What’s the ding dang deal here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
:confused:

12 posts in and one thread already deleted and now two are locked? Is this standard operating procedure on here or what? What exactly constitutes a thread getting deleted and what exactly causes a thread to be locked by an administrator? I’ve been on various internet forums since 1997 and never have encountered such censorship over non inflammatory posts. I realize it’s the standard pile on the newbie and I did get a warm introduction before I even logged on however this is ridiculous…what gives?

J

JRB

biggins said:
pfffffft like you actually ride
:p
I'd post some pics again, but I was told this week that it's lame to post ride pics. :rolleyes:

And as badly as I rode drops today, you'd be hard pressed to call it riding. :dead:

J

JRB

It's funny - I second guessed like 4 drops and wouldn't even ride 2, but rolled up to one and just ripped up and dropped it. I don't know what my mind is doing sometimes. I need more techy drops to practice one. The place we rode today is 7 miles of it though and I go on sensory overload.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
chicodude01 said:
You and loco keep arguing and crap, and it's pretty damn annoying.........
Arguing ?

(heavy sigh) I see this “sarcastic banter” is perceived as a online squabble by some of you that are not familiar with the flippant and tongue-in-cheek style of on line dialogue.

If you think that I’m some troll or scoundrel flame war inciter your quite wrong about me, I don’t need to scream and rage and use profanity to get my point across.

I’ve found out that reason, logic and facts along with a sense of stinging sarcasm and humor will get the message across just fine and quite most trolls and posters looking for a fight.

I see you do have a political forum and I do enjoy exposing the hypocrites and the high-minded therefore I wonder if the same constricted forum censorship applies there too?

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
loco you need to go ride out there with me some time. I'll have you dropin those in no time. After a while you start to realize that all the ones on the main trail are small. Speed, no brakes and weight distribution: breeze right through them. Downhill anyways

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Hello Kitty said:
Arguing ?

(heavy sigh) I see this “sarcastic banter” is perceived as a online squabble by some of you that are not familiar with the flippant and tongue-in-cheek style of on line dialogue.

If you think that I’m some troll or scoundrel flame war inciter your quite wrong about me, I don’t need to scream and rage and use profanity to get my point across.

I’ve found out that reason, logic and facts along with a sense of stinging sarcasm and humor will get the message across just fine and quite most trolls and posters looking for a fight.

I see you do have a political forum and I do enjoy exposing the hypocrites and the high-minded therefore I wonder if the same constricted forum censorship applies there too?

You can use correct grammar,which impresses me, and I have nothing against you, but like the spineless joke earlier today, ....:stosh: and the same goes for loco too.

Chillax YO!

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
chicodude01 said:
You can use correct grammar,which impresses me
No, he can't.

In the post you quoted "your" should be "you're" and "quite" should be "quiet". I'm not going to go after mis-used commas.

Another point: Sarcasm works in certain situations. It requires an understanding between the speaker and audience to have the desired effect. Generally, this is achieved through tone of voice. Typed sarcasm rarely works. It's difficult to convey tone with text. You and Loco may have an understanding and recognize each other's sarcasm. The average monkey on the street stumbling across a thread may not. When they read your post they don't won't form a good opinion of you, whether they are grammar nazis or not.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
chicodude01 said:
but like the spineless joke earlier today
You have GOT to be kidding…

that was some funny stuff everyone else thought it was riot. Maybe you could enlighten me on what exactly is permissible if everything is going to be scrutinized down to the finest detail to see if it’s politically correct or not on here. If that’s the case I see I’ve got my walking papers already by my own admission.

What is this the Fun, Fair & Positive Mountain Bike Forum?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Hello Kitty said:

that was some funny stuff everyone else thought it was riot. Maybe you could enlighten me on what exactly is permissible if everything is going to be scrutinized down to the finest detail to see if it’s politically correct or not on here. If that’s the case I see I’ve got my walking papers already by my own admission.

Ehm........... :stosh:

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Hello Kitty said:
You are finally seeing the light. This site is run by people who would like to keep it clean, friendly and for all people, kids included, to use.

If you don't like the rules or the way it is run, by all means go some place else. If you do like the place, than please follow the rules and enjoy the place.

J

JRB

Crash_Tested said:
loco you need to go ride out there with me some time. I'll have you dropin those in no time. After a while you start to realize that all the ones on the main trail are small. Speed, no brakes and weight distribution: breeze right through them. Downhill anyways
We'll have to gang up sometime soon. Wumpus finally rode the Banshee there. He had fun. I wish he weren't so tall. I could have fun on it too. I need to head to Bob's for some skills practice too. I figure I'll hurt myself trying his stuff. He's got skills. I don't.

