Quantcast

Well, they accepted our offer on a house.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jacksonpt said:
But back on topic - congrats on the purchase, and good luck selling yours and doing all the work on the new one. My wife and I just started looking
didn't you just move into a new house? :confused:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
loco said:
Whoa - don't let those sumbitches win, man. :mumble:
yea, well... for a variety of reasons, it looks like we are no where even close to being able to afford the monthly bills (propane heat, taxes, etc).

J

JRB

jacksonpt said:
yea, well... for a variety of reasons, it looks like we are no where even close to being able to afford the monthly bills (propane heat, taxes, etc).
Sucks man. Bummer.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
narlus said:
didn't you just move into a new house? :confused:
Well, sorta. We were/are building, but our contractor has turned out to be a total tool. Taxes have gone up over 20% in the last year, and have about doubled since we bought the land. Propane/heating prices have also almost doubled. Those two factors, along with a second child, our daughter starting school/dance class/etc, and my wife being out of work means we will probably be selling the house as soon as we get a CO.

This is all dependant on what the tax man says though... if by some miracle he comes back with a low tax rating (we are anticipating $15k/year, hoping for $11k or so that we could grieve down to 8 or so) then there might be hope.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Congratulations Brian...
Everyone else seems to be baggin on it, but I know.
Sheet is about the same down here.

I'm actually in the middle of a move right now too. I just took down the whole sterio/tv/entertainment center, so obviously we are moving houses today. Can't go a day without TV!!

We finally got a SFD instead of an attached.
The market here is almost (if not just as) bad as it is up there.

The one sweet part is that there is a skate park 400 yards from my house, and a decent ride spot (that leads into a national forrest) about 100 yards away with hundreds of miles of trails and a decent jump spot (from what I hear)

J

JRB

jacksonpt said:
Well, sorta. We were/are building, but our contractor has turned out to be a total tool. Taxes have gone up over 20% in the last year, and have about doubled since we bought the land. Propane/heating prices have also almost doubled. Those two factors, along with a second child, our daughter starting school/dance class/etc, and my wife being out of work means we will probably be selling the house as soon as we get a CO.

This is all dependant on what the tax man says though... if by some miracle he comes back with a low tax rating (we are anticipating $15k/year, hoping for $11k or so that we could grieve down to 8 or so) then there might be hope.
I hope that all works out. We should have monkeyfest at your place and beat that bastard down.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jacksonpt said:

Oh man.

This is why I am so glad I built a small 1800_sf home for MizN8 and myself first! I was all hot-to-trot to build a big 3000 french country lookin' builder's mansion, but after moving into a smaller house first, we learned that bigger isn't better.

The only thing I wish I had was a 3rd car garage for bikes etc.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
-BB- said:
Congratulations Brian...
Everyone else seems to be baggin on it, but I know.
Sheet is about the same down here.

I'm actually in the middle of a move right now too. I just took down the whole sterio/tv/entertainment center, so obviously we are moving houses today. Can't go a day without TV!!

We finally got a SFD instead of an attached.
The market here is almost (if not just as) bad as it is up there.

The one sweet part is that there is a skate park 400 yards from my house, and a decent ride spot (that leads into a national forrest) about 100 yards away with hundreds of miles of trails and a decent jump spot (from what I hear)
Shouldn't you be packing...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jacksonpt said:
<snip>
Are you talking paying taxes of $11K/year? :dead: :dead: :dead:

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Greyhound said:
Woah! ........I'm stunned at those numbers. Can't.....fathom.....big.....numbers.....brain......can't....comprehend.......very, very....poor....I...am.
Brian will be soon too!! :evil:
:stupid:

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Slugman said:
Shouldn't you be packing...
Should and "DO" are very different things. ;)

Actually, we were up till about 11:30 last night and got a lot done.
I hope to have everything with the TV set up at the new place before you come over so that when you help me lift the TV and truck it over there, all we have to do is put it on the stand and plug in the power. Then we can kick back with a beer and test the DVD player. Synopsis should work fine. :evil:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
Oh man.

