Quantcast

Western US/Canada road trip

Liam

Chimp
Jun 16, 2004
G-San Daegu, SK
What's up one and all?

This is my first post. Guess that's cause I'm usually on my bike. But having recently broken my foot, I've got some time on my hands.

I'm planning a road trip for the spring/summer 06 to last in the range of 4 months. Starting in Bellingham Wa, then South to Norther Cali, East to Colorado, North to Calgary and Banff where I'll turn West and end in BC. I'd like to spend at least a month in BC, some of which at Whistler. The reason I'm posting is that I'm trying to put in at least two weeks in each state I hit and am looking for the local knowledge. I'm not asking for your best trails as I know we all like to keep those little gems as unpopulated as possible, I'm just interested in getting out on some serious trails. XC freeride or downhill.
Open invite to anyone looking to hook up for a ride or a couple days. I'm coming home from Korea this winter and hitting the road sometime in April or May. I'll have my Scottish budy joining sometime after Colorado. We're both expert riders and looking for a challange.

Thanks in advance for the info...

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I JUST got back from Moab. If you have a free morning, you have to take a shuttle to LPS, down to Porcupine Rim. The trail f'n rocks, I even have the bruised rib to prove it...

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I have a couch you can crash on in Santa Clara, CA. Lots of XC and some DH trails around here. Jumps if that is your thing. When you come through let me know and I can probably hook you up.

I have some friends driving up from Santa Barbara, CA to Whistler(riding in between), hitting the North Shore, then Kamloops, Kelowna, and some other small riding communities this summer. I'm jealous that I can't go. Your trip is making me even more jealous.

The Ito

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
ito said:
I have a couch you can crash on in Santa Clara, CA. Lots of XC and some DH trails around here. Jumps if that is your thing. When you come through let me know and I can probably hook you up.

I have some friends driving up from Santa Barbara, CA to Whistler(riding in between), hitting the North Shore, then Kamloops, Kelowna, and some other small riding communities this summer. I'm jealous that I can't go. Your trip is making me even more jealous.

The Ito
you're in santa clara? that's a good hour south of here..you and kadvang could ride, he's in menlo park..

Liam

Chimp
Jun 16, 2004
G-San Daegu, SK
Always loved couch surfing. Might just take you guys up on it.

I'm doing all my research and planning on the net of course. Anyone mind throwing out some names of trails, areas or bike shops that would have maps? Or does anyone know local web sites that would be informative?

I'll look into Diablo and Reflux, you're right, Porcupine Rim f'n rocks, though I managed without the rib bruising. It's the street bike I can't seem to manage.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If you're heading to Utah (not on your list, but you're talking about Moab), I'd recommend southwest Utah (Zion/Virgin/Brian Head area) with maybe a side trip to Vegas (Bootleg Canyon). You can PM me if you want more info, and "Darryl" on the board here is a local there, and always willing to show people around. More technical riding (of all flavors...XC/shuttles/seriously crazy DH-FR stuff) than you can shake a stick at.

If you're coming to southern cali, let me know, too.

MD

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Hey, I just re-read that post, I see you are gonna be starting in Bellingham. Good call! Go to Galbraith. I can be a guide if you want. You could squeeze in a good four hour + ride there depending on how much energy you have. What kind of bike(s) will you be riding? Galbraith has the best all mountain trail system in the area.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
manziman said:
you're in santa clara? that's a good hour south of here..you and kadvang could ride, he's in menlo park..
I think we have before. I used to ride up there a lot with Grande and that group of groms.

The Ito

Liam

Chimp
Jun 16, 2004
G-San Daegu, SK
This is looking good fellas.
By the time next year rolls around I'll have more info on trails and not enough time to ride them.

Dwaugh, you're right, Galbraith is the sh!t. I spent about 6 years in Bellingham. Went to school there and worked for variour companies after. Hell I've probably riden with you. I haven't been there in 3 years so I don't know how much damage the new housing developments are doing. Before I left they had just cut all the trees down on the ridge trail. Depressing! Favorite trails "were" 911, Jerry's, Junk Yard, and the one off the top of the tower that I can't remember the name of. I'll look you up when I roll through in November. I plan on spending a week up there drinking that fine Boundary Bay Brew, riding with the bros and passin the sweet sticky. Korea's the sh!t, but I do miss Bellingham.

Oh yeah, Anyone feel like venturing across the ocean, Korea is a sweet place for riding. Check out the site mtbk-adventures.com. This site is for both XC and us freeride boys (and gals from time to time). Like wise, there's always an open couch for any wayward travelers.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
You probably havent ridden with me actually, I really started riding about 3-4 years ago. Lets see.... 911 has only gotten better as far as I know. Jerry's is gone, commercial clearing got it. Junkyard is just not ridden anymore, there iws a new trail, evolution, that is the freeride trail from towers, it took over scorpion. Wonderland has been rebuilt in the clearcut. Right now galbraith is really getting going again. I go do trail work as often as I can, 1-3 times a weekend, and I ride too. You probably know the trails, but there are new ones, etc. So I'll lead you around I guess. Remind me when the time comes closer. Bham also has a great dirt jump park now becasue I decided to write to the mayor asking for it. It is a year old in a few weeks.
Lots has changed, you will notice. Not much development on Galby, no new houses yet, just the road. And it wont go far, the city bought some land that blocks further development, plus lots of it is watershed land. :) :)
For the current news/meet people who love Galby go to www.galbraithmt.com I'm David there.

