Quantcast

West Nile Virus - living in fear?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Ok...another kid thread from me....

So my older one has sensitive skin to say the least. She has very mild eczema, and so we have to lotion and moisturize and use special soap and special laundry detergent and and and.... It's actually not THAT big of a deal.

Anyhoo, on the weekend she somehow got ambushed by mosquitoes, and got about a half dozen bites, (she was outside for a very short time too!)......to which she reacted quite strongly, and the bites turned into half-golfball sized lumps. They obviously bothered her quite a bit.

Yesterday he had a scheduled doctors appointment and my wife discussed the mosquito situation.

Now my wife can be over-protective, no question. And she has been extremely vigilant about sunblock and mosquiito bites and all of that. (which is why she was so upset about this weekend....Emily getting bitten was on my watch).

The doc essnetially freaked saying that kids just CANNOT get bitten by mosquitoes. They just can't. The threat of west nile is just too great. Little kids are just not strong enough to fight it. They more likely than not will get...."en-se-fill-itus" (too lazy to look it up right now).....but swelling of the brain. And, more likely than not, it will kill them....or at the very least leave them brain damaged. At all costs, we can't let the girls get bitten by mosquitoes.

Ok....so that's a little scary.

This is of course more of an east coast problem. But are you guys being super freaky about not letting your kids get bitten? They used to say that DEET was too dangerous for kids. But now they are saying that WNV is more dangerous and that using DEET is less of a risk than letting your kids get bitten.

so ok, we use DEET on her....but then according to the doctor, as soon as she comes in, she needs a full soap and water bath to get the DEET of of her ASAP!

Kids really are a lot of work.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
The label on DEET sprays recommends that everyone wash it off immediately. We have horrible mosquitoes here, and quite a bit of west nile virus going around. I know that people are not sending their children outside slathered in DEET. I wouldn't sweat it. Use that Off skintastic on her when she's outside and give her a rinse when you bring her in. You should be far more concerned about auto crashes, broken bones, her hating you when she turns 13. those sorts of things.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
How about a mosquito-net suit?

Encephalitis, btw. Not good.

There are also other (quack) remedies that involve herbal balms that may or may not work (try them on yourself and see what happens?)

If you are alive you will get bitten by mosquitos and other blood suckers.

Immune systems that are used work better than immune systems that are not used.

No life is without risk, we will all die.

Bag the bug dope and take reasonable care that the kid doesn't get chewed up too often. Tell the doc and your wife to get real.

What I'm saying is that you can take reasonable steps that decrease the odds but you can't protect her from real life.

Around the turn of the 20th century the myth that people could live antiseptic lives and never fall to infectious disease was ascendant. In the century that has followed, it has become evident that we actually manage to damage ourselves with the likes of bug repellant, anti-microbial soaps, unnecessary antibiotics and the like. We use 'em hopefully, like magic spells, and we yield cancer, resistant pathogens, and weakened immune systems.

Keep the bugs off your kids the best you can, but try to stay reasonable in your approaches.

J

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
The thing about West Nile is that its severe effects (i.e. encephalitis)are usually seen in very, very young children (infants, most likely, whose immune systems are not fully developed) and elderly people, also people with compromised immune function.

Problems for others are going to be as mild as cold/flu symptoms. If you were to notice such symptoms it could be a sign of such a virus. It is treatable, though, in many cases, and often doesn't develop into an encephalitis. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Use a mild bug spray and just be aware.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
antimony said:
The thing about West Nile is that its severe effects (i.e. encephalitis)are usually seen in very, very young children (infants, most likely, whose immune systems are not fully developed) .
Well that's it preciselly. I've got a 2 year-old and a 6 month old. Both who would be at risk. It's like SARS (sort of). Most "normal" people will just get sick and get over it. But little kids are at risk to get pretty effed up from something pretty common....and generally inocuous.... that's the scary thing about it.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
So in fact regardless of the potential reaction to a bite* you need to minimise the risk. Therefore some kind of repellent would be good. If you're wary of "chemical" repellents how about something like Citronella?

Alternatively smear yourself in something that they like and they'll flock to you instead. Just don't stand too close to your kids.

*IIRC a reaction to a bite is a result of the immune system over-reacting rather than being poor.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I still think you should try a few on yourself. Smear it on and then go to a local pond and see what happens.

Edit: Apparently cats-pee works well, maybe you should test that first?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Opeth said:
The chance of getting hit multiple times by lightning is greater than getting west nile.
You base that on what exactly? (Not disputing, just curious)

...and that also depends where you live. People around here have gotten it, and at least one person has died...(last year I believe).

