Quantcast

Well that didn't take long

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
thanks, definitely a challenging day, but some of my favourite trails in the valley too, and one I helped build, so that certainly didn't hurt! Dave Harder was the winner, Aussie guy used to live in Whistler and worked at FanatykCo...super nice guy, he started just ahead of me every stage, almost caught him on stage 3, but that was about as close as I got!
past prez of WORCA?!?!?! no wonder your trail advice on travelling to Whistler is always spot on!

Congrats on the result... it's always fun measuring up on home soil to la crème de la crème from around the world... that was a helluva time on stage 5 too...

the pinkbike/tippie interview of Barel was eyeopening. seems like he just drove to the bottom of the 2 stages 1.5km away from whistler village, on flat ground, on a paved major road. from his perspective, it certainly looks like he made an example of, especially when other riders were doing the same thing. they were warned, allowed to drive back to whistler village and pedal.

sucks for Barel. i feel for him. but damn tight racing tho, if 5 minutes drops you from 3rd to 80-something over 5 stages.

the pinkbike/tippie interview of Barel was eyeopening. seems like he just drove to the bottom of the 2 stages 1.5km away from whistler village, on flat ground, on a paved major road. from his perspective, it certainly looks like he made an example of, especially when other riders were doing the same thing. they were warned, allowed to drive back to whistler village and pedal.

sucks for Barel. i feel for him. but damn tight racing tho, if 5 minutes drops you from 3rd to 80-something over 5 stages.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
past prez of WORCA?!?!?! no wonder your trail advice on travelling to Whistler is always spot on!

Congrats on the result... it's always fun measuring up on home soil to la crème de la crème from around the world... that was a helluva time on stage 5 too...
that's me...surprised myself on the last stage, certainly did not expect to take it considering how many strong guys are in there! I just moved back to whistler from nelson last week too, so thought I'd be off the pace!

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
The interview I think just proves how pathetically retarded "enduro racing" is.
Enduro racing is major fun. The comments of people, who have no involvement with the event, about a pro that did not follow the rules is retarded.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
I agree, Jared really musta put in one hell of a run to take the win on that last stage... I kinda wonder though. How long has he been coming to Whistler? I seem to remember him doing well at Garbo DH events and Air DHs going back a long time. Was it Clementz's first visit? I'm wondering if there wasn't some sort of "hometown" advantage at play... or at least whether the familiarity with the area didn't play in his favour.
JC won an Enduro there a few years ago. It was a pretty similar to the stage 5 course but it was before top of the world existed.

I was in line when he finished. He threw a one hander off a booter right before the finish line and it looked like he just sorta forgot to put it back down. He almost crashed and lost the thing but it was pretty baller.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You're always classier when you're the winner. Unless you're Palmer as the winner, then you go classless, but that is immediately negated by having won, which is of course classic! :thumb:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'm confused by this picture:

Does this mean that somewhere on redbull's site I can find the replay of the enduro? Looked around but can't find.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
I watched the pb Tippie interview and Fabio looked pissed. If all were true, he got singled out, for driving on a flat highway to the start of the stage. He said others did the same and lied when asked. Also looked at Lopes' words, haha. Funny.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
So, in the PinkBike article:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Seen-and-Heard-at-Crankworx.html

Clementz mentions that he swapped chainrings for the final stage. This seems like it kind of goes against the spirit of Enduro, no? It seems you should have to run the same setup all day, else, what's to stop people running heavier DH tires for the gnarlier stages etc?
i agree on the 'run what you brung' mentality but the rules state only frame, fork, shock and wheels must be OE throughout the race.

"Only one frame, one front and rear suspension unit (fork/rear shock) and one pair of wheels can be used by a competitor during a race.

Frame, suspension and wheels will be individually marked by the race organiser prior to race the start.

Any rider needing to replace a wheel, frame or forks during the competition must present the broken item at the Race Office, where the Race Director will assess the damage.

Only upon approval of the Race Director, may a rider replace a frame, suspension part or wheel. Following the repair the rider must return to the Race Director to have the replacement part(s) re-marked before rejoining the race.

A 5 minute penalty will be awarded to every rider who, after the agreement of the Race Director, replaces the equipment listed above.

Any rider found to have replaced a named/marked part without consent from the Race Director will be disqualified (DSQ)."

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^

So in theory, you could change tires if you were willing to bring the extra rubber along? Totally unrealistic, but interesting...Maybe stash some DH tires near the start gate :thumb:

Tequila tweeting by Greg?

Last edited:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
you know, lots of competitors were able to follow the rules without drama...can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Our group planned on shuttling saturday and once they clarified the rule at the meeting, we rode out to our pre-rides and left vehicles in the village....skip the riders meeting, suffer the consequences, sorry but zero sympathy here.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
you know, lots of competitors were able to follow the rules without drama...can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Our group planned on shuttling saturday and once they clarified the rule at the meeting, we rode out to our pre-rides and left vehicles in the village....skip the riders meeting, suffer the consequences, sorry but zero sympathy here.
Seriously. I would have more respect for the guy if he just said "my bad, won't do it again" and moved on.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
^^

So in theory, you could change tires if you were willing to bring the extra rubber along? Totally unrealistic, but interesting...Maybe stash some DH tires near the start gate :thumb:
AFAIK there are different pit/staging situations at these races. for some you can head back to your pit area between stages to take care of bike and rider needs. in others you can't. i believe for the crankworx event you could not except prior to the final stage.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Let's look at facts objectively here -

* West Canadia denizen Steve Smith wins in epic fashion in Quebec
* Quebec is French for Walrus Uterus...But regardless of what it means, it's obviously French
* Therefore, we can surmise this is another example of Canadian speaking Canadia further denigrating the non-Canadia speaking part of Canadia (<--which again, is French)
* Canadian speaking Canadia likes screwing with the French.
* Fabien Barel is French.
* He is in West Canadia.

Seems pretty obvious to me what it happening. Hopefully Loic gets down without incident/DQ later this evening.

Last edited:

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Let's look at facts objectively here -

* West Canadia denizen Steve Smith wins in epic fashion in Quebec
* Quebec is French for Walrus Uterus...But regardless of what it means, it's obviously French
* Therefore, we can surmise this is another example of Canadian speaking Canadia further denigrating the non-Canadia speaking part of Canadia (<--which again, is French)
* Canadian speaking Canadia likes screwing with the French.
* Fabien Barel is French.
* He is in West Canadia.

Seems pretty obvious to me what it happening. Hopefully Loic gets down without incident/DQ later this evening.
You just went full retard.