Quantcast

Whaddya get from sponsors?

Jan 19, 2004
denver
Okay, maybe this is a stupid question . . . but what kind of benefits are racers getting from sponsors? Mostly free or discounted schwag? Do any sponsors pay for race entry fees?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
The team that our shop sponsors gets equipment at a significant discount (no need to post the exact numbers here), and a custom jersey at cost.

In return they committed to a certain number of races this year, along with several other committments which were detailed in their sponsorship proposal.

We also met with the team and explained how we expect the shop to be represented as far as personal conduct while at events and/or wearing the shop logo.

Most sponsors (within the the industry) will offer a discount. This discount will usually range from 10% below retail to 30% below dealer cost, depending on wether it's an LBS or directly through the factory/company, and the level of sponsorship negotiated. Bigger sponsors will usually offer race support at the Nationals too. (free tuning and repair)

Occasionally, free stuff happens, but not often. As far as cash goes......unheard of at the amature levels.

Jan 19, 2004
denver
Great information.

I recently picked up a sponsorship with Dean Bikes and I am totally psyched! Dean is offering me a frame and components at a discount. So, essentially, I am getting a great hand-built, American-made dual suspension bike for the cost I probably would have paid for a Trek, Specialized or Yeti that I was looking at. Plus I get one free team jersey.

I have been racing sport with good results (around 6th place give or take a few places). If training goes well this spring, I may be looking at expert.

I haven't pursued any other sponsors, mostly because I didn't really know what to expect. I mean, if I don't need a new stem, what would be the point of contacting Thomson or another stem manufacturer for a sponsor? So maybe the key is to contact potential sponsors before dropping any cash on components.

I am interested in trying to find a sponsor to help offset the cost of my 24-hours of Moab team.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by CptnRidesfaster
I am interested in trying to find a sponsor to help offset the cost of my 24-hours of Moab team.
The only reason people sponsor you is for exposure. If you are already committed to wearing a Dean jersey, it's pretty unlikely you are gonna get another sponsor...

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Great information.

I recently picked up a sponsorship with Dean Bikes and I am totally psyched! Dean is offering me a frame and components at a discount. So, essentially, I am getting a great hand-built, American-made dual suspension bike for the cost I probably would have paid for a Trek, Specialized or Yeti that I was looking at. Plus I get one free team jersey.

I have been racing sport with good results (around 6th place give or take a few places). If training goes well this spring, I may be looking at expert.

I haven't pursued any other sponsors, mostly because I didn't really know what to expect. I mean, if I don't need a new stem, what would be the point of contacting Thomson or another stem manufacturer for a sponsor? So maybe the key is to contact potential sponsors before dropping any cash on components.

Hey, you're my teammate then!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Different sponsors give different things. It all just depends. Some teams give race reimbursement, some teams pay you for publicity appearances, some teams give you free bikes and gear, some give you discounts...it's all out there just more of it at the higher levels.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
One of our team sponsers
WIRED ENERGY:
gives us a crap load of drinks for the team and to hand out, free hats, shirts, hoodies, bennies, and more drinks.:D
They are :cool:

Jan 19, 2004
denver
I'm doing mostly Colorado races this year. Some NORBA (2 or three of the Mountain State Cup races) and all of the Winter Park series. However, I was also planning a vacation to Lake Tahoe area and wanted to see what racing I can get in on out there in California.

The Nationals aren't invite-only for Sport or Expert are they? Do you need a certain amount of NORBA point to race? The NORBA/USACycling website isn't very informative on this subject.

Are you planning any National races this year? What about Sea Otter?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'm doing mostly Colorado races this year. Some NORBA (2 or three of the Mountain State Cup races) and all of the Winter Park series. However, I was also planning a vacation to Lake Tahoe area and wanted to see what racing I can get in on out there in California.

The Nationals aren't invite-only for Sport or Expert are they? Do you need a certain amount of NORBA point to race? The NORBA/USACycling website isn't very informative on this subject.

Are you planning any National races this year? What about Sea Otter?
Anyone can do a National race - just have to sign up. No points necessary. I myself am doing most of the Nationals (except East Coast ones). I probably won't do Sea Otter this year - I've got a lot on my plate. When will you be in Lake Tahoe?

