Quantcast

Went Shopping for Compound Bows today

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Hit Lodi Archery and got fitted. I have long arms so I needed a bow with a long draw. really liked the PSE Drive R @60 pounds it was easy to hold and I was accurate with it after about 9 arrows at a small target 10 yards down range, launches them at 336FPS

with this sight

arrow rest

Going back on the 19th with the wife for a session with their insturtor before we commit to a purchase

Ruth really liked this one for herself, she was very accurate with it

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I tried to buy an old Martin Cougar Magnum last week off of Craigslist. Price was 25 bucks. Seemed like a good price to try out archery, but the guy never got back to me. I've got space in my backyard to play around, I just don't know a lot about archery.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
http://www.lodiarchery.com/home.html

Bows: PSE, Martin, Bear , Accessories: Turgio, True Fire, Easton, Trophy Ridge

Full Bow set up is going to run around $650 in budget per my banker (Ruth)

not purchased yet
my suggestion is to look at a few more manufacturers before you seal the deal. you should really give Matthews, Bowtech, Hoyt, and Elite a very good look, these brands are by far the most solid buys on the market. PSE, Martin and bear used to be decent rigs but over the years they have really fallen in quality due to the tech race.

when you decide to purchase a bow you need to keep in mind that it will depreciate every year you own it until it is worth nothing due to the tech races. So invest wisely on a unit that will last you 4-6 years before you buy another.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Funny...had the gromms in the woods today throwing arrows at an old 3d range near us. Little one os getting good, and the big one is outgrowing his stuff too quickly. Both shoot recurves they got in Germany, and have quickly outgrown any instruction I can offer. They are thinking about shooting in a local league at one of the archery shops in the area. Frau even wants to get a bow after shooting the big ones...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I should have it in hand Thursday. Ivgot the pro model so little more belks and whistles. Dude is going to help me get it all set up and such, only thing I plan to add is a kisser button.

If you want, come hunting season I am always looking for someone to come a long, a whitetail doe tag should run you about a hundred dollars here for out of state.... Got access to a good stretch of river access on private land too

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Mine showed up yesterday, gonna go out back when little man goes to sleep and see how well I set it up.

Later when little man eakes up I will go up to she shop for a kisser button and likely a few other goodies

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
So finally heard back from the guy I got my bow from... "Thank you for your email and concern. The reason for your upgrades and pricing is that you received a preorder product in which the customer was supposed to return some time ago. We sold a number of those bows on eBay and yours was sent randomly. Thank you again, and we look forward to doing more business with you in the future."

So with that, I will have no problem ordering stuff from them.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
So archery shop had me shooting yesterday and totally changed my sight set up, added a kisser button, and had me crank up to 70 pounds. Feels different but shooting substantially more accurate.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Bringing up my draw poundage slowly. Between the recently healed (fractured) elbows and the surgically reconstructed distal biceps tendon I do not want to re injure anything. I now have it up to 60 pounds and I will let it stay there for a few weeks to see how everything feels after a few hundred arrows.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I gotta take mine in and have it retimed now that I have shot it and really broke it in. Also going to have them take it back down to 65 pounds, 70 is just a little to much for my shoulder.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
One turn each for this one I find. Extreme performance archery is the shit when it comes to getting a tune done.

After the retune and setting it at 65 pounds it just chronographs at 290 fps. No reason to go to 70