desires his services" for next year.

and kimi will be unbeatable if he makes the move to renault next year.
did anyone see him in that final round of qualifying ?
he used every inch of every turn on his hot lap.

we'll see if michelin has gotten their act together for indy this week.

BillT

Monkey
It was on par for the season as far as excitement goes (which is not very high)...you could have watched the first 5 laps and the last 5 and you would have seen everything worth seeing.

Hopefully, the USGP will be a little more exciting. At the very least, we'll see some nice drag races on the banked turn and front straight.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
dhbuilder said:
yeah,
if you like a course that has a groove only 3/4 of a car width wide, thanks to all the rubber build up.

and montoya running over everyone he got close to.
no wonder mcclaren "no longer desires his services" for next year.

and kimi will be unbeatable if he makes the move to renault next year.
did anyone see him in that final round of qualifying ?
he used every inch of every turn on his hot lap.

we'll see if michelin has gotten their act together for indy this week.
If you'd prefer the normal procession a la Australia, Malaysia, Monaco*, Barcelona, Silverstone, Imola...

F1 is poor at the moment, it kinda gives the lie to the old theory of improved mechanical grip producing better racing that aerodynamic grip - with the sticky tyres this year there is far less overtaking.

*actually Monaco is about the only place a procession can be interesting simply due to the track dimensions.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
fluff said:
Pity, it was one of the better ones.

Really, did someone actually get passed? Or maybe it was just another exceptional drag race start and fantastic pit strategy?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Westy said:
Really, did someone actually get passed? Or maybe it was just another exceptional drag race start and fantastic pit strategy?
Weell;

Montoya passed M Schumacher (then wiped out Rosberg trying the same move)
Schumacher passed Trulli
Montoya passed Coulthard
Lots of people passed R Schumacher
Coulthard passed Klien & Button
Massa passed Button
Schumacher passed Raikonnen.

So about 6 times as many passes as normal..:)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
fluff said:
He tooled around at the back in some old black crate that would only turn left.

Or he span in his grave, I dunno.
Span in his grave, isn't that limey for using a wrench?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
fluff said:
Weell;

Montoya passed M Schumacher (then wiped out Rosberg trying the same move)
Schumacher passed Trulli
Montoya passed Coulthard
Lots of people passed R Schumacher
Coulthard passed Klien & Button
Massa passed Button
Schumacher passed Raikonnen.

So about 6 times as many passes as normal..:)
yeah, ralph should have unfolded a lawn chair in that one hairpin.
as much time as he spent parked there.

from the post race and qualifying comments, it's anything but a popular track with the drivers.
alot of passes were made because of the cars getting two inches off line and into the marbles. it was also apparent that everyone was having excessive brale wear. which led to a little overdriving into the turns.
that's how kimi fell to victim to schumacher.
and alonso definately had brake issues at the end, driving no harder than he had to to win.

but you're right about the parade that f1 has evolved into.
the real competition nowadays seems to be with the engineers.

but such is the state of racing everywhere.
nascar has turned into nothing more than a lap time sprint, broken up by pit stops and a perverse desire to throw the yellow flag anytime someone farts.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dhbuilder said:
but such is the state of racing everywhere.
nascar has turned into nothing more than a lap time sprint, broken up by pit stops and a perverse desire to throw the yellow flag anytime someone farts.
Moto GP seems to have some good exiting racing these days. A few years back WSB was incredible, they averaged something like 6 changes in the top 5 positions every lap.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
right now moto gp is by far the best racing on the planet.
and has been for decades.

you can't hide out there.
you either race hard or get shelled off the back.

i love it when there's 3-6 or 8 guys just flying around and positioning for most of the race. just setting a pace and trying to burn the competitions tires off.
then with a few laps to go, IT'S ON !

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
dhbuilder said:

i love it when there's 3-6 or 8 guys just flying around and positioning for most of the race. just setting a pace and trying to burn the competitions tires off.

Colin Edwards on his head 1oo yards before winning his first MotoGP! I actually jumped out of the sofa screaming when he went down, so exciting to see he and nicky haden battling for the win, totally dicing at 200 mph.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dhbuilder said:

I'd say the talent required for most any motorcycle racing is off the charts. It is not just about steering a wheel and pushing some pedals. Every little body movement, curling of the toes, tilting of the head all determines how the thing handles.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Westy said:
I'd say the talent required for most any motorcycle racing is off the charts. It is not just about steering a wheel and pushing some pedals. Every little body movement, curling of the toes, tilting of the head all determines how the thing handles.
Word. I have been riding motorcycles for 24 years and I am in awe of the talent of anyone on the MotoGP grid. Just to watch them smoking the rear out of those fast corners is humbling.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
dhbuilder said:
from the post race and qualifying comments, it's anything but a popular track with the drivers.
alot of passes were made because of the cars getting two inches off line and into the marbles. it was also apparent that everyone was having excessive brale wear. which led to a little overdriving into the turns.
that's how kimi fell to victim to schumacher.
and alonso definately had brake issues at the end, driving no harder than he had to to win.
I think the heat yesterday also accelerated the tire wear..........all those marbles on the outside of the hairpin looked like gravel.

dhbuilder said:
:thumb:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
it kicks @$$ to know that there's a few knowledgable race fans out there.

and fluff.
smoking the rear exiting the turns is almost as cool as drifting the rear into the turns.
there skill is unworldly.

i'd love to see barry sheen, mick doohan or freddy spencer etc... duke it out with todays talent.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Westy said:
Isle of Man top speed hits 206

Most road races are relatively safe with decent run off areas. Those TT MF's are just plain sick in the head.
Yup, nutters - I remember watching an on-bike video lap by Steve Hislop; going up the mountain he was doing about 130mph when the bars started shaking (looked like a tankslapper in the making) and he just kept it pinned as it got worse until it calmed down at about 145...

Given the close proximity of the stone walls and trees I think I would have been tempted to back off. But I'd never win the TT.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Westy said:
Isle of Man top speed hits 206

Most road races are relatively safe with decent run off areas. Those TT MF's are just plain sick in the head.
watching those guys catch air at those speeds and on those bikes is amazing.
and then shutting it down instantly as they come into a town where there's no runoff at all.

gives a whole new definition to the word "cajones"

thanks for the link.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think it was Joey Dunlop that used to drift his rear wheel into curbs. Not those red and white ever so slightly banked ones either.