Quantcast

Well that escalated quickly...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Wait wait wait, hold the press! Applebee's has just come out with a statement on their Facebook page. I'm guessing that they'll address the thousands (and thousands) of hateful comments calling for a boycott of their establishment, backpedal quickly and state that they've pushed the franchise to offer the server her job back?

Let's see:

We wish this situation hadn't happened. Our Guests’ personal information – including their meal check – is private, and neither Applebee’s nor its franchisees have a right to share this information publicly. We value our Guests’ trust above all else. Our franchisee has apologized to the Guest and has taken disciplinary action with the Team Member for violating their Guest’s right to privacy.
Oh, this should calm everybody down...... :rofl:

4gnegative

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
Orange Curtain
Dumb move on the part of applebee's. Had they been a small mom and pop restaurant they would be able to get a way with crap like this. But a national chain get's a huge blow back once facebook and the media catch wind of it. I've been to applebees twice I can remember, the food isn't bad but it's not special either. I will make it a point to avoid them in the future. So many better places to eat anyways.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Dumb move on the part of applebee's. Had they been a small mom and pop restaurant they would be able to get a way with crap like this. But a national chain get's a huge blow back once facebook and the media catch wind of it. I've been to applebees twice I can remember, the food isn't bad but it's not special either. I will make it a point to avoid them in the future. So many better places to eat anyways.
Every franchise is independently owned, so the individual franchise was the one who fired her, not the corporate offiece... HOWEVER, this is pretty despicable that the home-office is standing by their franchise instead of the workers involved.

And so soon after the Obamacare debacle, too.

4gnegative

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
Orange Curtain
Every franchise is independently owned, so the individual franchise was the one who fired her, not the corporate offiece... HOWEVER, this is pretty despicable that the home-office is standing by their franchise instead of the workers involved.

Yes it's true they are privately owned franchises, that have to follow corporate guidelines. The way their corporate offices handled it was pretty lackluster. Everyone know's it's the standard to tip 15% to 18% at restaurants even though sometimes servers don't deserve it.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Yes it's true they are privately owned franchises, that have to follow corporate guidelines. The way their corporate offices handled it was pretty lackluster. Everyone know's it's the standard to tip 15% to 18% at restaurants even though sometimes servers don't deserve it.
The backstory was that it was a large group (20 people?), so the automatic 18% gratuity was tacked on. The group split the checks in an effort to avoid the automatic gratuity, which is why her meal was only $34.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Another strike against them is that you are actually "eating sh*t in the neighborhood". The cheap seafood at Applebees, Red Lobster, Outhouse, and other chains plus the cheap stuff at the supermarket is very nasty stuff:

Today's Seafood Special: Pig Manure, Antibiotics, and Diarrhea Bugs
Imported seafood is full of dirt and chemicals. So why is the FDA inspecting practically none of it?

Next time you tuck into a Red Lobster "Endless Shrimp" special or score some $7-per-pound salmon at a supermarket, consider this: You're very likely eating imported seafood raised on a factory-style farm in Asia—and it almost certainly was never inspected by the Food and Drug Administration on its way into the country and onto your plate...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I'm trying to think this through as an individual franchise owner might. It sucks hard to be penalized for the actions of some dipshlt in st louis, but how do you stand out? "We're totally cool with out wait staff making our customers known to be the douchebags they sometimes present themselves as"?

Not quite sure how I'd go about it. :D

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I sent a request for donation back to some christian organization over Christmas with my message: "Prayer, it's BETTER than money!".

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I boycott them because the last time I ate there the steak tasted like a salt-lick. It had been years before, it's been years since. I think they literally just heat up the applebees products from the frozen food section of your local supermarket.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
I'm trying to think this through as an individual franchise owner might. It sucks hard to be penalized for the actions of some dipshlt in st louis, but how do you stand out? "We're totally cool with out wait staff making our customers known to be the douchebags they sometimes present themselves as"?

"While we don't agree with our servers giving out the private information of our customers, sometimes people make poor decisions in the heat of the moment, especially when encountering a situation like this. Ultimately we want to foster dedicated, hard working employees and will be working with personnel involved to see how this can be avoided in the future."

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If the automatic 18% gratuity is clearly noted on the menu the pastor shifts from a customer to thief. I don't see the problem - those are terms of services agreed when they dined at the facility. You can't skip taxes or items charges either just because you're delusional...

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Once again I am miles ahead of the power curve. I have been boycotting them for years, mainly because of the crappy food and plastic, forced atmosphere...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
"While we don't agree with our servers giving out the private information of our customers, sometimes people make poor decisions in the heat of the moment, especially when encountering a situation like this. Ultimately we want to foster dedicated, hard working employees and will be working with personnel involved to see how this can be avoided in the future."
tl:dr

Come on! That'll never fit on a napkin!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Once again confirming that some of those who believe in god are delusional self centered fvcktards. And those are the good ones.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
All I can muster is this:

When you act like an asshole, you get a reputation for it. And you have no one to blame but yourself.
Unless you try to hide your pride behind the concept of religion. I grew up PK, and while my dads was cool (split a church in 1/2 because he decided to march with MLK), people who surrounded him often took this stance.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
well, this might be as good a time as any to go nakedly full-on bigot over this, but fcuk it.
- having worked for years in the restaurant "industry", black women are by far the worst tippers
- having friends who worked (emphasis on past tense) with black churches, they are the most demanding what-have-you-done-for-me-lately people, especially the women (like this pastor)
- waitress named chelsea? likely white. surprise, surprise pastor lois got uppity
- if it didn't shorten my life by 5 yrs & bankrupt me, i'd have breakfast/lunch/dinner at applebees....and get teh baby back ribs & wash it down w/ purple drank

"A white man who is in power cannot be a Christian, unless he gives up that power and give it to the black man" - James Cone

this isn't about christianity; this is about the undercurrent of social justice & black liberation theology

hugs,
the excalator

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
well, this might be as good a time as any to go nakedly full-on bigot over this, but fcuk it.
- having worked for years in the restaurant "industry", black women are by far the worst tippers
just to agree with that.

worst tippers = tie between females (specially black ones) and single mexicans.
good tippers = middle age single white guys.
best tippers = gay male couple.

so, from my summer as a waiter while i was in college in the US, i can distinctly remember.... the worst possible table is a table with 4 single black females. you´ll be lucky to get $1 from each.
while the hispanics would leave a similar tip, they would much, much less demanding.

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Paging Silver to the white courtesy phone....
he's probably off in a half-packed stadium subverting a promise keepers convention...look for the guy with understated glitter on the corners of his mouth