Quantcast

What a computer will look like in the future ( from 1954)

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Hmmmm.

The color picture above was taken in 2000 at the Smithsonian Institution exhibit "Fast Attacks and Boomers: Submarines in the Cold War" and depicts:
A full-scale display of a typical nuclear-powered submarine's maneuvering room in which the ship's engineers control the power plant and electrical and steam systems

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I can't access Snopes at work, but I believe this was something that they debunked.

edit: you guys beat me to it :D

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
binary visions said:
I can't access Snopes at work, but I believe this was something that they debunked.

edit: you guys beat me to it :D
yup. http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/computer.asp

some person has the original posted picture posted in a hallway i walk down when coming home from class. i have half an inkling to print out the snopes url and paste it as a note on the pic... :monkey:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I Are Baboon said:
I think "Did Fortran exist in 1954?" would be considered a dumb question by about nine people on this planet.
worded that way, yes. but a quick google for "fortran history" set the story straight a lot quicker than all this post-on-RM exchange business :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I Are Baboon said:
I think "Did Fortran exist in 1954?" would be considered a dumb question by about nine people on this planet.
I think you're wrong. I'm pretty sure 99.9999% of the population of the planet would think it was a dumb question.

They would promptly follow up with "What the Hell is "Fortran""?? :D

-S.S.-

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
jacksonpt said:
lol... fortran...

Don't laugh too loud. I program in fortran every day / most of the day. But not at home unless I'm working from home then I do.

(I'm a computational chemist / materials scientist).

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Except for the "steering wheel". NORC (Naval Ordnance Research Calculator) at Columbia isn't that much different from the picture. My dad got his start in computers there with it and the IBM 650 before going on to the Naval Numerical Weather Project.