Quantcast

What a pain in the ass.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
So we have this gig tomorrow night, we got stuck with some opening band from another city who actually planned to just show up and use all our gear. After a bunch of back-and-forth, we decided to share most of the drum kit and maybe the bass rig. I dunno who these guys are but apparently nobody in the band has a phone, the only way they seemed to be able to communicate was through myspace messages. Anyway this morning they cancelled, so we get stuck looking for a decent band that will take a last minute gig for very little money. :rant:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
It was probably H8R's crappy band that backed out of the show.

And screw playing for 4 hours anymore. I'm too old for that :D

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Just play an extended set and jam your brains out.
Gigs are a pain in the ass, that's why you have a day job (sort of). Craig's List?

I remember The Cult show at LaLuna (1995? valentines day) when it snowed the day before. The opening band couldn't get to the gig and half the people didn't show, either. It was a 4+ hour jam for about 200 people. It was awesome.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
So we have this gig tomorrow night, we got stuck with some opening band from another city who actually planned to just show up and use all our gear. After a bunch of back-and-forth, we decided to share most of the drum kit and maybe the bass rig. I dunno who these guys are but apparently nobody in the band has a phone, the only way they seemed to be able to communicate was through myspace messages. Anyway this morning they cancelled, so we get stuck looking for a decent band that will take a last minute gig for very little money. :rant:
Yeah, that's a tough one. Bands like that suck.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
I've only ever played one gig and it wasn't even for my band.

One of my buddies messed up his wrist while skateboarding and couldn't play bass anymore, so he called me up because he knew I knew most of his band's songs. I mooched a ride off of the vocalist (also a friend of mine) and we played through all the songs I knew. He was up for a 2hr set and by the time we got done with all the songs I knew it was only 1hr 30m into the show, so we all grouped up near the drummer, talked it over and decided what we'd do is just jam, starting with a bassline then the guitarists and drummer picking up on that. The vocalist wouldn't do anything.

We managed to pull a 30 minute jam session clean out of our asses. It was epic, too. We moved all around the spectrum of genres, it started out like punk, transitioned to rock, around to jazz, and we finished on metal. Transitions were done when the drummer would do a quick solo and me and the guitarist would choose what to play next, then the bass intro + drums followed by guitar.

People, after the show, when we were packing up, kept approaching us and asking us if we had planned that jam or not. It brought a smile to my face every time I got to tell them "nope, that was pretty much pure improvisation".

Haven't played any gigs with my band yet, but then again, we haven't released any EPs or albums to play a gig about, so.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Some opening band: "Can we use your gear?"

Wise musician: "No."