Quantcast

Wet Beacon

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Forecast is for rain. Anyone know what Beacon is like when it gets wet? Does it get muddy? Do salamanders mate openly on the trail? Not sure what tires will work if it rains there.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Time to bust out the Miche's ohh wait ill be on bainbridge island alas another race missed...

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
geargrrl said:
The soil is very sandy. You'll get really wet slick rock, mushy sand like at a beach, hard pack wet sand, and gullies.
So it will probably be some of the best riding ever at a WIM Beacon race!

I can't see rain hurting Beacon for DH at all.....you would need a sheet of ice to do that. :) Rain should be a good thing for a Beacon DH.

Anyone remember Wenatchee (WIM Squilchucker) in 2001? The rain made for a interesting ride for the sport and beginner racers. :D

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
nohbody said:
You say it like its a bad thing
it was supposed be , objective. It dries out pretty fast, the esmerelda side is where you get all the mud. IMO, the rocks are kind of scary when they are wet, but the rest is do-able.

geargrrl

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
geargrrl said:
it was supposed be , objective. It dries out pretty fast, the esmerelda side is where you get all the mud. IMO, the rocks are kind of scary when they are wet, but the rest is do-able.

geargrrl
Hey Geargrrl,

It might just be the different styles....the DHr's run them BIG Sticky tires and stay on the one side of the hill. It seams moisture just improves Beacon for the Dhrs. That and those rocks feel like sandpaper when they are dry....are they really that slick when wet?

krustydude

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
Richland, WA
i was up there on sunday and it pissed most of the day and it was awesome. rhino is right, the rocks are pretty grippy. i didn't have a problem. the fun part was that all the jumps had puddles in front of them so you could make a huge splash when you went off a double.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
yeah, not great drainage at lovely beacon.... but wet days are good, not to hot and no dust. grrrrr, but do to the kind of dirt... more like sand, there are narrow trenches that go down any trails that go directly down from the top.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
RhinofromWA said:
Hey Geargrrl,

It might just be the different styles....the DHr's run them BIG Sticky tires and stay on the one side of the hill. It seams moisture just improves Beacon for the Dhrs. That and those rocks feel like sandpaper when they are dry....are they really that slick when wet?
uh. I dunno. ;-) I'm not running DH tires, you all know I'm some kind of XC rider who just messes around. The worst slipping I ever did up was on the hard pack sand during a rainstorm. I just follow the word of my FR friends who'll tell me when things are slippy.... just trying to help, ya know?

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
dirtjumpP.1 said:
yeah, not great drainage at lovely beacon.... but wet days are good, not to hot and no dust. grrrrr, but do to the kind of dirt... more like sand, there are narrow trenches that go down any trails that go directly down from the top.
Actually it's pretty good, we could have east coast mud!!!

You are welcome to show up for our trail work days, we will be doing some evening ones this summer focusing on correcting some of the erosion/gullie problmes.

Us IMBA club types are asking that folks have an awareness about mud.. the esmerelda trail got about twice as wide as it used to be from all the winter mud riding this year. But I know most of y'all are staying on the front side. ;-)

geargrrl

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
geargrrl said:
uh. I dunno. ;-) I'm not running DH tires, you all know I'm some kind of XC rider who just messes around. The worst slipping I ever did up was on the hard pack sand during a rainstorm. I just follow the word of my FR friends who'll tell me when things are slippy.... just trying to help, ya know?
:) I wasn't bagging on you. Even my XC tires are 2.35 stickie tires....:rolleyes:

Maybe it is us west siders, riding wet muddy roots, that has us desensitized. lol If we can turn without banking off a tree or a stump........there's good traction. ;)

Clay is the worst substance for me to ride in when wet....even moist. Clogs the tires and doubles as axle grease in a pinch. :D :thumb: Montesano DH was hilarious for me....could barely keep the tires underneath me....and sometimes didn't. :o:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
LOL, I didn't think you were bagging on me at all! Tires is one thing I am clueless about.

You guys all have fun at the races. I'll be down at the Riverfest running a table for the club. Which btw, wish me luck. I am speaking to the parks board in about 2 hours today about what we've been doing up there, trail work etc. I have this powerpoint thing all put togther blah blah blah. They love us so far, and this is all in the spirit of being able to build stunts legally up there, and develop the riding more.

geagrrl

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
well its past time for your meeting but hopefully it all went well
i was gonna race this one but i guess next year if i am in the area....
anyone wanna hit up silver mtn sometime...especially the tri-c folk? or beacon even some time after this weekend??