Quantcast

What’s going on at TW?

glphoto

Chimp
Aug 27, 2002
San Diego
I’ll tell you what’s going on at TW, aka Ted Williams. The San Diego Mountain Biking Association, SDMBA.com, received a letter from Mr. Jason Price who manages a portion of the Ted Williams area. Mr. Price works for the California Dept. of Fish and Game and it turns out some of the TW area is classified as a “reserve” and is managed by the DFG under Mr. Price’s jurisdiction. To sum up the letter, Mr. Price has kindly asked the DH / FR citizens who use and enjoy the adrenaline pumping trails at TW to please not build any stunts on the reserve land. Dirt jumps, doubles and singles, wood structures and non-natural rock drops would fall under the definition of “stunts”.

What portion of the TW area is classified “reserve” you ask? The good news is the maps provided by Mr. Price show the area labeled as “reserve” does not include the pond jumps, step downs and road gaps in the pond area. There was a jump adjacent to the road leading up to the lower portion of TW (next to the easy roller wall into the cul-de-sac) that was in the reserve. This jump has since been removed by the DFG since this area to the south of the road is DFG property. Most of the reserve property, by the looks of the map, is to the south of the pond area with a “thumb” heading up towards the northern end (where the upper houses are). There may be some trails that cross the DFG land but it seems that the DFG is not that concerned about those at this time. They are only concerned with non-natural “stunts” being made and maintained. What Mr. Price has asked SDMBA to do is get the word out to the DH/FR community that

1. TW is not a secret spot to authorities which means it can be shut down, and
2. To keep it from being shut down please do not build anymore stunts in and around the area known as Ted Williams.

The DFG will be walking the TW area sometime soon; monitoring the trails and stunt building, and will tear down anything that is determined to be in reserve under DFG jurisdiction. If the DFG finds stunts in reserve land during these walkthroughs they will remove the stunts. To keep what access we do have at TW it is recommended not to rebuild any stunts removed or to find new places to build new stunts.

Enjoy what we have, ride hard, stay safe, but please respect what Mr. Price is asking and let’s try to police ourselves with what’s been given before someone else becomes the police and takes that away.:cheers:

jej

Chimp
Feb 1, 2005
SD, So cal
Thanks for the info. I would really like this place to become a more official bike park.. I think the "secret spot mentality" doesn't help and I would love to see people more involved in SDMBA or other organization to gain access to trails. In the other hands, for the last 6 years i haven't see any success from any organization in so cal so it's hard to be motivated when the situation keep becoming worst...

jej

Chimp
Feb 1, 2005
SD, So cal
BTW, we (MTBLOCOS.com) met with all these guys and are going to try to smooth the relations between the MTB community and the DFG and find some kind of agreement. We'll gather and share all the information on our website. Any help is welcome. Help us by spreading the word.

2gungho

Monkey
Sep 15, 2009
South I.E
Met with MTBLOCOS about a month ago on site. We discussed the DFG plans and even brainstormed the options of placing one way trail signs that would possibly prevent injury to non mountain bikers. No new jumps are to be built, this was a rule put down by the DFG. PLEASE IF YOU VISIT THIS GREAT PLACE MOTHER EARTH HAS GIVEN US, PLEASE PICK UP TRASH AND TELL OTHERS THE SAME. We can't lose this gem.