Quantcast

well, the damage is done

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
No turning back now... all the parts for my 575 are ordered. Should get here over the course of next week... planning on picking everything up next weekend. The buildup will then begin.

Here's the highlights of the build...

Fox TALAS R
SRAM X.9 triggers
SRAM X.0 rear der.
FSA cranks
Onyx/DT Swiss wheelset

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
How is your build up going to differ from a complete Yeti 575?

Where did you make changes and where/how did you save money/weight and or increase performance durability?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Originally posted by MMcG
How is your build up going to differ from a complete Yeti 575?

Where did you make changes and where/how did you save money/weight and or increase performance durability?
Well, the big reason I didn't go with the 575 Race Disc build was because I didn't want all the XT, and I didn't need the TALAS RLC (R is fine for me).

I saved weight on the shifters, rear der, fork, brakes, rims, tires. I ended up with the same headset, stem, and seatpost. I saved money on the cranks, fork, rims, tires, bars, and front der.

I ended up spending a bit more than the Race Disc build, but I should come out a bit lighter. But the most satisfying part of all this is that every part is on the bike because I chose that specific part. I also get to build the bike myself, which is something I've wanted to do for a long time. It probably doesn't save me anything, but it means something to me.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by jacksonpt
Well, the big reason I didn't go with the 575 Race Disc build was because I didn't want all the XT, and I didn't need the TALAS RLC (R is fine for me).

I saved weight on the shifters, rear der, fork, brakes, rims, tires. I ended up with the same headset, stem, and seatpost. I saved money on the cranks, fork, rims, tires, and front der.

I ended up spending a bit more than the Race Disc build, but I should come out a bit lighter. But the most satisfying part of all this is that every part is on the bike because I chose that specific part. I also get to build the bike myself, which is something I've wanted to do for a long time. It probably doesn't save me anything, but it means something to me.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Awesome - I thought Yeti had a Sram based build kit, but maybe that was another manufacturer.

Very cool that this will truly be "your bike!"

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
But the most satisfying part of all this is that every part is on the bike because I chose that specific part. I also get to build the bike myself, which is something I've wanted to do for a long time. It probably doesn't save me anything, but it means something to me.
Word to that man. Seriously. My Blur is my dream bike, built with every part I've been dreaming about for years. That kicks ass.

Hurry up and get it built, then come back to ride :)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Very cool that this will truly be "your bike!"
Yea... the fact that I picked out every part and I'm doing the build is something that doesn't show up on any spec sheet or price list... but it is just as important to me as any single part of the build.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Awesome - I thought Yeti had a Sram based build kit, but maybe that was another manufacturer.
The kit with SRAM triggers and Juicy brakes is SUPER expensive... although it is very :drool:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Originally posted by Echo
lol... part of me wants to build it up right there at trailblazers... sleep on the street corner, then ride with you jackalopes the next day! Seeing how this is my first build, it's probably going to take me a couple of days to get everything just right.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
The kit with SRAM triggers and Juicy brakes is SUPER expensive... although it is very :drool:
Yea, just over $4k for the complete bike. I'm coming in about $500 less than that, and the performance difference will be negligable at most.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Word to that man. Seriously. My Blur is my dream bike, built with every part I've been dreaming about for years. That kicks ass.

Yeah yeah yeah, all you people make me sick with all your fancy new bike... :rolleyes:

I wanted to build mine up too, but the LBS doesn't get to see too many fancy machine so I'll let them take a wack at it.... eventually... :(

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
lol... part of me wants to build it up right there at trailblazers... sleep on the street corner, then ride with you jackalopes the next day! Seeing how this is my first build, it's probably going to take me a couple of days to get everything just right.
Let me know when you're gonna be there, we'll make sure the "special tool" stuff is all done like headset cups, BB shell chase/face, etc before you head out to finish the job yer self :thumb:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Jozz
I wanted to build mine up too, but the LBS doesn't get to see too many fancy machine so I'll let them take a wack at it.... eventually... :(
Just tell them you want to be there when they build it, and tell them you're bringing beer. That always works :D

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Just tell them you want to be there when they build it, and tell them you're bringing beer. That always works :D
Ahaha! I sure wil be there to snap build pics!!

Two Chinese mechanics, they're running on pizza I hear.. :D

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Let me know when you're gonna be there, we'll make sure the "special tool" stuff is all done like headset cups, BB shell chase/face, etc before you head out to finish the job yer self :thumb:
I asked Victor to do the headset cups and cut the steerer for me... but I asked that he do it when I was there so I could watch. Everything else should be fairly straight forward no? Perhaps the bottom bracket...

Oh, he is also building the wheels... I wasn't going to touch that one... not yet anyways.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I asked Victor to do the headset cups and cut the steerer for me... but I asked that he do it when I was there so I could watch. Everything else should be fairly straight forward no? Perhaps the bottom bracket...

Oh, he is also building the wheels... I wasn't going to touch that one... not yet anyways.
Yeah we won't put anything on the frame until you're there.

Victor can build wheels in his sleep. Good choice.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction

Remember to leave extra room on the steerer so you can make stem height adjustments. You can put spacers above the stem, and you can always cut it again when you get the height dialed in. Just can't ever put any back.

BB are easy. Anti sieze on the threads and remember one side tightens the opposite direction.

If you get in a bind, don't forget about Park Tools Help Section.