Fact is, our doc is not warning us about lightning, but she is warning us about mosquitoes.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
MMike said:
You base that on what exactly? (Not disputing, just curious)

...and that also depends where you live. People around here have gotten it, and at least one person has died...(last year I believe).

Fact is, our doc is not warning us about lightning, but she is warning us about mosquitoes.
Out of how many people? With those few that got it compared to the total population, the few that got it is a very small percentage. But if it worries you do use a mild bug spray.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
fluff said:
Does DEET need to be on the skin or would it work if it was just on the clothes?
Supposedly it needs to be on the skin

Otherwise, yeah I'd paint the swing set and everything in the yard with it. But apparently it has to do with oils in the skin and all that...

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
MMike said:
Supposedly it needs to be on the skin

Otherwise, yeah I'd paint the swing set and everything in the yard with it. But apparently it has to do with oils in the skin and all that...
Apply it to yourself and then wipe it onto her clothes?

I dunno - just seems like there must be an alternative.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I was using citronella when I went climbing a few weeks ago in clouds of blackflies. It worked for a while, but I think I sweated it off pretty fast.

Is there any truth to Skin So Soft working? Or is that just a suburban legend?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
fluff said:
Apply it to yourself and then wipe it onto her clothes?

I dunno - just seems like there must be an alternative.
You'd think....but the way my wife explained it, (and she was a little fuzzy on the details), but she got the impression that it's not the DEET that actually repels the bugs, but the DEET suppresses something that your skin gives off that attracts bugs....or something.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My dad bought this cool device that is essentially a mosquito vacuum.

It emits a small cloud of CO2 which attracts the mosquitos, and then it sucks them into a holding chamber where they die. If you run it for more than a few weeks, it kills enough of them that it breaks their breeding cycle.

Depending on the size device you buy, it can be effective for a few acres. It really works - his whole back yard and patio area is totally free of mosquitos. It's fairly quiet, only a dim hum when you're within 10 yards of it or so.

This is not useful for taking her outside of your property of course, but it may be a really great alternative to smearing her with DEET every time you play with her in the back yard. If you're interested, I'll get the model and more specs from him. IIRC, it was not inexpensive, but the convenience and the health factors may be worth it. Especially if you have an outdoor patio set to eat dinner on or spend a lot of time on your porch.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/westnile/

How common is West Nile virus?

In 2005, there were 236 cases of West Nile in Canada, with 101 of those in Ontario.
In 2004, there were only 26 cases of West Nile across the country. Health officials say the cool weather, better blood screening and local larvicide programs led to the lower number of cases.
In 2003, there were 1,494 cases of West Nile, with 947 of those cases originating in Saskatchewan, where there were no cases the previous year.
In 2003, 14 people died from West Nile-related illnesses in Canada, 10 of them in Saskatchewan. Two deaths occurred in Manitoba and two in Ontario. In some cases, West Nile was listed as a secondary cause of death.
In 2002, Ontario had a total of 308 confirmed and 87 probable cases of West Nile; 18 people died. (One case was travel-related; four deaths are still under investigation).
In 2002, Quebec had 19 confirmed cases and two deaths from West Nile.
In 2002, Alberta had two travel-related cases of West Nile.
West Nile caused 284 deaths in the United States in 2002.
In 2000, 21 cases were reported in the United States, including two deaths in the New York City area.
In 1999, a strain said to be virtually identical to the Israeli strain was detected in New York City; 62 cases of severe disease, including six deaths, occurred in the New York area.
In 1957, the virus was blamed for the deaths of several elderly patients in Israel.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Hmmm.... I would be curious about that. Yeah send me the info if you can.

Thanks!

binary visions said:
My dad bought this cool device that is essentially a mosquito vacuum.

It emits a small cloud of CO2 which attracts the mosquitos, and then it sucks them into a holding chamber where they die. If you run it for more than a few weeks, it kills enough of them that it breaks their breeding cycle.

Depending on the size device you buy, it can be effective for a few acres. It really works - his whole back yard and patio area is totally free of mosquitos. It's fairly quiet, only a dim hum when you're within 10 yards of it or so.

This is not useful for taking her outside of your property of course, but it may be a really great alternative to smearing her with DEET every time you play with her in the back yard. If you're interested, I'll get the model and more specs from him. IIRC, it was not inexpensive, but the convenience and the health factors may be worth it. Especially if you have an outdoor patio set to eat dinner on or spend a lot of time on your porch.