Quantcast

Wet off-angle Roots

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
really really suck .

thanks to this horrible weather in NY these days the trails are a bit moist . And thanks to one of the above mentioned roots i have a quite wonderful looking bruise on my hip. The coloring is quite amazing. I'd take a pic but it hurts to much to walk right now.. perhaps tomorrow will be a better day. :rant:

Dont you just love them?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
yes..i friggin hate wet roots...and rocks as well. something those left coasters don't know about ;)

east coast DH = wet everything
(photo from Sugar mtn thread in southeast taken by hirevs)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't mind wet roots so much. you always know they are going to be slippery. Wet rocks on the other hand sometimes have grip. Hit a wet rock garden and you have to pick the line that gravity will take you, then you a hit a rock with grip that sends you off your line.

psychodad

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
New York
the wet roots of the northeast will rule over me forever,

when I am old and in have to use a walker, the wet roots will still snag me and take me down

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
yes..i friggin hate wet roots...and rocks as well. something those left coasters don't know about ;)

east coast DH = wet everything
(photo from Sugar mtn thread in southeast taken by hirevs)
Only the fair weather left coasters. February FR can be pretty slick.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I love that stuff. Makes things interesting.

No more sloppy east coast riding for me pretty soon though. SoCal here I come.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Learn the roots.
Ride the roots.
Love the roots.

Let some air outta your tires, soften your suspension, & keep your weight forward(NOT back!). Don't try to steer, it's all about the trajectory.:cheers:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
This thread makes me want to ride.

I love roots and rocks.

The bike park at Snowshoe has tons of steep, rooty, rock infested trails, and it always rains there. Last year there was a section of technical trail that had roots growing over the rocks. I hiked back up a few times but I don't think ever cleaned it. I need to get back there.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I guess roots aren't sooo bad.. its the ones that sneak up on you that hurt the most

Last edited:

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I love wet roots. I know it sounds weird, but i think they are so fun to ride and really not that hard to manage. It had to be the fact that i learned how to ride DH at Snowshoe where the only conditions are wet, slightly wet, and really really wet. Just gotta pick that line, get off the brakes, stay light, and pin'r.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Well considering some of the best trails in issaqueena forest are literally 10 inches wide (see lake trail) and have a 30 foot drop on one side and a rock face on the other its a little hard to steer into rock or off a cliff when the entire trail is consumed by horse excrement.
bunnyhop - another lost art