Quantcast

well, that didn't work well (bottles and cages)

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
oh WTF?! Did you change your screen name recently? What was it?

Damnit, you people need to stop fvcking with me.
it was gnurider1080. but i felt like changing it to something that made more sense seeing as how i no longer ride nor own a gnu.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
edit: nevermind, i just found something that says otherwise. now i'm trying to think what she said again about the whole thing.
There's TONS of info out there on this. Generally your body can store enough glycogen for about 1-1/2 hours of strenuous exercise. If it's more than that your body metabolizes fat and protein (i.e. you eat yourself).

Protein and fat in some drinks is specifically to help your body release steady energy for long endurance events.

The intake of fat actually stimulates your body to release fat stores quicker for use as energy. This is the same reason hollywood starvation diets don't work - your body rations what it's afraid of running out of.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
i heard that if you had less bottles on your bike you would have less weight and could go faster, thus not needing as much water.
I appreciate the feedback, but bike/gear weight is a way overblown "issue".

otherwise, i could carry no water and go the speed of light! ;)

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
There's TONS of info out there on this. Generally your body can store enough glycogen for about 1-1/2 hours of strenuous exercise. If it's more than that your body metabolizes fat and protein (i.e. you eat yourself).

Protein and fat in some drinks is specifically to help your body release steady energy for long endurance events.

The intake of fat actually stimulates your body to release fat stores quicker for use as energy. This is the same reason hollywood starvation diets don't work - your body rations what it's afraid of running out of.

Good points- when your body breaks down it's own protein you're in trouble, which is basically anorexia.

From a performance standpoint, cells metabolize glycogen/sugar 3 times as fast as fat, so naturally you consume different stuff depending on your program/desire.

Opie- might just be easier to hire or train a domestique- is Zabriskie on his way home yet?!

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
yeah, you're right, that is a pretty silly little goal.
water is worth a 2 minute stop. if it is even really that much of a stop.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
What dont you like about a Camelbak? Get the right size and after a few rides you wont even notice it. I carry a 100oz and it lasts me all day.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
What dont you like about a Camelbak? Get the right size and after a few rides you wont even notice it. I carry a 100oz and it lasts me all day.
I appreciate that, but coming from mtb'ing, I did wear a camelbak for the first 2000 miles. I now hate it and cannot wear one. I just can't.

So I decided that any ride over 60 miles will now be done with a friend who can watch my bike while I re-fuel.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
On a MTB bike not so bad, i ride all the time with a Camel back on, usually a 100oz size. On a ride bike, it's not comfortable at all. I can't do it even with a 50oz one. Between the more bent over position and having your shoulder rolled forward more, it starts to bug me after 20 mins.