Quantcast

We're building :)

Oct 23, 2009
Hillsboro
We just started building some trail and we are including some "North Shore" style ladders, drops, etc. I've been doing some research on ways people have come up with rungs, a lot of great ideas of what work and what doesn't.

So now I'm searching for actual structure building hints, tips, and ideas. We've got a couple of posts set and we are going to be putting up support, ladders and all the goods.

So if you've got pics or any info on actual building of bridges, ladders, drops, skinnies, supports etc, I'll take it. Any ideas are welcome too, I've found that when out working in the woods, sometimes more than one mind can make a feature very interesting and better on some occasions....only some occasions.

We've got a decent trail put into place and now we are going to start added our features...as soon as this rain stops. I guess we get to see how our drainage works:confused:

Apr 10, 2007
Here read this:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=73697

and this:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=61

If at all possible, you should use cedar for rungs, it splits straight, lasts a long time, and smells delicious. We didn't have cedar at our trail so we found it for free on craigslist, bucked it, split it, and hiked it down. It was a pain in the ass but it's worth it. Also, don't use pallet wood, it looks like sh!t and falls apart.

Oct 23, 2009
Hillsboro
Yes, a lot of dribble. The guy makes works of art and is dedicated to it, that's for sure. I just got off the phone with ODF and they explained that I can only take logs up to 5" in diameter, which will work great for supports. So I'm guessing I'll have to find some private land owners to take big diameter logs to make rungs. I've been scouring the PDX area for free or wood that is going to work, kind of hard to come by. Can't believe I live in the NW and I can't find wood:rolleyes:

Oct 23, 2009
Hillsboro
There are tons of old stumps where I'm building, so we are moving dirt around to built some dirt kickers, but I'm also going to incorporate some ladders in there too. It will make it more interesting and a lot more challenging.