Quantcast

Wells finishes sixth in Victory Circle Graphix Boulder Cup

Oct 20, 2009
<p>It was a beautiful day for a cyclo-cross race at Boulder's new Valmont Park, and Specialized's Todd Wells rode to a sixth place finish in the Colorado race after mixing it up with the top contenders throughout what was an animated race.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It stayed together much more than I thought it would today," said Wells, who assumed an early spot among the frontrunners.</p><p>
</p><p>
"My race started well. Ryan (Trebon) got the hole shot, and I was sitting in second wheel for most of the first half lap," he said. "When Trebon made a mistake, Wells took over at the front on the first lap.</p><p>
</p><p>
On the second lap, a group of 12 riders remained together at the front. There were small attacks, but the race kept coming back together.</p><p>
</p><p>
Between three and four laps into the race, Wells was with a group of eight when he crashed just before a mud section and lost some time while getting going again. Fortunately, he was not injured - he just had some minor scrapes.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I was going around the corner before one of the muddy sections at a place where the course transitioned from hard-packed to gravel," said Wells. "I was leaning in too much and lost traction and slid out on the road."</p><p>
</p><p>
With the pace surging and then easing, Wells chased for about two laps and managed to regain contact with the lead group.</p><p>
</p><p>
"With about one lap to go, I had a small gap with about six other riders. (Geoff) Kabush launched an attack out of our group of seven. He passed me, along with eventual winner Ben Berden. I tacked onto Tim (Johnson) and Ryan," said Wells. "Then I made a mistake in the mud and lost them."</p><p>
</p><p>
Tristan Schouten caught up to Wells with about two minutes to go in the final lap and managed to outsprint him for fifth place. Wells took sixth. At the front, Berden had dropped Kabush, who was caught and passed by Trebon in second and Johnson in third. Kabush was fourth.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It was a fun race. We were all close," said Wells.</p><p>
</p><p>
The 3km course featured mixed conditions. "Half of it was dry on the side of the hill and half - the low lying part - was in the shade and it was boggy mud," said Wells. It included a variety of obstacles including a few sand pits and a 15-second long stairs run-up.</p><p>
</p><p>
"The course was rideable, but it was turning into peanut buttery mud toward the end," he said. "You'd get lucky and hit a hard line and then you'd go for that same line the next time, but you'd get bogged down."</p><p>
</p><p>
The mud built up enough on the racers' bikes that they were pitting during the race. "I only took one bike," said Wells. "I think some riders took two bike swaps, but most were anywhere between one and three for the day."</p><p>
</p><p>
Wells raced Specialized Crux bikes with Specialized Terra mud tires.</p><p>
</p><p>
Plenty of spectators came out to enjoy the 60-degree weather on a calm day. "The Boulder Cup always draws a great crowd. Lots of people were dressed up in Halloween costumes although it seems like they dress up in Boulder no matter what!" said Wells.</p><p>
</p><p>
The dual cyclo-cross and mountain bike national champion will again switch disciplines. He will pause his 'cross season to travel to race the La Ruta de los Conquistadores mountain bike stage race in Costa Rica. The action in Central America kicks off on Wednesday.</p>

More...