Quantcast

well, that didn't work well (bottles and cages)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver

Friggin' handlebar mount kept rotating down and the bottle would nearly pop out.

The attachment isn't any kind of clamp. I tried taking a piece of an old tire and electrical tape to take up the space and hold it in place, but nope.

Does someone make something like that where it CLAMPS down into place? Like the clamp attachment for a Topeak roadmorph pump?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I believe Topeak makes a clamping mount for a bottle cage.

edit: link to wrong thing

We have them at my work. I'll try and take look to see who makes it.

...or you could just find out where Aquarel gets those racks for the neutral water support motos...

;)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I believe Topeak makes a clamping mount for a bottle cage.

edit: link to wrong thing

We have them at my work. I'll try and take look to see who makes it.
cool, thanks.
is there no where to stop and get water where you ride?
There are plenty of places, I just don't like stopping when I'm alone since I won't carry a bike lock. Plus, dumb or not, I prefer to ride non-stop as much as possible. Silly little goal of mine.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
How many miles do you ride that you need that much liquid? At what temp do you ride? I never need more that 2 or 3 up to about 50 miles.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
How many miles do you ride that you need that much liquid? At what temp do you ride? I never need more that 2 or 3 up to about 50 miles.
lately, it's been in the 90s, pushing 100. I've been drinking more than a bottle an hour and can only manage 60 miles with four bottles.

WUMPUS, neat idea with the front fork! Of course, I'll have to stop to swap bottles, otherwise my clumsy ass will lose a finger :D

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
lately, it's been in the 90s, pushing 100. I've been drinking more than a bottle an hour and can only manage 60 miles with four bottles.

WUMPUS, neat idea with the front fork! Of course, I'll have to stop to swap bottles, otherwise my clumsy ass will lose a finger :D
Read this.

Hammer Nutrition: said:
Noakes believes intake of hypotonic fluids of one liter (33 oz)/hr will likely cause water intoxication and dilutional hyponatremia. He suggests that athletes may do better on 500 ml (16 oz)/hr fluid intake for ultra events performed in hot weather conditions. As mentioned earlier, in the “10 Biggest Mistakes” article, Dr. Ian Rogers suggests that between 500-750 milliliters/hr (about 17-25 fluid ounces/hr) will fulfill most athletes' hydration requirements under most conditions. Other research suggests a similar consumption of 4.5-7.0 fluid ounces of water every 15 to 20 minutes of exercise.
Your larger water bottles are about 24oz. Everybody's different, but everything I've read would indicate you drink entirely too much. Both from a caloric standpoint, and a fluid intake level.

Two 24oz bottles will last me about 3 hours running slightly dehydrated (i.e. really thirsty when I stop).

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
umm, the article you linked and quoted said to drink 17-25 ounces/hr. Well, I do about a 24 oz bottle per hour.

So, why do you say that I'm doing something wrong?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Accelerade. The orange flavor ain't too bad, especially when I add almost 1/4 tsp of Morton Lite Salt to it.
i've been told that drinking accelerade while exercising isn't the greatest idea. i'm not entirely sure why, but it has something to do with the protein. but it is a very good idea to drink it before/after exercising.

i'll try to find better info on all this. it's just something my sister mentioned today, i'm just trusting her since she apparently is a whiz when it comes to organic chemistry and all that.

edit: nevermind, i just found something that says otherwise. now i'm trying to think what she said again about the whole thing.