Quantcast

What’s a movie that everyone needs to watch it at least one time in their lifetime?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Princess Bride
I don't understand the fascination with this movie. It's enjoyable, yes, but it's just soooo mediocre in a totally 80s fantasy movie way. My wife and daughter are obsessed with this movie, but it's in no way better than any other similar movie from it's time. Legend, Never Ending Story, Labyrinth, etc.

The Prestige was amazing.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I don't understand the fascination with this movie. It's enjoyable, yes, but it's just soooo mediocre in a totally 80s fantasy movie way. My wife and daughter are obsessed with this movie, but it's in no way better than any other similar movie from it's time. Legend, Never Ending Story, Labyrinth, etc.

Labyrinth sucks. Bowie is great (as is Tim Curry in Legend) but that movie is not.

Pan's Labyrinth, however, should be on this list.

Dark Crystal is pretty good, tho. Did you ever read the Neverending Story book? It was kinda cool how it was done.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I think the draw is that Princess Bride doesn’t take itself too seriously and is trying to be cheesy stereotypes, vs NES and Labyrinth that were trying to be totally serious.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Leo's work

Django
Inception
The Revenant
Wolf of Wall street
The Departed
Catch me if you can
Shutter Island

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Now airlines, take this list and put it on your mobile movie streaming and replace the 13 Lord of the Rings movies.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Pair that with Thin Red Line and Platoon.

edit, might as well add Deer Hunter
Agree

forgot these two on my last list:
Les Diaboliques (spoiler alert: the article gives away the story-line)

Le Salaire de la peur

Seriously though, the way these movies created a feeling that grips you; I still have those feelings thinking about the movies, even if I haven't seen them in years.

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Anyone said Pan's Labyrinth yet?

I walked out of The Thin Red Line. The book is an absolute masterpiece but I found the movie to be an insulting vehicle for celebrity vanity.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Anyone said Pan's Labyrinth yet?

I walked out of The Thin Red Line. The book is an absolute masterpiece but I found the movie to be an insulting vehicle for celebrity vanity.
A prior book reading usually ruins a movie experience.