Quantcast

>*/*<Wet Turdsdump GMT>*\*<

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
BROOOOOOOOOOOO. Epic fatbike ride (lol...yeah) last night. Absolutely perfect snow conditions; grippy snowball type snow, with a slight taint of slippage. All the trees are were covered in snow, so all the branches were hanging down at chest level. Made it fun dodging them, especially in the middle of corners next to the river. Lol's were had.

And someone lost a dog in the forest. Feel bad for the pup, I hope they found it. We bumped into the owners and they said another bikers brakes scared it off. Kind of want to slap the owners for it; this was at close to 8pm, so absolutely pitch black and they are out in the bush with a two year old dog who is apparently "seriously skittish" (their words), walking it OFF LEASH. What did they expect to happen??

Anyways..... What the fuck weather dick?? Why is it supposed to rain and be 51 freedom units on the weekend? I mean come on, is winter here or what?!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

I made a hard choice last night and decided I wasn't going to get a motorcycle. As much as I want to build a cool custom, it's money better put elsewhere (or not spent at all).

The RV is more than enough project for the winter and come spring we can all enjoy it rather than just me or the wifey with the pups at home. Much like the boat was, the RV isn't a major financial investment that allows us to escape for cheap for 3-4 days easy.

I really love the idea of taking off and going riding somewhere and be self-supporting for a few days. I love tent camping, but keeping beer cold for 3 days is a challenge. :rofl:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Not looking forward to a fight with Wifey about Haley's school regarding the Gifted status if they want her to switch schools. I am waiting to call the Gifted counselor at her school once they get opened up this am.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And someone lost a dog in the forest. Feel bad for the pup, I hope they found it. We bumped into the owners and they said another bikers brakes scared it off. Kind of want to slap the owners for it; this was at close to 8pm, so absolutely pitch black and they are out in the bush with a two year old dog who is apparently "seriously skittish" (their words), walking it OFF LEASH. What did they expect to happen??
Seriously, WTF? I just started taking Hank on walkies and he is a handful for being 20#. He may never get off lead, Abbey is amazing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hanging out in the Boston area through the new year. Kinda bopping back and forth between our parents houses mooching a driveway and visiting. Haven’t had s good chance to hang out with them in years.
roger that. wasn't sure if you were in western mass or VT. my friends in southwest VT just got close to foot of snow. wasn't sure if that was related to you staying indoors :rofl:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip> Much like the boat was, the RV isn't a major financial investment that allows us to escape for cheap for 3-4 days easy.

Not looking forward to a fight with Wifey about Haley's school regarding the Gifted status if they want her to switch schools. I am waiting to call the Gifted counselor at her school once they get opened up this am.
In our county the difference is pretty huge. Esp for elementary. The "center" school specifically had the GT teachers - which is the biggest part, IMO, of the program. My kids pretty much had the same line of teachers from 1st-6th grade, and they were almost all excellent teachers.

Outside of the center school it's a crapshoot what teachers they get (at least in JeffCo).

Also - she will *invariably* be with some kids from your neighborhood in the center school.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What does Haley think about it?
She doesn't know yet; I got the email at 9pm. I will talk with her this weekend. To a certain extent, I'm going to pull the parent card and do what's best for her, even if she doesn't know it yet.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
She doesn't know yet; I got the email at 9pm. I will talk with her this weekend. To a certain extent, I'm going to pull the parent card and do what's best for her, even if she doesn't know it yet.
This is a good point. She isn’t equipped to rationally analyze the situation.

RTD A Line was packed this morning. Maybe there’s hope for public transit here yet.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This is a good point. She isn’t equipped to rationally analyze the situation.
I'm going to explain it using the argument of "you know all of those cool experiments that we do? The kind you tell kids in your class about who don't do them at home? You'll be in a class where you do more of those. You know how right now you get bored waiting for other kids in class to finish their work because you finished really fast? You'll be in a class with other kids who also finish really fast and you'll get to do more fun stuff and learn more stuff."

She understands that type of stuff.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'm going to explain it using the argument of "you know all of those cool experiments that we do? The kind you tell kids in your class about who don't do them at home? You'll be in a class where you do more of those. You know how right now you get bored waiting for other kids in class to finish their work because you finished really fast? You'll be in a class with other kids who also finish really fast and you'll get to do more fun stuff and learn more stuff."

She understands that type of stuff.
Make sure you do this *after* you've had the fight with the wife. :D

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
New guy at work who sits next to me is not going to fit into our corner. 33 y/o with a 12 y/o. Doesn't swear. When we were talking about where we went to school, he mentioned that he went to Metro "for a while". When I said that I went to Berkeley, his response "has it always been a crazy place?" me: "uh.. yeah?" him:"did they at least let people speak when you were there?" me: :shocked:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
New guy at work who sits next to me is not going to fit into our corner. 33 y/o with a 12 y/o. Doesn't swear. When we were talking about where we went to school, he mentioned that he went to Metro "for a while". When I said that I went to Berkeley, his response "has it always been a crazy place?" me: "uh.. yeah?" him:"did they at least let people speak when you were there?" me: :shocked:
$5 says next week he shows up in a MAGA hat

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just got off the phone with the gifted counselor at Haley's school and then a follow up email from the district. Apparently they sent the wrong email. She's been identified for gifted, which we were already aware of. They have 3 indicators that she needs to qualify and she's hit 2. Talking with the counselor what they are looking for are all things that she is already doing: double digit math in her head, carrying places, etc. She's going to start pushing her a lot harder to see what she can do because apparently they haven't been. They're just watching what she does in class, which she complains about being bored doing when she gets home. More testing in December and information in January.