J

JRB

Hello Kitty said:
Actually I’m enjoying this seeing ya’ll become insane at slightest sign of disagreement.
That's what I don't get Bill. What pleasure is to be had in someone's discontent? It perplexes me. :think:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Seems to me like you signed up here for the sole purpose of stalking Loco. While that might be mildly interesting to you, it adds nothing but negativity to the board.

If you post things that are interesting and/or bike related, that aren't deliberate attacks on another member, you might find your post (and your account) lasting a lot longer.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
Echo said:
If you post things that are interesting and/or bike related
Here i got some photos from the norba national in Waco, Texas last March i hope this seems a little bit more interesting... :rolleyes:

allison dunlap at the TT

roland green on a off camber decent

roland green on jacobs ladder theis mofo is STEEP !!!

nice short fast decent

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
The point is you really need to watch what you say because this site has a certain image it maintains and by posting something that you don't view as offensive other people might. Sarcasm is something that online, doesn't exist because of the fact that like others have said tone cannot be portrayed in text. I know that this seems terribly hard, but if you really want to go to a forum that just doesn't care for the most part...go to Pinkbike. Leave us young'uns with our innocence and ignorance of the world to be happy here at a friendly bike forum. :) ;)

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
A Man and his son were once going with their Donkey to market.
As they were walking along by its side a countryman passed them
and said: "You fools, what is a Donkey for but to ride upon?"

So the Man put the Boy on the Donkey and they went on their
way. But soon they passed a group of men, one of whom said: "See
that lazy youngster, he lets his father walk while he rides."

So the Man ordered his Boy to get off, and got on himself.
But they hadn't gone far when they passed two women, one of whom
said to the other: "Shame on that lazy lout to let his poor little
son trudge along."

Well, the Man didn't know what to do, but at last he took his
Boy up before him on the Donkey. By this time they had come to
the town, and the passers-by began to jeer and point at them. The
Man stopped and asked what they were scoffing at. The men said:
"Aren't you ashamed of yourself for overloading that poor donkey
with you and your hulking son?"

The Man and Boy got off and tried to think what to do. They
thought and they thought, till at last they cut down a pole, tied
the donkey's feet to it, and raised the pole and the donkey to
their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met
them till they came to Market Bridge, when the Donkey, getting one
of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the Boy to drop his end
of the pole. In the struggle the Donkey fell over the bridge, and
his fore-feet being tied together he was drowned.

"That will teach you," said an old man who had followed them:

"Please all, and you will please none."

Mtbkngrl

Monkey
Aug 21, 2002
Rochester NY
I'm not sure what happened or what got deleted, but I can say that I used to find RM fun and informative at one time.........Now I barely post. If the powers that be are so concerned with "children" viewing these forums, then maybe they should clean up some member's avatars... :think:

Hello Kitty- Take what you can from these forums, but beware of all the people who can't handle anything other than what is "right" in their little world. Cool pics...

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Mtbkngrl said:
I'm not sure what happened or what got deleted, but I can say that I used to find RM fun and informative at one time.........Now I barely post. If the powers that be are so concerned with "children" viewing these forums, then maybe they should clean up some member's avatars... :think:

Hello Kitty- Take what you can from these forums, but beware of all the people who can't handle anything other than what is "right" in their little world. Cool pics...
You've said it best out of anybody else so far. I think the overall point is just to make the best of it without pushing the limits for people. I honestly could care less because I think that the turmoil stirred up is humorous so I enjoy reading all of it. But really, RM still can be pretty fun and informative if you make it that and there are some hypocritical aspects about the censoring and such but...it's all good. :thumb: :)

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
loco said:
Wumpus finally rode the Banshee there. He had fun. I wish he weren't so tall. I could have fun on it too.
If you go boinging around on it make sure to undo the ETA lock(full CCW). I think I left it on after that road jaunt.

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
If you go boinging around on it make sure to undo the ETA lock(full CCW). I think I left it on after that road jaunt.
I rode it back to the truck after I put it in Jenni's apartment for a bit and noticed that. It was way more fun the second time. That 1 inch of travel feels weird when the back goes through its motions. I wish you had bought a large. Who cares if this thing is big enough for you??? :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
IMO, Hello Kitty, "what gives" is that you've contributed nothing but useless drivel thus far, and the mods are, quite rightly, nipping it in the bud.

I think if you hang around you'll find quite a lot of entertaining threads with some occasionally heated banter and ridiculous posts, and when those threads crop up, I'm sure your participation will be welcome. However, nobody likes an uppity newbie who jumps right into a forum group with stupid and inflammatory posts about members who have shown themselves to contribute a lot to these forums.

This is a private site that can be run as the owner's see fit. What they've deleted of your posts so far certainly has not, in any way, detracted from this forum - your posts added absolutely nothing to begin with.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
binary visions said:
IMO, Hello Kitty, "what gives" is that you've contributed nothing but useless drivel thus far, and the mods are, quite rightly, nipping it in the bud.

