Quantcast

Went to my first pro baseball game today

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
We don't have our own team where I live but occasionally (4 or 5 times a year) they play some games here. Today was the Hanshin Tigers (Osaka) versus the Hiroshima Crap...err Carp.:rolleyes:
My mate (Aussie) had bought some tickets and a group of us went (all Aussies). My elder boy was dead keen to go to so I took him, although he was bored sh*tless after 5 minutes.

Me and the boy took the train in and due to the trains schedules we were there for 45 minutes before my mates arrived. We had the cheapest tickets and our seats were looking into the sun. We were just the foul side of the 3rd base line? (see pic- sorry very crappy camera phone pics) Game started at 6. No sooner had we sat down then noticed a bit of a brouhaha. If you look at the second pic, well the guy wearing the helmet (centre left) and another guy were screaming at each other. Both as pissed as newts. No restrictions on beer here. Maximum swillage encouraged. The security guys got between them and it looked like it was gonna peter out. Then each sides hangers on decided to get involved and it looked like it was gonna be an all in, especially after helmet guys woman friend got belted. So security frog marches this bloke out (not helmet guy). Helmet guy is coaxed back to his seat by security and proceeds to pass out on his girlfriends lap for the next 2 hours. Great start I thought. Now boys will be boys but with the young-un there I'd rather not have to deal with his thing. This was all before the game started. 10 minutes later i see another guy getting booted out this time by Mr Plod. Hot day plus beer plus notoriously rambunctious Hanshin fans equals a bit of a tense atmosphere. Fortunately the game broke out soon after interrupted our entertainment. Morons will be morons. Anyway.

Impressions of the game. Now I was brought up playing cricket but we sometimes played baseball at school so I knew the rules and everything. Watching the pros was very impressed at the standard of fielding especially the throwing. Way better arms than cricket players, pinpoint every-time at pace. Lovely to watch. Was side on so couldn't see the pitchers lateral movement but the way they got the ball to dip (sinker?) was great. You pitch from a bit closer than you bowl in cricket and suffice is to say it looked pretty difficult to hit that ball. Despite that the game was a bit of a slugfest. Hanshin won 14-11. Me and the boy left in the 5th innings as he had the squirts and wasn't too well.

The fans were interesting. They had a chant for every player and the noise was unceasing. they had these plastic clapper things and it was literally non-stop. Drove me a bit barmy. There was one American (I assume) guy playing and I think his name was Andy Shi tsu (in Japanese anyway- maybe Schitt????) Anyway we had a lot of fun with that.

All in all quite interesting but would probably enjoy myself more at a MLB game.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
valve bouncer said:
Now I was brought up playing cricket ....
There is a sport named after one of N8's favorite replies.......

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Glad you had fun, baseball games can be great fun. Beer, dogs, beer, peanuts, beer, and some sort of game going on in the background. :D

Hitting that ball is very difficult.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Ciaran said:
Glad you had fun, baseball games can be great fun. Beer, dogs, beer, peanuts, beer, and some sort of game going on in the background. :D

Hitting that ball is very difficult.
Here it's beer, octopus dumplings, beer, onigiri, beer. They had this girl coming around wearing what looked like a huge camelback with a spigot and she'd serve you a beer. Damn there was a lot of drunk people there.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Ball games in Japan are a blast. I still think I have a couple pairs of the clappers around in a box somewhere.

tacoyaki + beer = :)

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
you've done the whole sumo thing, no? probably would have a lower proportion of drunken louts :D