Quantcast

Went old school this weekend

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
The trails here were too sloppy to ride this weekend, so instead I cleaned up my old 1994 cromo Kona hardtail, removed the worthless Rock Shox Quadra 21 fork, installed the original rigid fork and took it for a spin around town. I haven't ridden this baby for several years and man, what a difference from my 575!

I bought this bike new in 1994 and rode it exclusively until late 2002. It was a great bike for riding Missouri singletrack, but after 3 seasons out here in CO, my body couldn't take it any more and I had to go full suspension. Since then, I think I've ridden the Kona a total of 3 times, all on the road. Although, after Saturday’s ride, I'm seriously thinking about dropping some money into this bike and re-inventing it as a 1x9 lean mean street bike.

Don't you love the brake brace? When I upgraded from canti to v-brake (circa 1996/7 I think), I had to install the brace because the seat stays are so flexy that I had absolutely no stopping power in back.

I've kept the original fork around, just in case I wanted to rebuild it as a street machine. I'm finding it kind of difficult to find an affordable threaded 1-1/8 headset (no, I'm not paying $125 for a King threaded), so if I have to get threadless, I'll probably end up getting a Surly 1x1 rigid fork.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I wouldn't buy the Surly fork, I have ridden several and they offer no compliance at all they are so stiff, I'd either search Ebay for a decent headset or buy a fork of another Mfg. And don't get me wrong I really like Surly ,just not their forks, forks need to have a little give not be stiff like a brick.

other than that sweet resurection...

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
MunkeeHucker said:
I wouldn't buy the Surly fork, I have ridden several and they offer no compliance at all they are so stiff, I'd either search Ebay for a decent headset or buy a fork of another Mfg. And don't get me wrong I really like Surly ,just not their forks, forks need to have a little give not be stiff like a brick.

other than that sweet resurection...
Any suggestions other than Surly? I was looking at the 1x1 for 2 reasons. 1) cheap ($50) and 2) is available with brake bosses only.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am getting my old Rigid One back from my son next weekend and haven't decided what to do to it. I was thinking of building it out for street use with 8 speeds. but part of me likes the idea of some basic dirt use as well. Depending on how trashed the drivetrain is, I might end up making it SS.

It's not as old school as yours, but it is back to basics and a big change from my DH bike.