Quantcast

Well that didn't take long

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
i agree on the 'run what you brung' mentality but the rules state only frame, fork, shock and wheels must be OE throughout the race.

rules
Yeah, I certainly wasn't suggesting that Clementz cheated. Just that I'd like to see the rules amended to prevent this. Certainly, I'd say that being able to swap chainrings between stages is a luxury I think I'd like to see taken away from 'pros' ahead of the ability to drive along a flat road to get to the start of a transfer during practice.

Unless of course you carry the chainring in your pack and arrive at the start of a timed stage with enough time to make the swap...

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Yeah, I certainly wasn't suggesting that Clementz cheated. Just that I'd like to see the rules amended to prevent this. Certainly, I'd say that being able to swap chainrings between stages is a luxury I think I'd like to see taken away from 'pros' ahead of the ability to drive along a flat road to get to the start of a transfer during practice.

Unless of course you carry the chainring in your pack and arrive at the start of a timed stage with enough time to make the swap...
agreed for the most part. with all the love for xx1 in enduro and the wide gearing it provides it seems drivetrain changes should not be allowed. personally the only part of the bike i think should be allowed to be altered would be tubes in case of flats or chains if one breaks - basically the things that will keep you racing but not necessarily give an advantage. pick your components wisely and go - if you made a bad call on something then you deal with it for the entire race.

Last edited:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
agreed for the most part. with all the love for xx1 in enduro and the wide gearing it provides it seems drivetrain changes should not be allowed. personally the only part of the bike i think should be allowed to be altered would be tubes in case of flats or chains if one breaks - basically the things that will keep you racing but not necessarily give an advantage. pick your components wisely and go - if you made a bad call on something then you deal with it for the entire race.
totally agree....the other lame thing that seems fashionable in enduro is big single rings and walking up climbs...I actually had more than a few people tell me I was wasting my energy climbing the liaison stages and generally smack talking it, it's a bike race, I want to ride my bike, not walk it....so lame

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
totally agree....the other lame thing that seems fashionable in enduro is big single rings and walking up climbs...I actually had more than a few people tell me I was wasting my energy climbing the liaison stages and generally smack talking it, it's a bike race, I want to ride my bike, not walk it....so lame
did you point out that you won a stage and they didn't?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I'm pretty sure I lost more respect for Minnaar than Barel with all this, just because of the fruitbasket cryptic Facebook post just BEGGING for someone to ask what he's referring to, in very similar fashion to certain female 20-something's I know who have emotional issues, not enough attention and nothing to do.

Minnaar, drop the weenie hipster crap, step away from the Facepalm and the Twatter, and go ride some motocross.

Aug 4, 2008

Looks like Brian Lopes went full Ridemonkey this time and last time...

Also a time for a little rant. Two months ago I thought: Enduro **** yeah! Back to the 90s when I was young and Downhill wasnt all about wank.

Well, nowadays people have taken it waaaay too far. What the **** is this? More regulations than F1? More rules than Baseball? Is it supposed to be fun if I am not even allowed to take a dump during the race?

People should just rename it to Fasciduro or Crybabyduro and be over with.

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Well, nowadays people have taken it waaaay too far. What the **** is this? More regulations than F1? More rules than Baseball? Is it supposed to be fun if I am not even allowed to take a dump during the race?

People should just rename it to Fasciduro or Crybabyduro and be over with.
I think you should take a look at the EWS rules before spewing such hyperbole. There are literally a handful of rules.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I'm still confused what Fabian did, drove from his apartment to the lift......?...big deal....

But i will say getting extra rest and not pedaling is not always an advantage...
The few enduros i've done it's best to spin up, catch your breathe and go.
Worst thing is constant starting and stopping for a long rest, spinning more seems to help keep rhythm and helps with the aerobic aspect.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm still confused what Fabian did, drove from his apartment to the lift......?...big deal....
Here's my understanding of it. He skipped morning briefing and drove to the trailhead of stages 3 and 4, which was 1.5km away from where he was staying. 1.5km on a flat road. why he drove is a bit of a mystery to me, caus' 1.5k is a good warmup. Race organizers would have had him drive to the village (for athlete briefing), and then ride to the trailhead.

