Quantcast

What $35 will get you (bike related *gasp!*)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
My aunt has been wanting to get back into riding but she doesn't want to spend much on a bike. She found some POS walmart "next" bike at a garage sale for $15 that she bought and i tried to fix it up....but you can guess how that went. worthless.

anyhoo, we're going to the beach for thanksgiving and she wanted to have something to ride. so i decided to take a trip to the LBS that sells used bikes. low and behold, found a trek 800 that was already chopped out like a hybrid in decent condition. the shop owner had just bought the bike and it hadn't received it's workover to be sold yet, so i told him i'd do all of the cleaning/fixing if he'd give it to me for cheap.
so..$35 later it's in my truck and about 30 minutes after that it's looking nearly new again. this thing shifts better than my bikes and ,after a few tweeks with the spoke wrench, had pefectly true wheels.

so anyway, i'm pretty excited that i found such a steal to get someone back into riding :thumb:

here's a pic

oh yeah, i took the bars off that POS next bike, cut them down and put them on lil' manimals bike. he was rocking it yesterday at the jumps with the lower bars. made a huge difference.

and of course....i have to put in an action shot ;)
noah w/ the old bars at hobby park last week.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
maxyedor said:
will $35 buy me the manimal's bike that thing is sick!

nah, it was free :D i just cannabalized parts from other bikes to make it fit him better.

mikedsx just showed me the little specialized 16" bike. super-duper light alu frame and sloping top tube. if one shows up on the scratch/dent thing at specialized i'm getting him one. it'll chop off over a pound over what he's riding plus give him better geometry for his size.
ooo..found a pic of it :thumb:

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
thats awesome $35 for that bike?? not bad.. when ever i see a bike in a garage sale i take a look.. usually i will buy it if its cheap enough.. i always know some kid that needs a bike

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
man think of the tailwhips you can bust on that mini hardrock. I also always check out ggarage sales and thrift stores for bikes I picked up a mint 85-86ish spec. stumpjumper a while back for $50 rode it for a few months and sold it for $475. its amazing what you can fimd at garage sales

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Nice :thumb: Always good to get someone into riding. Unlike what my friends and I did one day, going aroudn finding people throwing away bikes, picked them up for free, and then jumped and trashed them just to have fun :D

And make sure when you get Noah that new bike, he learns to jump it with the training wheels :D