Quantcast

What a morning, ouch...

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Today I made my friend's bashguard, it came out great in the end, but in the beginning there were some problems. Everything was fine, we started by zeroing the z-axis for each tool. The tool that was left on the CNC machine was the .015" engraver, the heaviest tool by far and probably the sharpest. We had to take that one out top put in the blank tool. To take it out you have to put a little bar into a hole and turn the tool until the bar goes all the way in, its like a key. Then you hold down a release button and twist with one hand while you hold onto the tool with the other so it doesn't fall out. When the engraver came loose and fell out, I wasn't ready for its weight (with my left hand, too, not my strong hand/arm). I had it, but its weight made it drop straight into the skin on the edge of my left hand's little finger, if I would have moved it 1/4" the tool would have missed me, but it didn't miss me. It had only fallen two inches but its weight drove it into my finger a litlle ways. I stopped for a second just to look, didnt feel anything at first, I pulled it out and put it away. My teacher asked if I had hurt myself, I said I hadn't, it wasn't even bleeding. A few seconds later it started to bleed, and not just a little. As he found a band-aid I held my finer in my sweatshirt's sleeve unintentionally, now its a bit stained with blood. :rolleyes: After I get the band aid I run to the bathroom which is just down the hall and get some paper towel out to get the blood off my finger. I hold the towel there for a while, I'm feeling ok, just kept applying pressure to my finger to stop the bleeding. Suprisingly, though the cut was deep, it stopped bleeding within a minute or two. I decided to go to the toilet a bit to relieve myself. :rolleyes: (and to get some rest). While I was holding my finger one person had come into the room. As I turned to go to the stall, about halfway there, I got really dizzy. The next thing I know I am being asked, "how did you fall?" :dead: I felt that the back of my head really hurt and I open my eyes and realize that I am laying on the floor on my back, not quite to the stall yet. I explained, got up, wsa just a bit dizzy, got to the stall and rested a while, I was really sweating so I took off my sweatshirt.
So, I'm ok now, my finger and head I can still feel a bit, but oh well, I have to go to class now. What a morning. :rolleyes:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Sucks, I know the feeling. Here's my little story.

Last Winter I was riding my bike to class one afternoon to a class that I had a quiz in each day (so I had to go). Anyway, so I'm wearing some cargo pants and a pair of birkenstocks as I had no clean socks. My road bike had a set of water bottle cages that one of the pant legs caught while I was making a turn up onto a driveway. So, my pants stop and my legs keep pedaling, sending my feet off the pedals and the skin around my achilles (sp?) right into the clipless pedals. Thankfully I was near the health center, so I stopped in and saw a HUGE line. I didn't want to wait so I went into the bathroom and grapped a sh1tload of paper towels to stick in my pants and birkenstocks. Long story short, I went to class, smoked the quiz, one girl almost passed out from the blood, got a screaming headache after the first hour of class, I stained my pants that day and the bedsheets that night, AND have the scars to prove it :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
WestCoastHucker said:
when you woke up on the floor of the bathroom, were your pants pulled down? :eek:
And was some guy, who looks a little bit like the Mona Lisa, standing over you, grinning feindishly?

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
binary visions said:
And was some guy, who looks a little bit like the Mona Lisa, standing over you, grinning feindishly?
Haha, no, he had just come out from the stall that I was laying in front of. I wasn't out for long at all, at least that's what I think...
I know the guy, he's ok. He just made sure I was ok and left. It's funny that the cut I got is so small but caused so much hurt. Actually, my head hurts more than my finger right now. :( I must have hit the floor really hard.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
dwaugh said:
<snip> As I turned to go to the stall, about halfway there, I got really dizzy. The next thing I know I am being asked, "how did you fall?" :dead: I felt that the back of my head really hurt and I open my eyes and realize that I am laying on the floor on my back, not quite to the stall yet. I explained, got up, wsa just a bit dizzy, got to the stall and rested a while, I was really sweating so I took off my sweatshirt.
<snip>
Whoa. You're a wuss. You should maybe start wearing something like this:

-S.S.-