Jan 19, 2004
denver
I'll probably be out in Tahoe between July 5 and July 23. There seems to be a lull in the Colorado race circuit then.

What races are going on in Cali then? I think there is a local race circuit at some of the Tahoe ski hills. I'm trying to get some info on this.

Looks like the Nationals Final is in Durango Aug 26-29. I might consider this. Definitely in Durango for Iron Horse.

I think there is an invite process for the Championship at Mammoth.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Depends on the sponsor. Most of ours give discounts on products just as PsychO!1 mentioned, others provide financial support to send our racers/coach/mechanic/managers to events, some provide free products but they are rare, and some, depending on the rider's category and results pay out cash after events for good finishes.

Best sponsors of all though are fellow team mates, yeah it sounds stupid but if you are on a team and everyone works together to get to/from events, keep everyone in shape, moral support etc, the team and individual riders will benefit more than freebies or discounts.

Jan 19, 2004
denver
This is really good stuff. About what I expected.

As a sport racer who may consider expert if I get enough spring training, I don't really expect much from potential sponsors - just discounted schwag and maybe a riding jersey and some cool stickers ;)

I was interested in finding out what sort of benefits racers are getting that are winning or placing high in expert and above classes.

I would like to be part of a team that held voluntary training rides too and shared resources getting to and from races.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Joining (or forming) a team is probably your best chance to get "sponsored". You don't see too many individual sport racers who are sponsored.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Originally posted by Echo
Joining (or forming) a team is probably your best chance to get "sponsored". You don't see too many individual sport racers who are sponsored.
Agreed.

Team XXL started as mostly Sport DH racers with one Expert (me).

Now we are mostly Experts with a handful of Sport racers. Added a few... lost a few... it's fun being part of a team. Especially a loose-knit, not too serious one like XXL. I doubt any XXL racer will ever go "Pro" without moving on to a bigger team. That's fine. The sport needs grass-roots teams to start off with.

Our sponsors give us discounts on parts, no freebees. Some of the guys also work at bike shops and get discounts on other parts.

I've raced for a couple of shops over the years as well and I generally got a discount on parts (cost +10%) and a jersey or two at cost.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by mplutodh1
Depends on the sponsor. Most of ours give discounts on products just as PsychO!1 mentioned, others provide financial support to send our racers/coach/mechanic/managers to events, some provide free products but they are rare, and some, depending on the rider's category and results pay out cash after events for good finishes.

Best sponsors of all though are fellow team mates, yeah it sounds stupid but if you are on a team and everyone works together to get to/from events, keep everyone in shape, moral support etc, the team and individual riders will benefit more than freebies or discounts.
I agree working with a team is where it is at.
We ride together, train together, promote races together, and we have stuck together over the years.
It has helped us get the sponsors that we do have.

To me there are 2 kinds of sponsorship, in the bike industry and ourside it. For bike industry sponsors, you should look for great deals and maybe free stuff every now and then (ONLY if you will do enough promotion of the product to warrant getting it in the first place).
But look outside the industry for money sponsors. THis is the best way to get entry fees paid, travel expenses etc....
Our team is fortunate to have the bike industry sponsors that we have, but we need to work harder to bring in outside money. That is the hard part.
We just picked up a local 3 stored bike shop that is giving us a big van to take to the races, 2 tents, and a mechanic at every race. It basically fell into our lap, and we are very excited.
So far for next year, our sponsors are Turner, Michelin, Smith, Azonic, Thomson, E13, FSA, Hayes, 661, and the Great Escape bike shop.
But yeah, the best thing you can do for sponsorship is to form a team!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I want to add to the consensus that forming a team is the only way to go, there are many companies that do not even do individual sponsorhips anymore, but will do pro-form for almost any team.

Eyeware and energy food companies tend to be the most lucrative sponsors. All eyeware companies provide photo incentive programs, and most food companies do as well. Of course most atheletes seldom get print or televison coverage to exploit the liberal photo contingency policy of Clif-Bar or Spy...
These sponsors also tend to be the easiest co-sponsors for an individual to get as well.

As with any other sponsorhip agreement, a sub-pro racer should expect the ability to buy discounted product, and a semi-pro or pro racer should expect flow.