Quantcast

went riding for the first time

kobidge

Chimp
Sep 30, 2005
foster city, ca
i just picked up a new bike a couple of weeks ago, and just had my first mountain biking experience, ever. a friend of mine took me down a few downhill trails and i have to say i had a lot of fun! these probably weren't the best trails for a novice, but it was definitely a good learning experience.

does anybody know if any companies make women-specific pads/armor? i'm definitely in the market for some knee/shin & elbow guards.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Welcome! I personally have had good luck with 661 arm and leg guards (I run them for Freeride & DH & occassionally for XC) and prior to that I liked the Fox 911 pads as well. I would suggest hitting a local bike shop to try some on to make sure of sizing and fit.

What kind of bike did you get?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Hey! Good to see another female biker here.

In terms of pads, I have some cheap 661 (in the $30 range) and they do the trick and stay in place really well, compared to the other ones I've tried.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
kobidge said:
sweet, i'm gonna go by some bike shops this weekend and see what they have.
i like the veggie 661 pads for xc(ish) rides. they are very flexible. But for DH and BMX I really love the roach fr pads. race face makes them now.
You might want to try the pads on at the shop and pedal with them on, because sometimes pads are comfortable when you are standing up, but not so when you are sitting and pedalling.... just a thought.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I don't have pads

yet

but am definitely checking them out due to a trip to the emergency room a few weeks ago..

nothing says fun like getting gravel picked outta your elbow!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
MudGrrl said:
I don't have pads

yet

but am definitely checking them out due to a trip to the emergency room a few weeks ago..

nothing says fun like getting gravel picked outta your elbow!
Gravel is the worst to crash on...I hate having to pick it out of wounds.

kobidge

Chimp
Sep 30, 2005
foster city, ca
ya, i took a fall when i went riding. i ended up going off of my first jump, which was a total blast and i can't wait to do it again, but after i landed i grabbed the rear brake too hard on very loose terrain and ended up locking up the rear wheel and that took me down.

i'm definitely going to bring my bike with me to try on some pads, because i want the slip on kinds. i know those are going to be hot, but i'll manage, especially since i have a couple of tattoos that i'd like to protect (along with my skin, of course.)

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
pads will make you into a much more confident rider too. Once I finally stopped bruising and cutting up my legs, I was naturally beginning to take more risks and not stress out about jumping things

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I always wear armor because I am constantly using mine. Since I live in the Pacific Northwest, the trees, roots and rock are quite wild here and regularly attack humans.

It's important to find armor, especially leg armor, that fits, so try not to order online unless you have already tried stuff on. I should know, I'm on my third set of leg armor. :angry: I particularly have the chafing problem around the knees. Also, find some that won't slide down when you're sweating. Because you will sweat alot in this stuff.

Also consider if you are going to be wearing flat pedals, to find some leg armor that is covered in the back with material unless you wear long pants. If you intend on jumping, etc. you will probably move to flat pedals and they are hell on the flesh!