Quantcast

Well wish me luck (OT)

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
I've not been around much due to being so busy. This Saturday is the day that all the work gets put on the line. We are pushing our pony to the starting grid at 9 AM to see how we stack up against the best of the best. We are doing a 300 mile boat race at the Bluewater in Parker, AZ. 300 miles is a long focking way!!
Our garage built engine that was put together just for this race made big power! For over an hour on the dyno the other day it made well over 900hp and the tourqe was right up there too. It never missed a beat.
I hear the one and only Robbie Gorden is driving the Factory Nordic entry and I really look forward to kicking his a$$ :D lol And for no other reason then we want to win and think we have a good shot at it! Do you think I should take an extra helmet so I can toss it at him when I go by? haha

So anyway I know this is off topic but I'm so giddy to put the hammer down I just had to post about it.

So if you are not doing anything and need a reason to head to the river come on out. We are The Short Bus Racing Team boat #71.

Here's the bus power.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
Damn thats a sweet mill, why not go with a twin turbo setup though? You could probably push that same engine to over 1400 HP and rev it lower too. Some kind of restriction in the rules?

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Grizzle said:
Damn thats a sweet mill, why not go with a twin turbo setup though? You could probably push that same engine to over 1400 HP and rev it lower too. Some kind of restriction in the rules?
This is a run what ya brung type of race. But what ever you bring puts you in what ever division you fit in. There is a handicap for the big guys.

Here was our engine choices

1. I have a freash ready to go 572" twin turbo engine set up for endurance.

2. Another team member has a 505" twin turbo with some time but pretty freash. This engine pulled speed skiers @ 100+ in 60 mile races and is a proven runner.

3. Boat owner has a 688" blown injected engine that I'm not so sure would live 300 miles.

Or start from scratch like we did.

If we run any of the forced induction engines or any thing over 510" we would be in division #6 (unlimitted).
We don't think we have the hull to compete in that class. And that class has a 60 min handicap at the start. The class we are in only has a 15 min handicap. Due to water conditions once things get sloppy (and it will real quick) we didn't think we could make up the 45 min. So here we are in division #2 with our little 509 @ 14.2 -1 compression that is installed in a 1976 vintage Spectra 20' v drive. ;)
We really do have a shot with this combo to be the first overall finisher. Sure guys will blow past us but can they lap us 15 times or so? I don't think so.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Pegboy said:
Have fun, you crazy bastard, and good luck. You will have to tell the story on some shuttle runs when you get back.
Wanna go? I have to be in Long Beach super early Sunday so I'm heading back right after the race is over. It'll only cost ya food and drink.

Edit: Oh, I'm headed out there early Friday.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Actually, yeah I'ld like to go ...buuut I have a wedding in SB that we have commited to. Thanks for the offer and get'r done!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Will that engine fit in a Ford Ranger?

:think:

Have fun and good luck!

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
mtnbikej said:
OH my god.....you finally got that thing finished......glad to hear that.

Good luck.

mtnbikej
Well we didn't run mine. I was just the shoe for another guys rig. Glad it was his and not mine because on the 48th mile the rods spit out the side and oiled everything (including myself) down real good.
Oh well, that's racing and we've already started on next years program.
We know what caused it and I'm happy that it was not my mistake. The thing was freaking fast. To fast really. We need to tone things down and make it live next time.