Quantcast

Wellgo Mag Ti axle?

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
anyone put a ti axle in their wellgo mag pedals?

i know wellgo makes xc pedals with ti axles for only like $50....wondering if i could put that axle in the mag pedals....i know people have had the mag pedals with ti axles....anyone know where they got the axle

i feel like a nerd for asking this, but i'm bored and i'm recovering from a gay thumb surgery while all you birds are out shredding in the hero dirt.....:disgust:

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
im pretty sure you can put the dmr v whatever axles into the mags. i bought a set online from a kid in canada two years ago or so that had added ti axles. pedals were stupid light but blew the body up finally

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
they're available with ti axles installed at a silly light weight of 300g (apparently). i'm really curious, but tentative. not sure how the shear strength of ti compares to steel, but popping off a pedal on something big at speed can't be fun. i've broken a couple ti bb's (back in the xc days), so i'm a bit sceptical of this type of application. give them a go a let us know how they hold up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Titanium-Wellgo-MG1-Magnesium-CNC-Sealed-Bearing-Black_W0QQitemZ370025816019QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL0802230829a7497

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I've been running ti/mag DMR v12s for 4 years now, no problems. Occasionally rip a pin out, but I did that on the old versions too. Certainly the axles have proved perfectly up to the task, and on the DMRs they save 100g over the steel axles IIRC.

My V12s weigh in at 353g/pair.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Oh and those can't be V12 axles inside because the V12 axles go all the way across the pedal, so they'd be too long.

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
i've got Ti axle MG1s - they are 318g. i found a BMX shop in the UK that had them a few years ago - they are hard to find. I'm don't run them on my DH bike though as i'll take the extra 60-100g for steel axles vs. the high consequences of losing a pedal. i use them on my AM rig where i actually notice how light they are.

i don't think V12 axles will work either.

BTW - those ones on ebay refer to the axle material as Cromo not Titanium.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
i've got Ti axle MG1s - they are 318g. i found a BMX shop in the UK that had them a few years ago - they are hard to find. I'm don't run them on my DH bike though as i'll take the extra 60-100g for steel axles vs. the high consequences of losing a pedal. .
Yep, 62 grams difference. I weighed new MG-1's last night at 380 grams/pair.

OilCanRacer

Chimp
Feb 13, 2008
been running ti wellgo pedals for a while and havn't had a problem. they have been on a hardtail and dh bike with some hard ridin.

got them with the ti axles in them
good grip too.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
What do you think of the pedals - it seems odd to me that there's no pins in the middle on the crank side.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
The ones on Ebay apparently are Titanium axled,the guys Engrish is not so good. I'm going to get a set,so I'll post and let you know if they're the real deal when they arrive.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
I've been very careful with trying not to hit rocks with these things but the pins still rip out quite easily. I'd like to get Ti axles but first I'm going to try and find a fix to this problem.

I'm going to drill and tap larger holes and see how it goes. Where possible I'll run aluminum cap screws through them like the MG-52's. If that turns out to work well I'll definately get a set of Ti axles because that would make the lightest, grippiest pedals ever!