Quantcast

We're here because we're here because we're here... (BV's move thread, with pics)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So, not many posts in the past couple weeks from me, since we've been in the hellish process of moving my entire life, and my girlfriend's life, 800 miles south to Greenville, NC.

I guess we didn't really realize how much small stuff needed to be packed so we did a little bit of slacking, catching up with friends, etc. Took hundreds and hundreds of pounds of garbage to the dump, and since the box spring wouldn't fit out of the house, I dropped it off a roof.

We had a couple of nice going-away parties thrown for us, and a bunch of the directors and workers at the company we worked for came out to the bar to see us off. My boss's boss just bought a new BMW Z4 and let me take it out for a spin :D

Despite all of our preperation, the last weekend was a hell of 12-16 hour days, non-stop moving :dead:. Next time I do this, I'm either throwing out everything before I go, or hiring people to move it for me.

The plan was to sleep for a few hours, then drive all night. Well, the sleep never happened, so it took us approximately 15 hours to get down here with a few stops for naps along the way. Not fun. At all. My cat, Joe, took it like a champ, though, and didn't say a peep the whole way. He just settled in and enjoyed the ride.

When we got down here and unpacked from the Uhaul, there were more problems: the water was rusty, the drains didn't drain, the 'fridge didn't cool and a laundry list of other problems. This is supposed to be one of the nicer apartment complexes in the area, so I was suprised and disappointed. However, a mere two hours after we lodged the complaint, a kickass maintenance guy named Tommy showed up and fixed nearly everything. He came back the next day and fixed the remaining small stuff - that relieved all of my concerns about the problems.

Now that we're unpacked and have spent a fortune on new furniture, electronics, etc., here are some pictures:

I just bought my first nice knife set - a set of J.A. Henckles full-tang, carbon stainless blades. They may not be the best around, but knives like these make it a pleasure to cook. The kitchen:

If you'll note the brand new Sony WEGA Trinitron in the corner - a 27" flatscreen. Such a nice TV. Did I mention my girlfriend picked it out? :love: Here's the living room (and a cameo by Joe):

Jenn and I have a deal: she gets the majority of the input on decorating the house, and I get a "Men's Room" where I have free reign. Please note here the 19" LCD panel that I received as a very early birthday present. :heart: my generous girlfriend.

I've not yet unpacked all of my bike stuff - the room will likely be much more cluttered once I do so.

Last, but not least, we have the pool area - don't have pictures of the hot tub yet, or the other pool, but they're both available to us :D:

All the rest of the images (bedroom, other angles, etc.) can be seen here:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v288/binaryvisions/greenville/

So, overall I'm pretty excited with this new direction in my life and happy with the apartment and the area. I think it'll be a great experience and next year I'll be going back to school full-time to get my long-delayed undergraduate degree.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
What BV failed to mention was the opressive 95 deg heat and 95% humidity that was there to greet him as a "Welcoming present". :p

Looks great, BV. Can't wait until we're able to get you on the trails. I'll keep in touch...... :eviltongu

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Welcome to North Carolina. Just remember don't ever talk bad about ECU football or you are going to end up in a world of hurt. They live in a land of illusion and make believe. ECU motto "Just wait until next year."

If you are a carnivore make sure you find your way to B's Barbeque for lunch. Go early as they close when they run out. Skylight Inn is also really good. Its in Ayden but its close.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
DRB said:
Welcome to North Carolina. Just remember don't ever talk bad about ECU football or you are going to end up in a world of hurt. They live in a land of illusion and make believe. ECU motto "Just wait until next year."

.....'O to have Jeff Blake and Robert Jones back again. As an ECU grad, I subscribe wholeheartdly to the "just wait until next year" line of thinking. We've been working the hind tit for awhile in Conf. USA, but I WILL say this:

Nobody tailgates better than we do.

I may have managed to scrape myself off the ground for entry into maybe two, three games in my college tenure...... :thumb:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
sweet! moving is such a pain in the ass, I know you are glad to be settled in.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
......BV's gonna have neck problems for the first few weeks from checking out all the hottie East Carolina girls! :p

....and it's the height of shorty-shorts season down there!! :cool:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Thanks for the well wishes, everyone and the greetings from those in the south. I've got some other plans for the next week or so but I'll be scouting the trails soon enough!

rob: I couldn't believe property values down here... For this ~1000 sq. ft. apartment with amenities like free movie rentals, gym, sauna, hot tub, pools, etc. it only runs $625/month. Between two people, that's dirt cheap.