This is why I am so glad I built a small 1800_sf home for MizN8 and myself first! I was all hot-to-trot to build a big 3000 french country lookin' builder's mansion, but after moving into a smaller house first, we learned that bigger isn't better.

Basements are for bikes. I love my full basement, 1200sf of open space. :thumb:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
N8 said:
Oh man.

Yea... the house we had before building was about 1850 sqft. With 2 kids and 2 dogs, that's tough... no room to get away from each other so we are contantly at each other's throats. We ended up with about 2800-3000 sqft in our current house.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
N8 said:
Oh man.

Yeah. The wife and I found out that when we moved up to 2400 sq foot from 1350 sq foot we simply traded small house problems for big house problems. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
OMFG. That's as bad as California's rediculous prices. Geezus - my 2400sq foot pad is about $200/mo for taxes.

Holy crap. I guess we've got it pretty good.
Virginia rules. Taxes just got raised a bunch, I now pay $1000/yr.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
SkaredShtles said:
OMFG. That's as bad as California's rediculous prices. Geezus - my 2400sq foot pad is about $200/mo for taxes.

Holy crap. I guess we've got it pretty good.
yea... taxes and heating bills alone would be just over 1/3 of my income. Thus the need to sell.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jacksonpt said:
yea... taxes and heating bills alone would be just over 1/3 of my income. Thus the need to sell.
If you move to NWLa, I'll be happy to build you a house that will be 100% finished on time for a reasonable cost.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
SkaredShtles said:
Look on the bright side, though - downsizing is *good* thing. More $$ for bikes in the long run. :thumb:
Yea... that's what I keep telling myself...
*XC hardtail and more trips off-road with my truck*

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I'll vouch for Brian, that 5 bedrooms is a whole lot of house for $1M out here. That'll get you a 2 bedroom condo, tops, in SF.

That much space, good schools, easy access to Tahoe... it's practically a steal. Seriously.

edit: Oh, and CONGRATS!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
N8 said:
If you move to NWLa, I'll be happy to build you a house that will be 100% finished on time for a reasonable cost.
I want to build again... I love everything about the whole process, except that fact that a newly built house gets a current asessment (or however you spell it) and thus taxes are outrageous.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
jacksonpt said:
Ouch. Good luck. Being house poor sucks.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sweet pad Brian. That place is a palace compared to some of the places I've been seeing for similar money in San Francisco. The idea of a separate house seems so luxurious...all those bedrooms, 3 car garage too, damn.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
OGRipper said:
Sweet pad Brian. That place is a palace compared to some of the places I've been seeing for similar money in San Francisco. The idea of a separate house seems so luxurious...all those bedrooms, 3 car garage too, damn.
A seperate house sounds awesome.
Buying a house in California was one of my top stressful experiences.
Our house hit the market on a Saturday morning. We bid 6k over at 11am the same day. Were already outbid by someone who hadn't even looked out the house. The only reason we got our house was a sappy letter to the owner about buying our first house, etc....
We ended up paying 11k over asking.... soo stressful.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
ridetoofast said:
how come no one has chimed in on the TP idea...
Because Brian has enough money to make you go away in a most disturbing manner. if you got close enough to TP his house he'd just release the hounds.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
amydalayna said:
A seperate house sounds awesome.
Buying a house in California was one of my top stressful experiences.
Our house hit the market on a Saturday morning. We bid 6k over at 11am the same day. Were already outbid by someone who hadn't even looked out the house. The only reason we got our house was a sappy letter to the owner about buying our first house, etc....
We ended up paying 11k over asking.... soo stressful.
It is very stressful, plus we have a place in Tahoe thats not renting because it's off season :dead:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
OGRipper said:
That was the most important thing....a 3 car garage.:thumb:

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Brian HCM#1 said:
It is very stressful, plus we have a place in Tahoe thats not renting because it's off season :dead:
i guess i don't really feel for you. i'm wishing there were more local homeowners in tahoe. so many vacation homeowners really drive up the prices in town. that, and i wish there was more of a sense of community here.

you could always sell your tahoe home to a local family at a reasonable price.... :)