Quantcast

What 24" specific frames reccomended?

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
Id like to buy a 24" specific frame. Dont get me wrong i love my roscoe but the chainstays are to long and its not quite as nimble as i feel it could be so I decided to wait and hope soul would make their new 24" frame soon. That was around christmas and still no solid evidence of whether it will happen or not so Im in the market for a 24" specific frame. Looking for something around (preferrable below) $400 that accepts disk brakes and (preferrable) has a mtb BB. Used is fine as long as its something that can be fould and not something very obscure and hard to find.

Ive looked some and found;
DMR Rythm new around $450ish I believe

Thtas really it....help me out here, I need all suggestions

thanks

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Dude, forget disks. V-brakes are powerful, cheap, reliable, and they allow for a better wheel build.

Check out the Union Street Bikes Molly or the Tonic Fab Fall Guy for a really BMX-ish ride, or a Nemesis for a more MTB feel. All 3 are a bit out of your price range, though.

Also consider a Specialized P.1 Cro-mo complete w/ a 24" front wheel. BMX-ish geo, and has a disc brake. The complete is like $600 and you can just switch out the parts you want to improve.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
If you are going w/ 24" wheels get a USB or Tonic (my fav being USB). Very low standover, tight CS length, steeper head angles, BB at the right height. V's will work but I like the 990's a little more. Euro/Mtb bb isn't bad but the Spanish BB's have slightly larger bearings and are a simpler setup.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
i know it's not 24 specific, but .243 have 15.5 inch CS. plus adjustable rim brake tabs and sliding disc tabs to work with the horizontal drop outs. new they're a little out of range but they're around used everywhere.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
formermtboarder said:
anyone got any knowllage of it? The only dmr ive ever ridden was a trailstar which was fine. Anyone knwo anything about the rhythm specifically?
rode one with a pike and dual 24s. h/a felt steep for me, but it felt like a soild yet light enough bike. manualed well. felt a little harsh for a steel bike, not as forgiving as my .243, guess they used lower grade steel. good bike all and all.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
ihave been riding a DMR rythem for about 6 months and i am actually coming off of a Soul Cycles loki....

the dmr is a lot more fun, manuels a LOT better, and it is light. I liked the singlespeed, but eventually i put gears back on the bike via a saint setup. it is supersick with 3 speeds, fun for racing, jumping, and street.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
actually it required quite a bit of mythiical power to get this thing to 3 speeds.

i have a hadley SS hub, that can actually fit up to 5 speeds. The dmr frame has no hanger, but all the cable guides....

so i got the saint conversion for my hub and a saint short cage der, and it is super sick! really no shifting problems at all... i will try to load some pictures up right now. or maybe later

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
for everyone else:

That looks really cool. Could you do it with a standar 8/9speed hub, and just replace rings with spacers on the top and bottom? I guess the real question there would be why would you want to, because you could still potentaily overshift at the top or bottom.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
I have a woodman single speed hub with a 3-speed set up as well. Cheap and effective. The best part (I think) about using a single speed cassette is that the hub flanges are farther apart allowing of a stronger wheel build versus your typical 8/9 speed hub. It's quite easy to do. I guess the "hardest" part is adjusting the derailleur. I've only ever been able to lock out the adjustment for the bottom cog. Not a real big issue as long as you are aware that grabbing an upshift of too much may throw the derailleur against the spokes.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
To adjust the derailler for the large cogs all you have to do is go to lowes or home depot and get a longer screw, I did it to mine and it works perfectly.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
i have it set up so that it will not over shift. it is actually a hadly SS hub, but they use a regular HG splined hub, so really all i had to do was figure out the size of the cogs, and space it out correctly.

it is a lot of fun, i could not be happier!

thanks for the kind words

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
drt_jumper said:
To adjust the derailler for the large cogs all you have to do is go to lowes or home depot and get a longer screw, I did it to mine and it works perfectly.
Yep, did that. However, the longer screws didn't solve the problem. I couldn't use both limit screws because the spread in the cogs is so small (14T, 16T, 17T) which effectively located the limit screw for the large cog in the "wrong" spot on my Sram X-9. What derailleur are you using? Also, how are you healling up?

Chad

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
sorry trust didnt check back sooner...it was on an ultegra and an xtr that I did it to, as far as healing it is going slow...rehab 3 times a week, but I am finally able to pedal a bike around as long as it is flat, and I dont do anything stupid<thats the hard part though, so I guess all in all with it only being 4 weeks since the surgery its good. later adam

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
formermtboarder said:
anyone got any knowllage of it? The only dmr ive ever ridden was a trailstar which was fine. Anyone knwo anything about the rhythm specifically?
Theyre short feeling but im 6, 1. steep good geo though, solid frame.