Quantcast

Well that didn't take long

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
And the enduro world cup has officially moved past a "fun riding with your friends who's the fastest" vibe to a "enforce rules and penalize cheaters because ****s getting competitive" vibe.

Bummer it was Fabian though, I always think of him as one of the classiest of riders, but that was a pretty unclassy move. Sounds like he was suggesting some others were doing it too, but didn't get caught.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/news/news/Enduro-World-Series-Update-Unauthorized-Shuttling,629

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
:popcorn:

This is kind of weird to read Minnaar chirping like that. Usually he has nothing but nice things to say. Also weird to read about someone as respected and all around loved as Fabien being accused cheating. I love it.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Man, I didn't catch that it was in practice, and he got it for being stupid and missing an important "lets discuss the rules meeting" but doesn't sound like such obvious cheating to gain competitive advantage anymore. I'm less bummed out, because I typically think pretty highly of Barel, that news was disappointing. A DQ would have been harsh, a 5 min penalty and a "get your **** together and pay attention" seems pretty appropriate.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This isn't hippie-frisbee-golf, no matter how much we want it to be.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
This isn't hippie-frisbee-golf, no matter how much we want it to be.
As much as I like Fab I agree and actually think he should have been DQ'd. It says in the rules that shuttling will result in a DQ and its not the organisers fault that he didn't go to the riders meeting.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
anyone know what trails they're running down for stage 5? all this talk about how gnarly it is, yet they don't list the trails. I'd be curious to know what they're going to be hitting with their trail bikes...

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
http://www.nsmb.com/enduro-world-series-whistler-schedule-and-course/
RACE STAGE 5
Top of the World -> No Joke -> In Deep -> Little Alder -> Expressway -> Too Tight -> Upper Angry Pirate -> Lower Angry Pirate -> climb up Lower EZ Does it -> Del Boca Vista -> EZ Does It -> cross Mountain Access Road -> Ho Chi Min -> cross Mountain Access Road -> Longhorn -> Monkey Hands -> Finish Skiers Plaza
distance: 10.63Km | elevation: start 2138m | finish 688m | change: -1450m

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
As much as I like Fab I agree and actually think he should have been DQ'd. It says in the rules that shuttling will result in a DQ and its not the organisers fault that he didn't go to the riders meeting.
i agree. he should have been DQed. i wonder what they would have done if it was some bottom rung rider

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
The rule was a little vague there, it said no outside assistance during the race, I could see there being room for confusion if you were to stupid to show up to the riders meeting.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
From Vital:

Race Director, Chris Ball sent this message below:
Following a number of requests for information surrounding the five minute penalty issued to Fabien Barel in Crankworx Whistler we would like to clarify the situation. To avoid riders gaining an unfair advantage and to maintain the spirit of the race on the long liaison stages in the Whistler valley, Crankworx created a rule that outlined no outside assistance (including using a vehicle to assist) would be allowed during the event. This rule was further explained and clarified in a mandatory athlete's breakfast scheduled on Friday morning and hosted by the Crankworx Whistler organisers. Rider's who chose not to attend this briefing missed crucial information regarding course changes, details of shuttling and race specific information. We are not responsible for educating riders who choose to miss planned briefings. Following the submission of evidence by a number of sources and a discussion with Fabien where he cooperated fully, admitted to a lack of knowledge of the rule due to team communications and an admission of his use of a vehicle, the organisation chose to apply a five minute penalty to his race time, removing any advantage that may have been gained from his use of the vehicle. We are all now looking forward to an incredible race here tomorrow.

Regards, Chris Ball, Director, Enduro World Series

yellowdogx

Chimp
Dec 21, 2003
Langley BC
http://www.nsmb.com/enduro-world-series-whistler-schedule-and-course/
RACE STAGE 5
Top of the World -> No Joke -> In Deep -> Little Alder -> Expressway -> Too Tight -> Upper Angry Pirate -> Lower Angry Pirate -> climb up Lower EZ Does it -> Del Boca Vista -> EZ Does It -> cross Mountain Access Road -> Ho Chi Min -> cross Mountain Access Road -> Longhorn -> Monkey Hands -> Finish Skiers Plaza
distance: 10.63Km | elevation: start 2138m | finish 688m | change: -1450m
Most of those trails are so punched out already, they are going to be a mess after this! Although it just started to rain. Should make top of the world a bit more interesting!