IAB: Unfortunately, I do not own a wok or that would have made it into the picture ;)

MMcG: Yep, it's a damn nice pool... and there's a second one here, too.

narlus: Good suggestion, I'll mount it in the closet. Then I won't even have to leave the room. Maybe I should buy a mini-fridge too, so I don't have to stumble to the kitchen for beer and salsa.

Big thanks to Greyhound for all of the information he's given me about the area... It's been a huge help in our decisions!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
bluebug32 said:
Holy crap!! I'm movin! I pay $650 for a 1 bedroom + electric. In the old development I was in (that had some amenities) was 895 for a 1 bedroom.
That's what I said when I looked at property values down here. You can get a halfway decent 2 bedroom apartment for $450/month. Hell, the nearly 1200 sq. ft. 2 bedroom apartments here were about $750. Oh, I forgot to mention, we have washer/dryer hookups and a full sized space to put a washer and dryer in.

The "den" could easily be a second bedroom, too, in the one bedroom places. It's small but there's room for just a bed and a small desk.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
binary visions said:
That's what I said when I looked at property values down here. You can get a halfway decent 2 bedroom apartment for $450/month. Hell, the nearly 1200 sq. ft. 2 bedroom apartments here were about $750. Oh, I forgot to mention, we have washer/dryer hookups and a full sized space to put a washer and dryer in.

The "den" could easily be a second bedroom, too, in the one bedroom places. It's small but there's room for just a bed and a small desk.
Nice! Enjoy it :)

Any quirky U-Haul stories you'd like to share? It seems like any experience involving a U-Haul comes with at least one story, depending on the length of the trip. At least that trade mark smell never leaves your memory: a combination of cigarettes, sweaty socks, BO and coffee. :eek:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
binary visions said:

Sssshhhhh.
We can only let so many of you guys in a year, or it starts to thin out our accents.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
DRB said:
OH another thing whatever you do do NOT go on and on how much better it was where ever you came from. We Southerners just love that. :mumble:
Ha, some of my best buddies over the years have been from up North,
so normally I will listen to them talk about the differences here and there.
But if they so much as utter the word "authentic food" in my presence, they get an automatic wahoo chop to the nads. I just can't have that conversation again in this lifetime.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Jeremy R said:
<snip>
But if they so much as utter the word "authentic food" in my presence, they get an automatic wahoo chop to the nads. I just can't have that conversation again in this lifetime.
Easy way to temper that:

When they start talking about <some "authentic" regional cuisine> just ask them, "Have you ever *been* to <whatever country's food they're talking about>?"

If they answer "no" tell them to shut the f**k up. :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
Easy way to temper that:

When they start talking about <some "authentic" regional cuisine> just ask them, "Have you ever *been* to <whatever country's food they're talking about>?"

If they answer "no" tell them to shut the f**k up. :D
doesn't always work. i had better italian food in berlin than florence (n of 3).

go figure.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
bluebug32 said:
Any quirky U-Haul stories you'd like to share? It seems like any experience involving a U-Haul comes with at least one story, depending on the length of the trip. At least that trade mark smell never leaves your memory: a combination of cigarettes, sweaty socks, BO and coffee. :eek:
Actually, we didn't take a truck, we towed a trailer, so we weren't forced to endure the smell.

The only "story" is that I called the lady at the Uhaul place to confirm that our trailer reservation. The conversation went:

Me: Hi, I'd just like to confirm that we have a trailer reserved for tomorrow.
Her: Well, we don't have one in that size on the lot.
Me: Oh... (pause, expecting more information)
Her: We have no 5'x10' trailers available.
Me: Umm. Okay. Well, we're moving on Sunday and really need to get a trailer somehow.
Her: (nasty tone) Look, I don't know what you want me to do about it. We don't have one on the lot. I can't do anything about it.
Me: (calm tone) Okay. I'm not trying to pin you down, I just need to know what our options are.
Her: Well we have three other dealerships in the area, and they all have trailers, so we'll be calling you with the dealership that has it.
Me: (confused) So, you do have a trailer, just at a different lot.
Her: Yes.
Me: And you knew this, and already had plans to call me with where it is, later today.
Her: Yes.

Now, why didn't she just tell me that in the first place instead of straight out telling me there were none?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
doesn't always work. i had better italian food in berlin than florence (n of 3).

go figure.
True. But if you're in Greve in Chianti you're much more likely to get an authentic Tuscan meal than if you're in Buffalo, NY. :D

Edit: I think in large towns like Florence, Rome, etc. you're taking your chances, since there are so many tourists that I suspect restaurants can get away with mediocre eats.

J

JRB

I learned a lot about U-haul while I was stuck in a little un-named town in AR. Threatening them with bodily harm didn't seem to work. Leaving their piece of s**t on the side of I-30 in Dallas did get their attention.