Quantcast

Were Psylos always 125mm forks?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Just wondering if Psylos were always 5" forks - like say back in 2001 or so. Anyone know the answer? Just saw an older FS bike spec'd with one and it surprised me and makes me wonder if said older FS frame would ride fine with ohhh let's say a newer Manitou Minute 2 up front on it.

If so, this said frame could maybe be the sorta big cousin to my Ted Wojcik.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yes... for the psylo part. please don't buy one, i have 2 broken ones in my basement. the minute is stronger.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
They were not always U-turn. Originally you had to take them apart to extend the travel , and it was to 120 not 125 I think.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
MMcG said:
Just wondering if Psylos were always 5" forks - like say back in 2001 or so. Anyone know the answer? Just saw an older FS bike spec'd with one and it surprised me and makes me wonder if said older FS frame would ride fine with ohhh let's say a newer Manitou Minute 2 up front on it.

If so, this said frame could maybe be the sorta big cousin to my Ted Wojcik.

I think they were originally 80mm XC forks, and have grown into trailish forks.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
As long as I can remember they have always had some sort of travel adjust, whether it be internal or external. Pretty sure the first years were 80-120, then the U-turn came along and it got bumped up to 125.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
they were always 3-5inches. i had one of the first ones that had the u-turn, the cheaper one had to be changed internally.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
MMcG said:
not buying one - just wondering if frame in question was set up with a 100mm fork or a 125mm fork
From the 2001 manual:

Setting Sag
Psylo forks are designed to sag when you are sitting on your bike. Sag is the compression of the fork caused by the rider's weight. Proper sag allows the ront wheel to follow the contour of the terrain as you ride. Sag is adjusted by turning the top cap preload adjuster. Turning the adjuster clockwise ncreases spring preload (i.e. stiffening the spring) decreasing sag. Turning the adjuster counter clockwise decreases spring preload which increases sag.
Fork Travel Sag
80 mm 13-20 mm
100 mm 18-25 mm
125 mm 20-31 mm
To measure sag, install a zip tie on the upper tube of the fork flush against he XXX seal. Sit on the bike with normal riding apparel. Step off the bike, and measure the distance between the XXX seal and the zip tie. This is your sag. If you're unable to achieve optimum sag by turning the preload adjuster, you may need to change the fork's spring rate.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
COmtbiker12 said:
Mine only extends to 115mm. :p Oh well....
Hehe, when I rebuilt my old psylo race, I ended getting about 25mm more exposed stanchion(sp?), but my travel didn't change one bit. I had a friend take it apart and rebuild it again, no problem. Wtf? Whatever, at least I don't have that problem with Fox.