Quantcast

What a Weekend - Massanutten Race

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
Hello Everyone,
I wanted to share my story about the Massanutten Race. For me, this race starts off the season. I look forward to this race because it is fun and it is like a family reunion. The women's class was big this year. I think 12 in the beginner/sport class and 5 in the expert/pro class. I have never seen this many women at a DH race before. I was so excited.

Practice on Friday was good at first. I worked the top section of the course to get my lines down and then did a full run. Second run, not so good. Crashed hard coming out of a turn which resulted in deep cut above my eye. I got back on the bike and headed down the trail. As I made my way to the car I noticed a lot of people looking at me. The blood from my cut and the sweat on my face gave the impression I had been mangled. Not an attractive look. After cleaning my face, I was advised by the paramedic to go to the EME because I needed stitches. So, I took his advise.

Now comes round two. I made it back to the trail with enough time to do one more run. I was feeling good so I geared back up and headed to the top of the mountain. This time, I crashed in the rock garden. I stood up and laughed it off. Today is not my day I thought. So, I gathered my bike and headed back to the top to do it again. As I was walking I noticed my left ankle was sore but I kept moving on. Made a full run and decided to call it a day. We headed to the room, showered and ate dinner. During this time, putting pressure on my ankle became painful and the swelling started. I proceeded with tylenol and ice. Nothing was working. The pain was so bad I thought I had broken my ankle. So I head back to the hospital to have it x-ray. Good news, no broken bones just a severe sprain. The Dr. wrapped it and told me not to put any pressure on my foot. So I left the hospital with crutches.

Needless to say I was extremely disappointed with the turn of events but thankful at the same time because I have seen worse. I still had a good weekend because I was able to watch the race and enjoy the after race stories. I would like to say Thanks to VT, Hillary and to all the others for the support I recieved over the weekend. I really appreciate it. I hope to see you all at Wisp.

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
That sounds so tough. Sorry you didn't get more runs in. There is so much to consider in Downhilling. In XC, if you flub one section, you can usually make it up somewhere else,...but with DH it's all or nothing. I do hope your ankle heals quickly so you can get out and ride some more. Injuries in the biking season stink!

I am envious of all the women you had at One race! Wow! It must have been great to watch. Hopefully they will be at more races this year. Videos until then.

I would have gone to VA, but I was instructing a XC womens All Girls Day Ride clinic. This was after organizing a kids day race and the NJ middle & high school state champions in the morning. It was awesome to see this one girl in middle school that past ALL the boys to win the whole shootn match!! It was a good weekend even if I didn't see you guys DH in virginia. Healing vibes headed your way, jess

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
I sure do hope you heal up fast! DHchix and I talked about her having the exact same injury in the same rock garden that I had last year. I think it was 2-3 weeks before I was doing XC again and the rest of the year with an ankle brace....(I'd highly recommend the ASO braces and Body Glide to prevent chaffing)

You were in really good spirits and I hope you are up and riding soon.

It was great to see so many women this weekend. There were 11 names and 7 starters in the beginner/sport class. Two of my friends in that class had a pet emergency at home and had to leave early Saturday morning. I told the race coordinator and he was nice enough to give them a 1/2 price entry to next year's race which I totally didn't expect.

It was a great weekend and I hope to see just as many women up at Snowshoe this season.

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
Thanks Ladies for the wishes. I know the risks involved with DH is what makes the sport fun and interesting. How far can you push the risk factor? Some times more than others. I'm looking foward to the next race and hopefully seeing a lot women racers.

NC Jess: I think it is so great that you spent time instructing the XC girls clinic. Those girls are fortune to have some one like you who will spend time helping them.

TreeSaw: I feel the vides - Thanks.

One more note: we need to send congrats to VT on her victory at Mass. She is one fast rider. I hope to see you at Wisp and Snowshoe.

Well, I hope everyone has a wonderful evening.