Quantcast

Wells in second place after day 1 at La Ruta

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Specialized Racing's Todd Wells is back in Costa Rica trying to defend his title at La Ruta de los Conquistadores mountain bike stage race. The US marathon national champion finished second in stage 1 on Thursday and sits second overall in the general classification.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It was a hard day for me today," said Wells after the finish of a first stage that was shorter than in recent years. "Last year was longer by almost an hour and a half, and I gained 10 minutes. This year, it was an hour and a half shorter, and I gave up two minutes. I gave everything out there, and I was almost cramping for the last 10 or 15km."</p><p>
</p><p>
It was a hot, humid and sunny day in Costa Rica. Back for his second time at La Ruta, Wells said the prior experience was useful, but it didn't make it easier. "I felt like the Carara National Park jungle section was similar to last year, but I don't think knowing it helped at all."</p><p>
</p><p>
Racing on his Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper 29er hardtail, he stayed near the front for the first half of the race as attrition slowly slimmed down the lead group to about five men. Then things got tough.</p><p>
</p><p>
"In the middle of the race, I had some bad moments and dropped back to maybe fifth or sixth place," said Wells. "I ran out of water after one of my bottles floated down the stream when we crossed it. Last year, I took more bottles in the feed zone and this year, I didn't, so I was running out of water most of the day."</p><p>
</p><p>
"I rode the hardtail because today's course isn't too rough, and there was a lot of climbing. We had to push the bike a lot."</p><p>
</p><p>
Eventual stage winner Paolo Montoya attacked mid-race and got away. Although Rom Akerson and Roberto Heras would chase him, no one would catch the Costa Rican.</p><p>
</p><p>
"When Rom and Roberto followed Montoya, I got dropped," said Wells. "I ran out of water and got dehydrated. When we got to the feed zone before the pavement climb, I got some more water and was able to eat some gels and was able to pass Roberto and catch Rom toward the top. I got a small gap on Rom over the top, then he came back to me on the descent."</p><p>
</p><p>
On the rolling dirt road in the last 15km, Wells put a small gap on Akerson and would go on to finish the 110km stage from Herradura to San Jose alone. He crossed the line 2:08 behind Montoya.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I was happy to come back and only lose two minutes to the leader," said Wells.</p><p>
</p><p>
Wells' comeback on the lengthy road sections was helped by his choice of tires. He used Specialized Fast Trak tires - S-Works on the front and Control on the rear - both at 27psi. "Last year I ran a more aggressive mud tire, and it made me a little better in the Carara jungle section, but 90 percent of the course is either pavement or dirt and the Fast Trak tires roll a little faster than the mud tires."</p><p>
</p><p>
Stage 2 on Friday will feature 79km from near San Jose to Turrialba over the Iraz

More...