I think if you hang around you'll find quite a lot of entertaining threads with some occasionally heated banter and ridiculous posts, and when those threads crop up, I'm sure your participation will be welcome. However, nobody likes an uppity newbie who jumps right into a forum group with stupid and inflammatory posts about members who have shown themselves to contribute a lot to these forums.

This is a private site that can be run as the owner's see fit. What they've deleted of your posts so far certainly has not, in any way, detracted from this forum - your posts added absolutely nothing to begin with.
Exactly. It is not so much as that what you are saying is beyond the pale, but the fact that you did not sign up here to contribute to the riding side of the forums, but instead just to be a nuisance.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Hello Kitty said:

Oh hell... just leave ol' loco alone fer a spell... besides dh_girlie does a fine job all on her own.

What you need is to visit the Political Forum.... :evil:

Mtbkngrl said:

Man, I hate to jump into this, but I agree with Mtbkngrl.

The moderation has gone way beyond being moderate and seems to show more than a little favoritism.

To the moderators and the plebes, can we all just lay off each other for a while?

John

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
johnbryanpeters said:
Man, I hate to jump into this, but I agree with Mtbkngrl.

The moderation has gone way beyond being moderate and seems to show more than a little favoritism.

To the moderators and the plebes, can we all just lay off each other for a while?

John
So you do not agree that Mr. Kitty here only registered to give Loco a hard time in every thread? Could you break down where the favoritism here is?

splat

Nam I am
Ridemonkey said:
So you do not agree that Mr. Kitty here only registered to give Loco a hard time in every thread? Could you break down where the favoritism here is?
I hate to jump into this too. I have to Agree with JBP. And Yes RM I know it is your server and I'm surprised you put up with all the crap you put up with. ( IE the laugage thread ) But then again what do I know.

maybe Mr Kitty did jump on to Just harass Loco , But I have to say loco Baited him over here big time !!! before Mr Kitty was even over here Loco started a thread calling him a tool , and saying he should be banned even before he was here.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
splat said:
I hate to jump into this too. I have to Agree with JBP. And Yes RM I know it is your server and I'm surprised you put up with all the crap you put up with. ( IE the laugage thread ) But then again what do I know.

maybe Mr Kitty did jump on to Just harass Loco , But I have to say loco Baited him over here big time !!! before Mr Kitty was even over here Loco started a thread calling him a tool , and saying he should be banned even before he was here.
True, so what would you do if you were a mod?

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
splat said:
Finally a voice of logic in the wilderness…

Mr.Splat you are correct I had no previous intentions whatsoever to join ridemonkey.com I’ve got my plate full with a stressful job, training for our spring racing season, wasting way too much time on 5 other cycling forums and of course other life obligations yada yada yada…

What got me over here to check things out was the thread started by the person formally known as “loco-gringos” where he asked the question about how long this tool (hello kitty) would last? I let it run it’s course till I jumped in with my reply and summarily was gang tackled from the get go.

I understand completely about the “double standard” and find it humorous at the amount of anti-hello kitty posts that came from my first post therefore positioning myself as so-called troublemaker.

The problem I see the two set of rules and standards one for the “inner-circle” and a completely different set for the rest of us. The amount of censorship on this forum is absolutely mind boggling like I said earlier any hint of disagreement or controversy is quickly stamped out by the moderators.

The entire reason I like going to forums is to engage in discussions and ideas and YES that sometimes does lead to debate which can get quite emotional that’s just life…deal with it. If you want me to be a valuable contributor it would be nice to know that when ever the conversation starts getting interesting I won’t be censured by a moderator who doesn’t agree with my or someone else’s stance for their own personal reasons.

Like my little Aesop fable I posted… "Please all, and you will please none."

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hello Kitty said:
The entire reason I like going to forums is to engage in discussions and ideas and YES that sometimes does lead to debate which can get quite emotional that’s just life…deal with it.
None of your previous crap that you've posted, and that has been subsequently deleted or locked, has come from engaging in "discussions" which has lead to debate.

If you want me to be a valuable contributor it would be nice to know that when ever the conversation starts getting interesting I won’t be censured by a moderator who doesn’t agree with my or someone else’s stance for their own personal reasons.
If you actually get around to posting something interesting, and it gets deleted, then start complaining. This is like complaining that someone bagged up the week old trash in your house and lugged it to the dump for you - the few posts that have been deleted were not worthy of note and were in no way interesting. They were simply forum clutter.

Like my little Aesop fable I posted… "Please all, and you will please none."
I love how you apply that fable to the fact that you, personally are displeased. Irony, anyone? Plenty of people have, do, and will continue to post here quite happily under the "censorship" that you so mightily protest.

Posting those pictures was a good start. However, thus far, that's the first good post you've made and people with a track record of being irritating/inflammitory posters will be far less likely to get the benefit of the doubt when a mod questions whether or not a thread deserves to remain unlocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.