Ruprick

Chimp
Apr 28, 2004
kootenay
If you end up in the West Kootenays (Nelson, Rossland) send me a pm and I can show you some "serious trails". It's half way between Calgary and Vancouver.

Universe

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Courtenay, BC
Courtenay BC, on Vancouver Island. I should have this place pretty stacked by 06. Building like a madman here after moving back from the North Shore.

Liam

Chimp
Jun 16, 2004
G-San Daegu, SK
dwaugh said:
You probably havent ridden with me actually, I really started riding about 3-4 years ago. Lets see.... 911 has only gotten better as far as I know. Jerry's is gone, commercial clearing got it. Junkyard is just not ridden anymore, there iws a new trail, evolution, that is the freeride trail from towers, it took over scorpion. Wonderland has been rebuilt in the clearcut. Right now galbraith is really getting going again. I go do trail work as often as I can, 1-3 times a weekend, and I ride too. You probably know the trails, but there are new ones, etc. So I'll lead you around I guess. Remind me when the time comes closer. Bham also has a great dirt jump park now becasue I decided to write to the mayor asking for it. It is a year old in a few weeks.
Lots has changed, you will notice. Not much development on Galby, no new houses yet, just the road. And it wont go far, the city bought some land that blocks further development, plus lots of it is watershed land. :) :)
For the current news/meet people who love Galby go to www.galbraithmt.com I'm David there.
Good to hear nothing but riding is happening inthe Bham area. After witnessing what happened on the ridge then getting on a plane the next month, I never really knew what the extent of the damage was. I used to visit the site from time to time but never got too inspired by it. I read about the jump park, good on ya for that. Gotta love the strong liberal attitute in the Whatcom area.

Scorpion was the name I was looking for. Have those huge logs held up over the last few years?

Hey, do you ever ride with Scott M. He and I used to tear it up on the trail and then hit The UP n UP for Funk night. Miss that guy. If you happen to know him, tell him Will's trying to get a hold of him. I think he swore off technology and has never gotten an email. Hard to stay in touch with a fella when one heads to another country.

Nice to talk to someone from the area. Peace from the East

Liam

Chimp
Jun 16, 2004
G-San Daegu, SK
haggis said:
Location: Andy's couch- I just caught that (insert rye smile) So when's the departure slated for?
May: middle to end. Bring a sleeping bag. Won't be staying in motels much. Baths will be taken in icy rivers. Or generous fellow riders houses. I'm well outfitted on camp supplies. We'll just need food and fuel, good weahter and few mechanicals. Start putting together road trip mixes now. I imagine you'll be along for the Utah to BC leg, eh? Two months?

Cast comes off in two weeks. Wolbe 2?...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Since you're gonna be around Wa. in the wet months when the snow is still covering alot of the good trails in the mountains. As you head south keep Anacortes, South Seatac, Lake Sawyer, Green Mt., Capitol Forest, in mind. Then ask the crazy portlanders about Post Canyon as you head on down south.

When you get closer to the dates you'll be around, use the Pac. N.W. forum here, and i'm sure you'll be able to coordinate a decent enough trip thru your former stompin grounds before you happen upon warmer temps and better weather down south.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Liam said:
May: middle to end.
oh well that's a little different then.... haha you're right on the edge of when the weather warms up and the snow melts. This year here we had a light snow season, and it warmed up the last few weeks to open up alot of goodies. But next year it may be different, May/June is the border when good weather starts rollin in and high mountain rides open up.
Again drop us a line in the local forum when you get close, and we'll know more.

Liam

Chimp
Jun 16, 2004
G-San Daegu, SK
Will do Skookum.
Where you located? It's funny but for the five years I was riding in the PNW I only road a handful of times outside of Bellingham. I'd love to be shown around. I'll be home in early December, I'll look you up for some sloppy fun then. It's been so long since I've riden in the mud. What Korea lacks in muddy conditions, it makes up for in slick rock faces and basketball sized boulders in abundance.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Liam said:
Good to hear nothing but riding is happening inthe Bham area. After witnessing what happened on the ridge then getting on a plane the next month, I never really knew what the extent of the damage was. I used to visit the site from time to time but never got too inspired by it. I read about the jump park, good on ya for that. Gotta love the strong liberal attitute in the Whatcom area.

Scorpion was the name I was looking for. Have those huge logs held up over the last few years?

Hey, do you ever ride with Scott M. He and I used to tear it up on the trail and then hit The UP n UP for Funk night. Miss that guy. If you happen to know him, tell him Will's trying to get a hold of him. I think he swore off technology and has never gotten an email. Hard to stay in touch with a fella when one heads to another country.

Nice to talk to someone from the area. Peace from the East
Scorpion is not the trail anymore. It is not used, instead Evolution was built, with jumps, berms, and that big log ride is now partly ladder with a drop at the end. Search the internet (pinkbike or something) for pictures.

Galbraithmt.com has become quite major over the last few months, with new people every day it seems. It's better than before.