Quantcast

went to a Sonic Youth concert last night.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
and as usual, it f'in rocked the house. this band is a american institution, and they have cranked out their 3rd straight strong record in a row, after a couple of mis-steps in the late 90s. opened w/ "Candle", can it get any better? well as per their usual MO, they did most of the songs of the record they are touring on, but also cracked out a couple of old chestnuts (world is red; shaking flesh) and roasted 'em but good.

this was the 1st gig i shot w/ the 30D, and had a couple of fast rental lenses in the bag as well. i was expecting the kill. last night, looking @ the RAWs, i was bummed. but after spending some time tweaking them in PS, i'm pretty happy w/ how they turned out over all. you be the judge.

thurston, noise guitar king:

thurston giving me the finger:

lee, after digging into his toolbox:

i dig the B&W effect:

kim, approaching her victims:

mark ibold, veteran of both Pavement and "Strangers with Candy". no one else can make that claim.

the advantages of a gig in a big club is cool lighting:

sacrifice to the god of noise:

bullseye:

fun gig to shoot, and to be at. if you like SY but haven't gotten the new one yet, definitely pick it up...at least 4 stellar songs to add to their repetoire..."Rats", "Reena", "Turquoise Boy" and "Pink Steam". Kim was playing a mean slide/noise attack on "rats", and it's always good to hear Lee sing.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the wife manned the gear bag last night...get this - the club is noted for their fascist staff...i was a bit worried i'd get hassled by the club for bringing in pro camera gear, even though i know the official club policy is that it's up to the band (and SY doesn't care), and i was on the list from a local station for winning tickets anyway.

so i get in w/ no hassles, stake a prime spot @ front and take the camera out of the bag...security guy comes up to me and says i have to check the bag (it's an xs messenger bag, smaller than most woman's pocketbooks); it's a fire hazard he says. huh? i tell him i've got lenses, batteries, CF cards, all this crap i don't want to check. i ask him if they make women check their bags. no, he says. so my wife takes the bag, puts it over her shoulder, and says it's got her tampons in it. case closed. :D

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Narlus, did you not care for 'incinerate' off the new one? I thought that was one of the strongest cuts. Thanks for the great pic's!

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Nice stuff. What exactly were the issues that showed up? I know that CS2 will, by default, try to open all very dark RAW images by oxerexposing and ruining them, then with one quick click they are back to normal again.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Nice stuff. What exactly were the issues that showed up? I know that CS2 will, by default, try to open all very dark RAW images by oxerexposing and ruining them, then with one quick click they are back to normal again.
that was the main thing; somehow the ACR managed to re-turn on the 'auto' settings, and some pictures had huge amount of noise in 'em when i was viewing, even stuff taken at relatively low ISO like 1000. i thought my sensor was crap; (there was one especially noisy image when the exposure was set to the AUTO level, which i later found was taken @ ISO3200 so it was supposed to be rather dark). then there's the relative sharpness which gets resolved after using USM. once i sorted that out i was fine.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Nice Shots !

So how do you like the 30D vs the XT ?
i like being able to adjust ISO on the fly w/ my eye still in the viewfinder. still getting used to a couple of the buttons on the layout (and it would be awesome if you could also see the metering in the viewfinder), but it feels good. the 5 fps was excellent for getting the jump sequence. taking portrait shots is a bit unwieldy, i may look into getting a battery grip at some point. so far, i dig it.

BAH, thanks for the words, it means a lot to me.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Great shots. Makes me wish I could have been there. I waited too late to get tickets to their DC show and it was sold out. Stupid me.

The latest record is one of their best efforts. That song Reena on the new album has to be one of the catchiest songs I've heard by any band in a long long time.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I saw sonic youth at this really tiny place 6 years ago. They rocked. Eddie vedder made a guest appearnec but I didn't think it was him because he had this pretty boy hair cut. Anyways. They were super nice and played forever.