Quantcast

went Four Wheeling above Silverton Colorado in a rented Jeep today

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
so today we rented a Jeep and went fourwheeling in the mountains above Silverton. Crossed a 12700 foot and a 12900 foot pass. Some of the jeep trails gave me that pit in the stomach feeling as we squirmed around in either loose rock or mud with 500-1000 foot drop offs down a steep slope. The whole loop took 3.5 hours and cost us $100 in rental fees plus tax.

enjoy the slide show
http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b217/Eric1218/2012 Photos/2012 Great Cricle TC Road Trip low rez/Silverton Jeep Adventure/?albumview=slideshow

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I remember going over that many years ago when myself and my brother were just little kids with my Uncle and his girl friend at the time. It was raining/snow and I can distinctly recall the girl friend wailing like a banshee when the truck started slipping along one of the more...exposed...portions of the road. I believe that may well have been what killed that relationship for my uncle.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
at home with the big Aussie and the mother in law. We didn't want to leave her by herself so we also left Jake to keep her company. At 11 years old we figured the desert heat and the thin high mountain air might have been too much for her to take so why risk it.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Cool Eric, that looks familiar. I think that may have been the area where I did a hike while bumming around CO in the summer of '99. Walked a ways with an old timer named Gus who told me the history of Skiing in the state and how it was started by the US military for training purposes during WWII.

Beautiful scenery, would love to visit again.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Definately on my to-do list now! Thanks for sharing. I did a lot of jeeping in Moab on my mtb trip, and while it was very fun, renting seems like the way to go.