Quantcast

West Mountain NY opening for DH/FR

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
Just wanted to get the word out to those in the area that West Mountain In Glens Falls, NY my reopen for DH/FR riding. many of you probably remember the Mountain and enjoyed riding there. i hope that the mountain reopens. some of us locals are pushing to have it opened and we are thinking about getting a petition out of the names of you locals or others interested in seeing the mountain open and that would support the mountain. i know with the price of gas have a mountain close to home would be great. maybe even ones who would be willing to help clear existing trails and build new ones would be of great help to motivate opening the mountain. West Mountain has great terrain and lots of potential. show your support lets get it open. lets get some numbers, how many of you monkeys would like to see it open and how many would help?

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I hate to say it, but this has the big potential to FAIL, just like it did with their "other" grand re-opening in 2006: they opened, cleared some trails, did NO advertising, bitched when no on showed up, then shut down the lift by July and issued all season pass holders a free ticket to the tubing park as consolation...

I was there one weekend when the manager was complaining that no one (except myself and my wife) was there. He had no clue that it was the same weekend as the US Open. When he asked what that was, I had to explain that it's essentially the biggest race on the east coast.

Don't get me wrong, I would be very happy if they re-open, as my parents live less than 5 minutes down the road from West; but I think it'll again go to crap if it isn't done right.

batts65

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Upstate NY
I am with Jim Mac on this one, this place means a lot to me as I help cut almost every trail on that mountain... They need to put in some effort to get it rolling and build the business over time, it cannot happen in one season. There biggest downfall was closing in 2005 when other mountains were starting push the envelope on freeride type trails mixed with DH trails. It would also help if they had another attraction, like Jiminy Peak has with the slides and mountain coasters and other kids attraction. West is close to Lake George and could easily capitalize on such an option.

I am hesitant to sign a petition, I would love it if they did open but I feel as if they are just setting us up for another mid-season disappointment.

There best option would be to get together with someone who knows the race schedule and set up to open for 6-8 weekends during the year. Make each one a "festival" and try to make something of it. Does not have to be a race but just a weekend of riding and maybe some vendors there with demo's. Have a BBQ and possibly bands playing. Then build the business from there.

Best of luck Mike and I would love to ride there again.

ragdoll

Chimp
Dec 21, 2004
Hudson Falls, NY
As stated by Jim Mac and Batts65....

I have also put many hours into trail building on that mountain over the course of their 3 years on and off that they were open to Mt Biking. I don't think that mountain has the guidance or ambition for that matter to open for biking and be successful. They definitely have awesome trails and potential on the mountain, but the Mgt needs to be fully proactive in trying to build their rapport and ADVERTISE. They seem to have the mentality that someone will build this empire for them and they will reap the rewards w/o putting in an effort.

Anyways, best of luck to those involved. And I would ride their if they reopened. But I will NOT work for free again cutting/clearing trails only to have them shut down mid season on us riders who supported and built what that mountain currently has to offer.

My rant is over!

Peace, Mullen

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
im in agreement with all the above statements, and i think i know most of you and have ridden with you as well, probably even built and cleared trails with some as well. the mountain was awesome in its hay day years ago......... but it needs good management and the patients to stick with it to establish a name for themselves again. lots of other mountains have stepped up and have been around and have drawn the crowds, so i have my doubts that things will really take off. that being said me and a few of my boys will support it and do what we can to give it a start. thanks for all the input so far guys, sounds like at the least you all would still ride there.

younger22

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Upstate NY
I am with Jim Mac on this one, this place means a lot to me as I help cut almost every trail on that mountain... They need to put in some effort to get it rolling and build the business over time, it cannot happen in one season. There biggest downfall was closing in 2005 when other mountains were starting push the envelope on freeride type trails mixed with DH trails. It would also help if they had another attraction, like Jiminy Peak has with the slides and mountain coasters and other kids attraction. West is close to Lake George and could easily capitalize on such an option.

I am hesitant to sign a petition, I would love it if they did open but I feel as if they are just setting us up for another mid-season disappointment.

There best option would be to get together with someone who knows the race schedule and set up to open for 6-8 weekends during the year. Make each one a "festival" and try to make something of it. Does not have to be a race but just a weekend of riding and maybe some vendors there with demo's. Have a BBQ and possibly bands playing. Then build the business from there.

Best of luck Mike and I would love to ride there again.
100% agree....If things are done right. West is pretty close to being my backyard, so I would be willing to help out.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Excellent thoughts on the topic from both JimMac & batts65. West is great and SO close for so many of us, but they have a history of disappointing those who work & ride there. I would love to see it open again and would be happy to help get the work done (trail and publicity) IF the new owner is willing to do what it takes to make the mountain a success.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
look there just aren't enough riders in the area to support it and now there are so many more options to ride dh within 2 hours that those who do ride will go elsewhere. Management had their door of opportunity and chose to slam it shut on our fingers. I would not support this mountain again. Now let's talk about bringing back Gore and........

FriedRys

Monkey
May 21, 2007
On the losing end of a wishbone
I only rode West a few times, but I thought the trails were a ton of fun.

I went on opening day the last season they were open, with 5 friends. Only saw 5 other people the whole weekend, and they were all locals showing up well after noon. Apparently the word just never got out.

It's too bad, they have a lot of potential, but the current situation with so many other mountains putting so much effort into getting MTBers to show up, just makes it unfeasable right now.

younger22

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Upstate NY
It's cool to hear that non-locals thought West was fun. As much as I want it to re-open, it would take a ton of work and the right amount of riders to show up. It is extremely difficult with so many mountains in the area. Unfortunately, it was mostly locals riding there but just driving around I am seeing more and more younger kids riding on the streets on big bikes. I saw some of them in the local trails this summer but none of them were able to make it to other mountains. I f they had a place close by, they would sure as hell show up. At least that's what they all say...

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
HA, yeah thats right, i see that rig all over the place. Spory...... were is he at as of late. anyway, good point about the the younger kids, its been what 4-5 years since West was really open. another generation has moved up and is ready for a Mountain to ride on.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
HA, yeah thats right, i see that rig all over the place. Spory...... were is he at as of late. anyway, good point about the the younger kids, its been what 4-5 years since West was really open. another generation has moved up and is ready for a Mountain to ride on.
well there's plenty and if they can't get to a lift assisted one there's still plenty close by:lighten: