Quantcast

Wentz Airlifted from the US Championships

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Bummer Phil, When are you able to ride again?

As for Wentz trying to double the jumps up:
We went and saw him on Sunday night, and he doesn't remember anything about that run. His impression was that he was just trying to hit them race pace, and it was too much, and I believe him. Wentz is crazy, but not stupid, and anyone who's seen those jumps would know that to hit them with intent to double is stupid. Heal fast Wentz!

TheInedibleHulk said:
Netflix is a good idea.

Mike, another piece of significanly less tragic bad news, looks like im missing the whole collegiate season thanks to this damn hand thing. I had surgery on it on monday. I thought it would be fine but I found out today I have to have a hard cast on it for four weeks. In two weeks I may see if I can get a new cast molded to a grip.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Well, they told me 4 weeks, but im holding out a glimmer of hope that I can ride sooner. Ive got those temporary pins that go trough your skin, which means I cant move the finger at all, but im hoping that I can get a cast that will let me grip the bar. I was thinking of taking a lockon with me in a week or two and grabbing it before the cast hardens.

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
I know sanjay said:
Word on the street was he trying to double up the "coffin" jumps? Yay or nay.
I was told he was trying to hit from the first lip to the table of the second jump...with a few pedals it would be possible but scarier than George W's second presidency

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Those jumps were really stupid. I saw Wentz laying on the jumps being helped by the medics from the gondola. I was really hoping that no one would get hurt on them. :(

My plan all weekend was to soak them as much as possible and them maybe double the last one if my body position was decent. But I judged them too much of a risk for the little time reward of doubling them all during the race.

I hope he heels well.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Those coffin jumps suck... They're all crooked with weird lips and landings. I think they should just build regular jumps, like the double on the beginning of lower velocity.

Sgt Brown

Monkey
Feb 19, 2002
Trabuco Canyon, CA
hucker13 said:
Those coffin jumps suck... They're all crooked with weird lips and landings. I think they should just build regular jumps, like the double on the beginning of lower velocity.

Me and a group of friends went to Mammoth a couple of months back for a fun riding weekend. The first time I tried to jump those coffin jumps, I almost went over the bars. They jump you in a high speed right off a loose hill right into a hole that bucks you over the first 10' table. Lame! We just stayed away from those things all weekend. The big step up jump next to it on Velocity was what we'd hit every time, then on to Chain Smoke. When I heard that Chain Smoke was part of the course, I didn't think they'd be stupid enough to route it thru those coffin jumps. I knew someone would get seriously hurt or killed. I just didn't know it'd be one of my riders. Norba/Mammoth are actually proud of those jumps. Check out this quote on the norba website.

"The 1.7 mile pro course started at 10,425 feet in elevation and dropped to 8,913 feet, with the famous tabletop coffin jumps highlighting the course for spectators."

You've got to be f'in kidding me! I walked the course during the pro race and there was one guy filming those lame jumps. The only reason they are famous is because they are possibly the worse jumps ever built. Spectator Highlight. What f'in spectators?! There might have been 150 people on course. That's what happens when you push the pro race back until 3:15! People have to get home. I can't believe how badly this race was run. And how about that exciting national championship 4X course. Wow, watching some of the best riders in the world follow eachother down a course with tiny jumps and poorly made burms, like a train........ Thanks for ruining our sport guys. I think I'll be spending my time and money in Whistler next year. F Norba....... Bastards!

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Seems like more often than not when Norba directs, or TBB participates in the building of jumps it turns out badly.
IMO if you can't create air by manipulating the course to take advantage of terrain then that's just the way it goes. I prefer not to have man-made terrain features (excluding berms) on DH courses.

As for MtX......how many times does Norba have to do this to realize that their paradigm does not work?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Sgt Brown said:
Me and a group of friends went to Mammoth a couple of months back for a fun riding weekend. The first time I tried to jump those coffin jumps, I almost went over the bars. They jump you in a high speed right off a loose hill right into a hole that bucks you over the first 10' table. Lame! We just stayed away from those things all weekend. The big step up jump next to it on Velocity was what we'd hit every time, then on to Chain Smoke. When I heard that Chain Smoke was part of the course, I didn't think they'd be stupid enough to route it thru those coffin jumps. I knew someone would get seriously hurt or killed. I just didn't know it'd be one of my riders. Norba/Mammoth are actually proud of those jumps. Check out this quote on the norba website.

"The 1.7 mile pro course started at 10,425 feet in elevation and dropped to 8,913 feet, with the famous tabletop coffin jumps highlighting the course for spectators."

You've got to be f'in kidding me! I walked the course during the pro race and there was one guy filming those lame jumps. The only reason they are famous is because they are possibly the worse jumps ever built. Spectator Highlight. What f'in spectators?! There might have been 150 people on course. That's what happens when you push the pro race back until 3:15! People have to get home. I can't believe how badly this race was run. And how about that exciting national championship 4X course. Wow, watching some of the best riders in the world follow eachother down a course with tiny jumps and poorly made burms, like a train........ Thanks for ruining our sport guys. I think I'll be spending my time and money in Whistler next year. F Norba....... Bastards!
I'll have to say that those Turner/Honda guys totally rip. I loved watching them run down the mountain all weekend.

The 4x course was possibly the worst excuse for a course I could imagine. It was stupid watching the world champ going that slow down the course. All the competitors looked like they were in slow motion. I expected more.

As for spectators, charging money to get up the gondola really keeps the spectators to a minimum. I had to give my wife my competitor lift ticket, so she could come all the way from Tennessee to watch me run down the mountain.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I'm glad to hear steve is so optomistic and that his injuries, however serious, sound as though they won't impact his future too greatly. It seems to have been an extra rough season, with lots of serious injuries, but that could just be because I've been injured for most of it now and have had time to pay extra attention. I'm just thankful that we got through a season with out losing anyone this year. Be safe everyone, I don't want to hear anymore injury reports!!

On a side note: I gained 15 degrees of rotation in my wrist over the last week!! :D

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Steve get`s well soon ,and as far as the inbread white trash non riding douchebag loosers from TBB ,those guy`s suck ,they are 909 trash born and raised :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

Ratfink

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
SoCal
GREAT NEWS!!! I just got off the phone with Steve’s mom. Mimi said that Steve’s spinal surgery was a 100% success!! The surgeon stated that Steve will soon be ready to do anything he wants. I spoke with Steve for only a few minutes, he’s a little doped up at this time. Steve and his mom want to thank everyone for all the positive thoughts and prayers. Steve is scheduled to be release from Washoe Medical Center in Reno this Sunday. He will be recuperating at his parents house in California. :p