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Don't know either for the American Dream. He raced the 4 first stages where he got 6th, 8th, 7th and 9th. Maybe he had a mishap on the liaison? Kinda weird. He was setting up to do at least a top 10 or even top 5 depending on his last stage.

BTW, what ride by Graves on the last stage. That was absolutely mental. He pulled more than 30 secs on Clementz. These 2 are on another level that's for sure.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Don't know either for the American Dream. He raced the 4 first stages where he got 6th, 8th, 7th and 9th. Maybe he had a mishap on the liaison? Kinda weird. He was setting up to do at least a top 10 or even top 5 depending on his last stage.

BTW, what ride by Graves on the last stage. That was absolutely mental. He pulled more than 30 secs on Clementz. These 2 are on another level that's for sure.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
according to vital, a flat tire
dayum. seems like Enduro is a cruel and fickle mistress...

I agree, Jared really musta put in one hell of a run to take the win on that last stage... I kinda wonder though. How long has he been coming to Whistler? I seem to remember him doing well at Garbo DH events and Air DHs going back a long time. Was it Clementz's first visit? I'm wondering if there wasn't some sort of "hometown" advantage at play... or at least whether the familiarity with the area didn't play in his favour.

btw, I don't think that takes away anything from his run and his win. Both were amazing. But I wonder if JC will do better there if he rides there more...

I wonder if the Enduro guys will stick around and ride the Canadian Open DH, Garbanzo DH and Air DH...? I'd love to see what Clementz is capable of against DH guys....

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I wonder if the Enduro guys will stick around and ride the Canadian Open DH, Garbanzo DH and Air DH...? I'd love to see what Clementz is capable of against DH guys....
Jerome raced a couple of New Zealand national DH races last year and podium'd at one, 7th at another. I think he can probably hold his own.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Jerome raced a couple of New Zealand national DH races last year and podium'd at one, 7th at another. I think he can probably hold his own.
I have no doubt. I think that he's dominating a bunch of former DH World Champs is a testament to that. I'm just wondering how he would do against the current cream of the crop in the prime of their carreers. I'm guessing quite well. which is why I'd like to see it!

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
while I'd agree that the wording of the rule was ambiguous in the context that it appeared to only apply to the race, it was made very clear in the riders meeting that it meant no shuttling at all. skip that meeting, here are the consequences. Our group had planned to do a few shuttles on saturday but quickly dropped that when the rule was made clear. It was a super fun day, racing the masters class was a lot of fun, a good day of riding with some of my best friends, great vibe, awesome trails, and pumped to take 3rd overall with a victory on stage 5...tough racing, but so good too!

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
It was a super fun day, racing the masters class was a lot of fun, a good day of riding with some of my best friends, great vibe, awesome trails, and pumped to take 3rd overall with a victory on stage 5...tough racing, but so good too!
Congrats man, that's a really good result! Masters field is always pretty stacked with ex dh pros and sandbaggers.

Who was that guy from the UK that took the win? Looked like a pretty dominant performance.

Last edited:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
This is kind of weird to read Minnaar chirping like that. Usually he has nothing but nice things to say. Also weird to read about someone as respected and all around loved as Fabien being accused cheating. I love it.
Minnaar loathes Barel. Not sure why but supposedly he does.

I don't think Barel would cheat, misunderstanding....

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Congrats man, that's a really good result! Masters field is always pretty stacked with ex dh pros and sandbaggers.

Who was that guy from the UK that took the win? Looked like a pretty dominant performance.
thanks, definitely a challenging day, but some of my favourite trails in the valley too, and one I helped build, so that certainly didn't hurt! Dave Harder was the winner, Aussie guy used to live in Whistler and worked at FanatykCo...super nice guy, he started just ahead of me every stage, almost caught him on stage 3, but that was about as close as I got!