Quantcast

Went to a show last night...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
And a movie set broke out. I saw Bouncing Souls and Dropkick Murphys in Ludwigsburg (Near Stuttgart...) and I swear, every 3rd person was holding up their phone/camera whatever and taking video. Even in the pit, which, btw, was the most polite mosh I have ever been in...raging hard, but totally polite. Weird. But back to my point...I swear I am going to bring a bb gun the next time I go to a show and shoot cameras out of hands...

Where/when does this cross the line into bootleg-ish copyright infringement stuff?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
what i find more annoying...the people who can't quit texting/updating their facebook while they are at a show.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
johne....these are the people you single out in the pit.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
You saw Bouncing Souls last night? I'm definitely jealous! I haven't seen them in years, always a good time.

Dropkick is also good but their shows attract a lot of d-bags now that they've become more popular.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
facebook + iPhone + unbridled narcissism = the state of the audience at gigs today.
it was interesting that jeff mangum is not allowing photography/recording.....including cell phones....

40 Watt Club
presents
Two Nights
with
Jeff Mangum
of Neutral Milk Hotel
with Andrew, Scott & Laura
(members of Elf Power & The Gerbils)

Night I
Friday February 10 | 8 PM Doors | SOLD OUT!

Night II
Saturday February 11 | 8 PM Doors | SOLD OUT!

TICKETS ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE
LIMIT FOUR (4) TICKETS PER PERSON
NO PHOTOGRAPHY/NO RECORDING ALLOWED!
THIS INCLUDES CELL PHONES!

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Steve- You're right about the pit...I wanted to blast all these idiots. I kept waiting for one ot get upset about being jostled about while filming.

We were up in the seating area during Bouncing Souls...looking at the seating below us all you saw was the glow of phones. So glad I dont have one.

I have been following DKM for over 10 years now, it has been interesting to watch them evolve. But yeah, lots of d-bags, and I fear they are in danger of becoming the most over merchandised band since the Misfits...
On that note, their show was great. Some old stuff, some new...one song Ken said they wrote for the new album (In utero now...) and he swore it was being played in public for the first time. Hmmm...
But they also did an MTV Unplugged-esqe acoustic set that was very cool.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it was interesting that jeff mangum is not allowing photography/recording.....including cell phones....
he didn't allow any credential photographers either last year...

and at the Tool show, when i was returning to the show after stowing my cameras (after the 1 measly song i got to shoot in relative pitch blackness), i overheard a guy ranting on his phone to a friend, saying he got kicked out for taking a photo w/ his phone (there were signs posted).

Tweedy has also instituted a no cameras/phones policy at Wilco shows.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Tweedy has also instituted a no cameras/phones policy at Wilco shows.
from the short amount of time i spent at their show last year.....he was giving a couple of people sh!t about taking pictures with their phone....it was kind of funny.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i saw elton john yesterday´s night.

damn, at least 90% of the people in the entire stadium had cell phones in the air during benny and the jets/crocodrile rock....

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
I have been following DKM for over 10 years now, it has been interesting to watch them evolve. But yeah, lots of d-bags, and I fear they are in danger of becoming the most over merchandised band since the Misfits...
On that note, their show was great. Some old stuff, some new...one song Ken said they wrote for the new album (In utero now...) and he swore it was being played in public for the first time. Hmmm...
Yeah I've also been following them for a while. I actually saw them back in the day with their original lead singer Mike McColgan. I saw them play in the Fall with the Street Dogs (Mike's new band) and he came out and did a few songs with Dropkick which was pretty cool.

I hear ya about the over merchandising of Dropkick. When I saw them last they had so many different items for sale with their name on it. I understand a band needing to make money from their shows since not much money is made anymore from album sales but it seems to be getting a little ridiculous. It seemed that if their name was on something along with a shamrock or irish flag then everyone wanted to buy it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Steve- You're right about the pit...I wanted to blast all these idiots. I kept waiting for one ot get upset about being jostled about while filming.

We were up in the seating area during Bouncing Souls...looking at the seating below us all you saw was the glow of phones. So glad I dont have one.

you mean devolve. the last time i saw them was probably 6 or so years ago now, and even back then it was nothing more than a sing-along for drunk frat boys.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Jon, my meaning is that their music has changed...I could give a sh!t about the crowds. From their days as hard core Boston punks to todays mixture of originals and speeded up traditional Irish music, I have dug it all. Where before I discovered bands like the Street Dogs and re discovered old AC/DC, lately I have turned onto older acoustic Irish guys like Tommy Makem and the Clancy Brothers and the Chieftans.
If a crowd attracts you to or keeps you away from a band, then I would say your priorities are different than mine AFA music goes...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
...when I saw them last spring in Pomona, the Tossers opened, and now as they go back stateside. the Mahones and Frank Turner are set to open a few for them. 2 great openers fwiw.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
you mean devolve. the last time i saw them was probably 6 or so years ago now, and even back then it was nothing more than a sing-along for drunk frat boys.
They should tour with Pennywise.

I fvcking hate going to shows and seeing the cell phone recording, or even camera with LED back display, going on for the whole show. The sound and footage can't be that good. Try recording it with your brain!

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
...when I saw them last spring in Pomona, the Tossers opened, and now as they go back stateside. the Mahones and Frank Turner are set to open a few for them. 2 great openers fwiw.
The Tossers are awesome! I saw them open for Dropkick at Saranac Brewery years ago. Didn't really mind the crowd at that show but it's probably because I was too drunk to care. Shows at breweries are awesome :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Jon, my meaning is that their music has changed...I could give a sh!t about the crowds. From their days as hard core Boston punks to todays mixture of originals and speeded up traditional Irish music, I have dug it all. Where before I discovered bands like the Street Dogs and re discovered old AC/DC, lately I have turned onto older acoustic Irish guys like Tommy Makem and the Clancy Brothers and the Chieftans.
If a crowd attracts you to or keeps you away from a band, then I would say your priorities are different than mine AFA music goes...
my comment was an insult to their music as much as it was to the crowd.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Gallager would never tolerate that stuff. Hose 'em all with soda like it's the coolest thing you've ever done at a concert. Sip, spray, make sprinkler motion with arm. Repeat.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Gallager would never tolerate that stuff. Hose 'em all with soda like it's the coolest thing you've ever done at a concert. Sip, spray, make sprinkler motion with arm. Repeat.
maybe they should take a page out of Gwar or ICP's playbook and spray 'em down w/ Faygo or fake blood and jizz.