From what I gather from Grave's journal is that given there was three days of practice (thursday, friday and saturday), and given that there's no possibility of shuttling stages 1-4, and there is a lot of pedalling involved to get to those stages, that many or most opted to scout out the stages only once, and not on concurrent days, in order to conserve energy. So Fabien opted not to ride the Gondola up to Top of the World to scout out stages one and two, instead choosing to focus on three and four that day. Since the trailhead to those trails was close to him, it would have been a hassle to drive into town for the riders meeting, and then back to the trailhead. I bet there's an advantage to getting an early start too, to avoid the heat and crowds and to give you ample time to rest up before sessioning stage five later in the day....

Anyways, that's what I've understood. I don't particularly see it as cheating, and it seems like the course marshalls used a blunt instrument to fix an apparent flaw in their preparation. But I understand both sides, and hope they can both put the incident behind them and move on with developing the discipline.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Agreed. but it sounds like the team had sent someone, and that that person had not understood the rule. possibly due to language barrier? or possibly Fab was already gone and it was too late to call him back?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Here's my understanding of it. He skipped morning briefing and drove to the trailhead of stages 3 and 4, which was 1.5km away from where he was staying. 1.5km on a flat road. why he drove is a bit of a mystery to me, caus' 1.5k is a good warmup. Race organizers would have had him drive to the village (for athlete briefing), and then ride to the trailhead.

From what I gather from Grave's journal is that given there was three days of practice (thursday, friday and saturday), and given that there's no possibility of shuttling stages 1-4, and there is a lot of pedalling involved to get to those stages, that many or most opted to scout out the stages only once, and not on concurrent days, in order to conserve energy. So Fabien opted not to ride the Gondola up to Top of the World to scout out stages one and two, instead choosing to focus on three and four that day. Since the trailhead to those trails was close to him, it would have been a hassle to drive into town for the riders meeting, and then back to the trailhead. I bet there's an advantage to getting an early start too, to avoid the heat and crowds and to give you ample time to rest up before sessioning stage five later in the day....

Anyways, that's what I've understood. I don't particularly see it as cheating, and it seems like the course marshalls used a blunt instrument to fix an apparent flaw in their preparation. But I understand both sides, and hope they can both put the incident behind them and move on with developing the discipline.
Thanks but i'm still confused.
Sounds like the proverbial "Storm in a Tea Cup."

So there was morning practice.....?......and 3 days of other practice before that.......?....

At the second round there were each allowed one practice run per stage.
The first round guys did alot of pre-ride. Which is going to happen when these things are held at existing trail networks. Often it won't be the same for everybody, that's just a fact...

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
interesting to see how far things get broken down sometimes.. i just want to ride :)
[LIIKE]

I destroyed myself getting too competitive over the past couple of years. 2 Surgeries later, I'm chillin - using the go arounds, about 60% as fast as before.

But all I wanna do is ride; just wanna ride! It's still the best feeling, most fun, whether I'm spinning or pinning, I'm always grinning!!!

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
[LIIKE]

I destroyed myself getting too competitive over the past couple of years. 2 Surgeries later, I'm chillin - using the go arounds, about 60% as fast as before.

But all I wanna do is ride; just wanna ride! It's still the best feeling, most fun, whether I'm spinning or pinning, I'm always grinning!!!
+1

If I aint comfortable on a section/feature I aint doing it. Better to be able to ride the rest of the day/week/year/life. I leave the seriousness to others, I just want to ride and have fun and that means getting to ride not sit at home due to injury etc

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
hmmm, well, not much activity in the XC/AM forum, so I'll x-post this here: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f78/esc-enduro-killington-august-25th-261026/

I'm going to be doing the Enduro in Killington next week, and I'm looking for info about Killington. Specifically, what's it like, will light-weight tires work or should I mount my 2.35 dual-ply high roller, and one question I forgot to ask is whether it's worth bringing a full face helmet?

thanks...

