Quantcast

What a morning

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
So earlier, my dad drove some friends and me up to the mountain for our snowboard team practice. It consists of driving about 15minutes up a pass on the freeway then 30 up the access road to the mountain. The whole time we were driving up the freeway it was just pouring rain, you could see some little waterfalls coming down from the hills on the right. So when we get up to the access road, it starts snowing and we drive up. When we get there it turns out the mountain is closed due to blizzard conditions, so we drive back down.

Now the snow is turning to rain while were still on the access road coming down. So we get back on the freeway and it is still just pouring, but we think nothing of it as were all (save my dad who doesnt really care) pretty bummed that the mountain was closed. Everything is pretty uneventful until we reach where the biggest waterfall was. Right as we were approaching it, it turns into a HUGE mudslide/flash flood. We have the divider between us and it, but a car on the other side wasn't so lucky and got pile drived into the divider. There were huge logs and bushes getting pushed down by it, and it showed no signs of letting up, so we decided to get the **** out of there. We passed by before it made it across the divider.

Other peoples were stopped and some highway patrol peoples were stopping traffic almost immediately, so I don't think we were needed.

It was one of the scariest situations I'v been in, and I hope the person/peoples in the other car that got caught in it are ok.

Sorry if my grammar/storytelling skills aren't very good.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
Mudslides suck. Almost as much as avalanches, but not as much as rockslides. :D
That was very insightful, thanks ;)

Glad to hear you made it out okay, Jeenyus!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Chuck Norris would have ripped his snowboard off the car, and would have done a 1080 over the railing and surfed the mudslide all the way to the bottom of the mountain, all while keeping his cig lit, barefooted.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
SkaredShtles said:
Do you SE'ers get mudslides?

Oh - :eviltongu

Yes and rockslides. I-40 between Asheville NC and Knoxville TN gets a major one every couple of years. I'm sure it happens other places too.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
That service road up to the top of Mt. Ashland makes me sick. I hate driving in Mountains.

Anyway, my cousins live in Ashland! Long ways away from me though...