Quantcast

Wet Riding: Muddy Mary ORC vs Minion Super Tacky

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Looking to get some advice as to which tires to run this weekend. Shuttling some trails in the Sierras and it going to be wet. My tire options are Schwalbe Muddy Mary Performance Line tires in the ORC compound or Maxxis Minion DHF UST DH tires. I'd run the Muddy Mary's with tubes and Minion's tubelss.

Since it will be cold and muddy I want a the tires will grip and shed mud.

Any recommendations?

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
i think you meant to say that you're going to drive to the sierras and sit in a cabin while it snows and that you need a tire that will grip carpet well.

If theres snow the muddy Marys will grab better. I've rode both in Boise in the winter and the muddy Mary did alot better.

correct me if im wrong but weren't the Minions designed for DRY dusty conditions?????

in my experience in whistler in the dry dusty stuff they were spot on but once it got damp i was back on the High roller and a lot happier. (could be what im used to ridind as its the standard tire in Ireland where its normally wet)

out of those 2 go muddy mary but its hard to look past the High Roller. (still to test out the HR2 in Irish conditions tho)

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Jesus christ.

"wet in the sierras" is not 'wet'.

Don't buy new tires.

But if you do be sure to swing by Olympic Bike shop conveniently located in Tahoe City and ready to assist you in all your tire needs! Buy some HR IIs. They gots some in dare right na. Tell'em kidwoo™ sent ya!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Jesus christ.

Don't buy new tires.

But if you do be sure to swing by Olympic Bike shop conveniently located in Tahoe City and ready to assist you in all your tire needs! Buy some HR IIs. They gots some in dare right na. Tell'em kidwoo™ sent ya!
what he said. if you're worried about tires not hooking up because its wet in the sierras, you're doing something wrong. There is no slop. And you do not need mud tires.

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
muddy mary. i got them 2.5 ORC in the front. obviously not ridiculous sticky, but they fair well. rode in some reallly nasty muck/shale/clay type of dirt today and shed it very well. felt more confidence inspiring than my buddy's 2.5 minion 3C that i tried today.

shed the dirt better as well.

squiby

Chimp
Jul 26, 2010
I normally like Muddy Marys better than the Minions but found the triple compound too slippery on wet rocks. I have heard the ORC compound is even worse. I have been running and loving the gooey gluey and am looking forward to checking out the new compounds. You don't normally have to worry about shedding mud in the Seirras, but there are trails that are the exception. If your trail is rocky and gonna be wet I would stick with the Minions for the super tacky sticky goodness. Nothing ruins your flow like slippin around on hard wet rocks.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Continental Mud Kings 2.35" are on my list of best Mud Tires out there. This is someone that came from running Michelin DH 3 Muds for years. I would consider the Mud Kings!!!!

Cecil

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
mud tires are not great tires for the sierras, because there is no mud. When it gets wet, it just gets tacky, with a few standing puddles here and there.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Jesus christ.

Don't buy new tires.

Who said anything about buying new tires?

Used the Minions and they hooked up well on the snow and what little there was.