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Minnaar is awesome, Barel is too. I don't care if they like each other or not. They're both still cool in my book. It seems that EWS could sort some things out. By all reports, there was a lot of shuttling at earlier rounds, but in my view, what Barel did at Whistler does not count as shuttling at all.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
In my limited and narrow-minded opinion, if its not in the rule book, it's not a rule. A real organization doesn't throw out verbal "rules" ad lib at meetings the morning a race/practice takes place. It should have been distributed to teams via release LONG before the event took place. This way is pure amateur hour.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
[LIIKE]

i like coming hear cause the monkeys always break down technical stuff really well (like suspension, for example). but stuff like this i really could care less about... oh well, still the best forum out theree

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
In my limited and narrow-minded opinion, if its not in the rule book, it's not a rule. A real organization doesn't throw out verbal "rules" ad lib at meetings the morning a race/practice takes place. It should have been distributed to teams via release LONG before the event took place. This way is pure amateur hour.
remember as well that the rule regarding shuttling has not been the same at every round. this seems to be a rule that changes based on the location, course(s) and number of days the events span.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
it doesn't matter what you think shuttling is or isn't, at the riders meeting they said no driving to the trails, case closed. Lots of us planned to drive then left our cars in the village and rode out, hell, I could've even justified driving to my house in Alpine on the way to stage 4 but didn't and rode out and back. Armchairing from wherever you are in the world is dumb, follow the rules or don't, but don't expect much sympathy from those of us who actually took the time to go to the riders meeting.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
it doesn't matter what you think shuttling is or isn't, at the riders meeting they said no driving to the trails, case closed. Lots of us planned to drive then left our cars in the village and rode out, hell, I could've even justified driving to my house in Alpine on the way to stage 4 but didn't and rode out and back. Armchairing from wherever you are in the world is dumb, follow the rules or don't, but don't expect much sympathy from those of us who actually took the time to go to the riders meeting.
qft

It was an amazing fun event to race. I am already looking forward to next years event.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Minnaar is awesome, Barel is too. I don't care if they like each other or not. They're both still cool in my book. It seems that EWS could sort some things out. By all reports, there was a lot of shuttling at earlier rounds, but in my view, what Barel did at Whistler does not count as shuttling at all.
Also, what flip said.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Lopes was already on the top of my asshole list, but with such comments, Minnaar just beat him to it... He acts like a jealous 7 year old...
For someone who a "professional" in the sport, its unbelievable childish for him to act like that. Basically saying he's the LA of the MTB community.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
For someone who a "professional" in the sport, its unbelievable childish for him to act like that. Basically saying he's the LA of the MTB community.
"professional" .... I'm not sure if you know how quotations work, but Minnaar is, in fact, a professional bike racer. no need for quotations.

Also, calling him the LA of the mtb community is a stretch, I don't know that he ran the most sophisticated doping group in the sport forcing other racers to do the same, while at the same time raking in millions of dollars in endorsements while simultaneously sueing the **** out of everybody for pretty much any reason. But definitely sounding like baby over this, which is a pity because if barel actually cheated he's making it seem less of a big deal.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
"professional" .... I'm not sure if you know how quotations work, but Minnaar is, in fact, a professional bike racer. no need for quotations.

Also, calling him the LA of the mtb community is a stretch, I don't know that he ran the most sophisticated doping group in the sport forcing other racers to do the same, while at the same time raking in millions of dollars in endorsements while simultaneously sueing the **** out of everybody for pretty much any reason. But definitely sounding like baby over this, which is a pity because if barel actually cheated he's making it seem less of a big deal.
This made me feel ignorant. When I read LA I was thinking Los Angeles and figured it was because L.A. thinks its hot stuff or something. I am kinda slow sometimes...

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
i like coming hear cause the monkeys always break down technical stuff really well (like suspension, for example). but stuff like this i really could care less about... oh well, still the best forum out theree
Thanks for your support......

<devalued the 2c significantly with that tripe>