Quantcast

> Wet knees dray <

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
HR just told me I have 66 hours of unused PTO. WTF? Either we get more than I thought or I didn't take enough vacation. Holy hell.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Ripe because the fruits are rotten?

Isn't getting insurance becoming a real issue in Florida? As in entire companies have upped and left their operations there.
It isn't insurance, it is the influx of Californians and North eastern type transplants that moved in getting a bargain then experiencing a hurricane or two and popping smoke. The other half is the peeps who decide to sell rather than repair.

Insurance. It's multiples more expensive than before (5-6x). People can't afford to live there because of that. Rental properties are being sold because they are too expensive to rent with insurance costs.
Its still affordable but recent changes in the maps have made it very expensive for some due to flood zones since storm surges and erosion have been increasing over the years.

I would rather be dead then own property in Florida.
Just say the word

:stupid:

I'd almost rather be dead than even VISIT that fuckin' place. :mad:
I enjoy fishing the gulf, It is a retirement home that doesn't require a snow shovel, Id never buy there if I had to work or raise a fam still.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Everyone from Florida that I’ve met wants to move it seems.
its more of a locale thing, the whole eastern shore is essentially a Los Angeles with higher rent, and Jacksonville to Miami is essentially just an overpriced slum with a beach nearby. The interior is cheap but it's a literal hell of humidity and insects in the swamp and flood plains. The Keys is nothing but a hamster wheel of tourist traps and traffic jams and being waterlocked it wears off real quick. The gulf has some spots that are fairly protected from weather and have solid secure property values but I am looking at the far west panhandle, which has the best weather, the most bang for your buck, the best fishing, and can still essentially drive anywhere without being funneled by swamps and 2 lane highways. I want a house with a dock that has water access to the gulf that is tucked back in a river somewhere.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
that's pretty much how florida is.
Seems bout half the listings I've found are typical balloon wood frame construction in flood plains or very high exposure areas. those are dirt cheap but something that was built right is much more difficult to find apparently. When I find a listing that looks good I will go to Google Earth and check out the historical imagery and some places were destroyed, rebuilt and put up for sale in less than a year.

This is a perfect example, the listing versus the Google image historic images, this house got wasted.

The damage here

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Seems bout half the listings I've found are typical balloon wood frame construction in flood plains or very high exposure areas. those are dirt cheap but something that was built right is much more difficult to find apparently. When I find a listing that looks good I will go to Google Earth and check out the historical imagery and some places were destroyed, rebuilt and put up for sale in less than a year.

This is a perfect example, the listing versus the Google image historic images, this house got wasted.

The damage here
anything near the water in florida should probably be built on 20 ft tall concrete piers or not built at all....

that's what i would do...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Wadddup yo!

couple realtors started sending me a crap tons of listings in Florida. Seems the market is ripe for the picking due to the economic timez. 60% of the listings sold in the last 6 months have sold for hundreds less than asking price.

yes, I already bought flights

in other news, been shopping the pawn shops here for deals since the economy here has been pretty rough on folks as well. Scored brand new Milwaukee M12 palm nailer kit for $100, will make boxes and switches a breeze
Bro, don’t buy property in Florida. Climate change is here and Florida is literally built on sand. It’s gone.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Seems like they are all moving, or have moved to Asheville. Every other car is Florida. And the people, how many time have I heard “Well in Florida we do it this way”

How bout fuck you.
Back in the early 2000s when I was living up there I remember over hearing a conversation amongst some wealthy assholes from Boston in which they complained endlessly about all the stuff they didn't like about the South, including us and how we talk. Yet they were all determined to move there. Hell bent on making Asheville as miserable as the place they were escaping. Fuck them !

I at least got to experience Asheville while it was still a cool, small, artsy town with amazing food and even better trails.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Evening. Light snow here all day makes it look & feel like Christmas. Concert tomorrow night with my HS kiddos and then off to NH for a gymnastics meet Friday. 'Tis the season for me to be busy.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
its more of a locale thing, the whole eastern shore is essentially a Los Angeles with higher rent, and Jacksonville to Miami is essentially just an overpriced slum with a beach nearby. The interior is cheap but it's a literal hell of humidity and insects in the swamp and flood plains. The Keys is nothing but a hamster wheel of tourist traps and traffic jams and being waterlocked it wears off real quick. The gulf has some spots that are fairly protected from weather and have solid secure property values but I am looking at the far west panhandle, which has the best weather, the most bang for your buck, the best fishing, and can still essentially drive anywhere without being funneled by swamps and 2 lane highways. I want a house with a dock that has water access to the gulf that is tucked back in a river somewhere.

.......ahhhhhhh.........

home

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
At play cafe with the little rugrat, watching the rain fall...

I'll be swinging some trail tools here in the next few days.

A highschooler has reached out and needs community service hours. I wonder if raking the leaves in my yard counts?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
but his employer is doing it right

don't pay but over allocate time off and then guilt trip into not using it

even got a new creek nearby......

Actually I use about 95% every year and get to accumulate any unused time. I did cancel a week this year after the place I was planning on spending time caught fire.

I also take advantage of some loopholes and end up flexing a lot of time vs taking vacation hours. The rules here are very lax as the actual vacation time isn't very generous but I negotiated 2x the normal hour when I was hired.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
but his employer is doing it right

don't pay but over allocate time off and then guilt trip into not using it

even got a new creek nearby......

The wife's employer rolls over, mine doesn't but I got a week more than I thought I did. I will have zero left next year for sure.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
call me next time you make reservations in CA!

we get clipped with no accumulation at a number way lower than that

some of the most cold, lonely, solo desert trips imaginable over new years with some camera equip is my personal legacy :rofl:
I get clipped at 270 hours of vacation but sick time is unlimited, can pretty much use sick days as vacation.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
lol. i get 5 weeks/yr and our medical just rolls over if we don't use it...i rarely enter my vacation into the system and never use medical. i'm sure if i bothered to look i'd have thousands of hours after being here for 18 years...